• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fees and taxes exceed airfare

Lucky Larry

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why fees and taxes have gone up so much? We're going to Germany in July and the fees and taxes for the flight to Frankfurt from Dulles are about $700 while the "fare" is $625.

We're waiting until May to see if the prices come down and book then hoping they don't go up anymore.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why fees and taxes have gone up so much? We're going to Germany in July and the fees and taxes for the flight to Frankfurt from Dulles are about $700 while the "fare" is $625.

We're waiting until May to see if the prices come down and book then hoping they don't go up anymore.
What airline?

Some airlines are known for advertising a low "fare" then adding mandatory fees that end up making the total cost the same as other airlines. For example, I recall reading several years ago that Ryan Air decided to isolate fuel charges from the fare. So they quoted a low fare, but when someone went to buy the ticket a fuel surcharge would be added to the ticket price. Then taxes and other fees would be added on top of that.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Going thu the UK by any chance? High taxes for flights there.

Lucky Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
No going straight from DC to Frankfurt.

I'm also amazed at how much the cost of flights has increased over past years.

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
What airline?

Some airlines are known for advertising a low "fare" then adding mandatory fees that end up making the total cost the same as other airlines. For example, I recall reading several years ago that Ryan Air decided to isolate fuel charges from the fare. So they quoted a low fare, but when someone went to buy the ticket a fuel surcharge would be added to the ticket price. Then taxes and other fees would be added on top of that.

I love using ITA Software for searching for flights. The price they show you INCLUDES all the fees and taxes - so what you see is what you get. It is not a booking engine, but gives you the info to go directly to the airline and book.

Joan-OH

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No going straight from DC to Frankfurt.

I'm also amazed at how much the cost of flights has increased over past years.
I believe there are two things going on there.

First is greater operating expense, particularly fuel costs being passed on to customers.

Second is much better load management. Over the past four or five years I've noted both that plans are overall fuller than they used, while I'm also collecting many fewer overbooking vouchers. With better load management there's less need to discount air fares to fill the planes. That translates to generally higher fares.

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a no advertising site, but

I hate to "plug" a site that collects fees - but expertflyer.com is great too - you can get a free trial account to see for yourself. I use the fare information found in expertflyer (which also included routing tables) and then build an ITIN on ITA software.

Learn to use faring codes in itasoftware and you will be a champion - no wonder why google bought them out!:clap:

The ITA wesite is www.itasoftware.com. I use this website often and love it.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

British Airways by any chance? They are notorious for adding a "Fuel Surcharge" that can be huge. Other euro airlines also tend to do that as well.

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Lucky Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
The flights were direct from Dulles to Frankfurt and were not on British Air but on a variety of airlines.

Thanks for the info on ITA. I had not heard of it before. I've gone there and now just have to learn to use it.

larry