• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Disney World First Timers ?? Best/ Recommended RCI Resort for Family ??

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to book our first family trip to Disney World for next July/ August, since the kids will be out of school and we can freely travel and enjoy ourselves. I have banked 2 resorts and can combine them to get maximum trading power in the area. We plan to stay a week, enjoy the area & parks in a leisurely manner, will visit one (1) park per day.

What we are looking for in a resort:

1- Location/ Access to Disney, within a reasonable distance say 10-15 minutes
2- Amenities that include Kitchen & Laundry, we plan on eating in the resort to save money to spend elsewhere. Also Laundry in the unit is a huge plus so we can take care of as needed with convenience on our own schedule.
3- Free/ Complimentary Transportation to Disney (Would be nice so we can jsut sit back and ride over and not fight to park, and run around looking for our car)
4- Pool & Activities for us when we decide to just hang out and take it easy.

Plus anything else you may think of htat we should look at, do, enjoy, or take into consideration. From reading hte post seems like Bonnet Creek & Vistana are 2 of the top Chioces, which I have looked into as well as Summer Bay.

We are open to options, and would like fedback if you have been there and experienced Disney or any of htese resorts. Thanks :!)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You should stay at one of the Disney resorts. I love all of them, but my absolute favorite is Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

I would stay at any Disney resort for the amenities you want. They have kitchens, laundry, fabulous pools, transportation to/ from parks, and the points required are not all that high. Any 2 bedroom you can get at Disney is going to be a wonderful experience. If you have a choice of several, look at the pictures on the Disney website, and the location of the resorts, and make an informed decision. I take whatever I can get, when it comes to Disney.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
3- Free/ Complimentary Transportation to Disney (Would be nice so we can jsut sit back and ride over and not fight to park, and run around looking for our car)

for this, the DVC resorts are the best option (assuming you have at least 25 TPUs when you combine weeks.)

the DVCs naturally also have the other stuff you mentioned.

outside of the DVC resorts, it's probably better to plan to use a car...

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree. If you're looking for transportation to Disney, a DVC unit would be best. If you stay off-site, you really need a car. Just about any Orlando timeshare or hotel offers shuttles to Disney, but none of them are anywhere near as frequent or convenient as Disney's.

If you're okay with a rental car, there are some awesome off-site locations. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is my favorite off-site location, although the Marriott's, HGVC's and many others are good as well. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is the closest (actually on site, next to Caribbean Beach Resort!), though.

You should be able to get into DVC or Wyndham Bonnet Creek or just about any Orlando resort any week next July or August by setting up an ongoing search now.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney resorts would be your best choice with your criteria. You can use Magical Express for transportation to and from airport to resort (free and they handle the luggage) and then you have access to all the parks via their free disney buses.

Put in an ongoing search now, don't wait to hope for sightings. Especially if you need a 2 bedroom.

If you decide on an off site resort, you really need to get a rental car.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing, does it have to be July or August? The heat and humidity then is really really bad.

If you want to go when kids are out of school, can you do late May or early June? Still real warm but not nearly as bad at July and August.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing, does it have to be July or August? The heat and humidity then is really really bad.

If you want to go when kids are out of school, can you do late May or early June? Still real warm but not nearly as bad at July and August.
Is it really that much worse in July and August? We've only been in September, October, December, February and May, but our first August trip is coming up. Looking at average highs, July and August are the worst (92), but June and September are close (90) and even May isn't much cooler (87). I know it can get quite a bit hotter than the averages (it was in the mid 90s when we were there in May). I guess the other factor is the humidity and rain, but once again June and September are almost as bad as July and August.

We plan on focusing on the parks primarily in the mornings (rope drop through lunchtime) when we're there in August.

llenod

Reaction score
Is it really that much worse in July and August? We've only been in September, October, December, February and May, but our first August trip is coming up. Looking at average highs, July and August are the worst (92), but June and September are close (90) and even May isn't much cooler (87). I know it can get quite a bit hotter than the averages (it was in the mid 90s when we were there in May). I guess the other factor is the humidity and rain, but once again June and September are almost as bad as July and August.

We plan on focusing on the parks primarily in the mornings (rope drop through lunchtime) when we're there in August.

We have been 9 times. The very best time to go is in Oct. It hovers in the 80's and the crowds are minimal.

We are here now, and the parks are just so crowded. Couple that with 95 degree days and 100% humidity. It is borderline miserable.

October, fast passes aren't really needed. You also get the opportunity to do the halloween stuff at WDW.

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been 9 times. The very best time to go is in Oct. It hovers in the 80's and the crowds are minimal.

We are here now, and the parks are just so crowded. Couple that with 95 degree days and 100% humidity. It is borderline miserable.

October, fast passes aren't really needed. You also get the opportunity to do the halloween stuff at WDW.

We have been there 3 times in Oct and the weather and crowds have been great. In addition to Halloween activities. Epcot has the Food and Wine Festival. Dawn

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
+2 for October - absolutely my favorite time to go. We have never had a hurricane scare, warm enough to swim, cool enough to not melt, crowds are low --- it really is the perfect time. I liked it even better before food and wine. I really don't get the attraction of F&W.

Now to answer the question. I would highly recommend any Disney resort - my favorite is Old Key West. I like it because it feels relaxed and calm when you get back from the activities in the parks. Almost every single stay I have had a nice view - just grass and water but it makes me happy. I like the main pool and the pools at Miller Road and Turtle Cay - none of them are fantastically themed. They are nice large pools with laundry facilites nearby. Turtle Cay has a snack bar that is open during the summer.

I have enjoyed my stays at Wilderness Lodge Villas (just remember to take the boat, not the bus, to Magic Kingdom) and Bay Lake Towers. Boardwalk Villas seems too hectic to me - but the location is fantastic. Beach Club has the best pool and relaxing theming, but I don't like the views in the villas. Animal Kingdom is too dark for me to see well - but I am in my 50s and lack of light is a problem for me. At the same time, I LOVE the activities and general theming of Animal Kingdom. If I could see there, it would be my next to my favorite resort. Because I can't see, it is my least favorite.

I like Saratoga Springs, but I would choose it AFTER Bonnet Creek if I were getting a car. I don't like the floor plans.

We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek last December. I have friends that own at Disney and prefer Bonnet Creek. If you are going to rent a car, Bonnet Creek is wonderfully convenient. It is located really close to Epcot and Disney Hollywood Studios. And is convenient to both Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. And the villas are lovely. It was in the 30s while we were there and we didn't get in the pool. But more than once, we saw people coming in from the pool - so it must be well heated - not that that is a concern in July or August.

elaine

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, it really is.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to college near Orlando. No air conditioning. Each summer back home,I worked at as a lifeguard outside or lived in a tent in the woods. It was hotter in Florida in late August than anytime in the hot & humid area where I lived.

Yes, it is HOT. It is also 100% humidity with late afternoon thunder storms. The sun MAKES the pool water too hot to be in.

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score

We were there last June at the Beach Club for 10 days. It is hard to do any parks at all during the day. It was extremely hot even in the mornings. My DD's forehead actually swelled from either the sun or just being over heated. I suggest, pools, water parks or indoor activity during the day and parks at night, after dark! Take advantage of the late night extra magic hours if possible and sleep in the next day. Have fun!!

mecllap

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP -- It's great that you're getting a start on researching and planning for your trip -- a good resource is disboards.com for general questions -- check the Tips and Budget threads, and the DVC threads. People tend to underestimate how enormously huge Disney World is, how hot and crowded it can be, and just how much there is to do there. You will be able to hit some (maybe most) of the "biggie" highlights, but you will not be able to do everything you hope or plan to do.

Parking is not exactly a fight -- you will be directed to a spot and reminded to make a note of your section and row (but you will need to remember how far down the row you are -- some of them are very long). If you stay off-site, including Bonnet Creek, you will have $14.00 per day parking charge. Staying on-site is a great idea for a first visit -- there are several nice timeshares near WDW, but I don't know which are RCI (the Marriotts are great, but they may just be II). We do just fine staying off-site, but we've gone there a lot so know the ins and outs. Even staying on-site, it's helpful to have a car, "just in case" -- and then the parking is included. Staying on-site also gives you access to "Extra Magic Hours" which sometimes are helfpul, sometimes also really crowded.

You can take food and beverages (no alcohol, no glass) into the parks, if you are okay with carrying it. Cargo pants are helpful -- esp. in the heat, it's good to travel light. You can ask for cold/ice water (for free) at any Quick Service food restaurant.

Get to "rope-drop" opening each day, and leave when someone starts getting tired and cranky for a break -- you can go back to the same park later (if you get a "park-hopper" you can go to a different park).

And yes, it's miserably hot in July and August (but we're going in about a month anyway). Expect afternoon showers (take cheap ponchos for everyone) -- but they usually pass quickly, so you don't need to leave the park -- just take shelter.

Have fun planning and enjoy your first visit (use the Photopass system so everyone in your group is in some pictures -- they will snap one with your camera, too).

LadyBeBop

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP -- It's great that you're getting a start on researching and planning for your trip -- a good resource is disboards.com for general questions -- check the Tips and Budget threads, and the DVC threads.

I'll also second the Disboards. It will tell you a lot about WDW. I'm on the Budget thread a lot. And the tips on the Budget thread isn't always Disney..it's just family budget tips. Good resource.

Never stayed at a DVC resort. But we're banking two years of condos, and we're hoping to stay at one for our granddaughter's fifth birthday. October 31, 2013. I'm already counting the days. Hoping I can start a search at the 24 month period, although I won't have the necessary TPUs until after I bank both years (I've prepaid 2012's condo fees, but I won't be able to bank 2013 until next year). I don't anticipate getting anything until around the 11 month period though.

I've thought about Bonnet Creek. I have 126,000 Wyndham points; enough for a two bedroom over my granddaughter's birthday. Problem with that is...I have them on even years only. :( I still think I'd rather go with a DVC resort.

Last two times, we've traded into Orange Lake. Great place; can't say enough about it. However, it's still about 15 minutes to any park. That's why we're trying to get a DVC resort. That, and the Disney magic, of course.

Good luck to you, and wish me luck on my end. :wave:

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many Thanks . . . 4 the Replies

Thanks for all the info... I have been reading the threads here on TUG & on DISBOARDS, a lot of info and extremely vaulable. I always try to do my homework in advance so as to make our trip more pleasurable and be knowledgable about most everything, as to have no surprises :)

Looking as Disney Resorts, do they bank them (make them available) in lots, at certain times or how do they work. Also saw some Bonnet Creek and others, but are only available through Feb 2012, are they also banked in lots or certain time frames ??

As for TPU banking my 2 weeks & combining them gets me 29 TPU, so looks like there are many options. Guess the bad part is just waiting for something really good to come up... I must learn the art of patience :rofl: So DO we WAIT for Disney or book something soon, saw plenty of Vistana, Orange lake, and Summer Bays Available in that time frame. What is the big Difference between Vistana & Vistana Villa, then Summer Bay and the Houses at Summer Bay ?!?

In regards to transportation, is it better to drive to the Resorts or use Disney Transportation ?? We most likely will have a car while we are there.And we will most likely visit one park per day. Yeah I know it will be hot & muggy, and the kids here get out mid June from school and go back first of September, so that is the main reason we shose July / August to travel. This also allows us plenty of time if we drive down and drive back to really enjoy ourselves and take our time.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVCs and Wyndhams all bulk bank. What you see now is a good indication of how far in advance each bulk banks. TUG Members can also use the Sightings forums to see previous bulk bankings that have been reported to get an idea of frequency, number of units, how long they stay, etc.

If you stay off site, a car is definitely best. If you stay on site at Disney (at a DVC property) and you have a car, either way works fine but driving is generally a little quicker/easier. MK is one exception, where the Disney transportation is more convenient (because of the TTC and Boat/Monorail). Also, BCV and BWV are a short walk to Epcot (and a little longer walk to HS) and BLT is a short walk to MK.

YeongWoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Blue Green
How old are the kids?

1- Location/ Access to Disney, within a reasonable distance say 10-15 minutes
2- Amenities that include Kitchen & Laundry, we plan on eating in the resort to save money to spend elsewhere. Also Laundry in the unit is a huge plus so we can take care of as needed with convenience on our own schedule.
4- Pool & Activities for us when we decide to just hang out and take it easy.

Plus anything else you may think of htat we should look at, do, enjoy, or take into consideration. From reading hte post seems like Bonnet Creek & Vistana are 2 of the top Chioces, which I have looked into as well as Summer Bay.

We are open to options, and would like fedback if you have been there and experienced Disney or any of htese resorts. Thanks :!)

From my standpoint the age and number of kids is a huge factor. Everyone probably should leave the park mid-day to avoid the heat but it's absolutely required when you have younger children. So quick and easy transportation is a premium for those with younger kids since you will make several trips to the park everyday. I love Bonnet Creek and I've used their free transportation to the parks but there weren't enough afternoon shuttles when I was last there. Disney's transportation is far superior. I sounded like you didn't want to drive/park so those would be your best two options. I can't speak directly about the other resort shuttles but comments that I've read about them weren't good. Typically, there is a posting on the resort review about quality of the shuttle service. With all that said, I will add that the driving and parking thing isn't really that bad. You can often get to your resort in the time it takes to wait on a shuttle...

With regard to some of your other comments. A couple of the biggest reasons that I would stay a Disney resort would be the extra hours and the Disney Dining Plan. The extra hours allow you access to the park prior to or after the regular park hours. It's usually several hours of bonus park time and it's during the coolest part of the day. The Disney Dining plan is expensive but for a first trip I think is justified. I use the plan mostly for the character meals. Take Chef Mickey's for example. You have a buffet dinner while various character come around to your table for autographs and pictures. It's one of the most memorable parts of the trip for kids. Chef Mickey's would usually cost about $125 for the 4 of us but it's included in the DDP. There's a lot of debate about whether it actually saves you money or makes you eat more than you otherwise would and idk, but it makes sense to me for a first timer.

The last thing I'll add in addition to researching Disboards is to look at Tour Guide Mike or the Unofficial Guide to Disney. There is some discussion on the boards as to which one is best. I like TGM but I haven't used it in years. Either one is well worth the money for someone who likes to plan ahead. Crowd management is one of best things you'll get from them.

BTW, either the winter or spring break would be better weather wise. I'd even vote for June over July/August. In August you are in prime hurricane season so get the insurance. I've been in August before and you won't have any problems if you have the right plan.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the constant threats of thunderstorms, I would try to avoid July and August. This year has been very hot and humid so far. We've had day's of high 90's which is stifling with the humidity.
Bonnett Creek would be an excellent RCI choice.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed!

With the constant threats of thunderstorms, I would try to avoid July and August. This year has been very hot and humid so far. We've had day's of high 90's which is stifling with the humidity.
Bonnett Creek would be an excellent RCI choice.

We were last there in August during Katrina. Stifling heat and torrential rains. The only upside is thinner crowds and almost no need to FastPass.

DavidnJudy

Reaction score
I would take Vistana if I were you. Disney has upped the points needed to 32. So your 29 won't cut it. And a summer Disney 2 bedroom will be hard to find.

If you can get a summer 2 bedroom Vistana I would take it. NOT Vistana Villages but Sheraton Vistana Resort. Make sure it is an 8 (6), you will get a nice section.

Vistana is very close to WDW. You make a right out of Vistana, then a right onto World Center drive and you are on Disney property. Epcot is 8 minutes, DHS 11 minutes, AK 15 minutes and MK about 16 minutes.

Orange Lake is nice too but not as convienent to the parks. MK is 19 minutes, EP 20 minutes, DHS 17 minutes and AK is 12 (which is the only one that is closer).

My vote would be Vistana for you.

Summer Bay is very nice as well but even farther.

As far as weather, we have been in Agust several times sometimes it is brutal and sometimes it is just hot, but we had fun everytime anyway. We now go on Spring break - the weather is much better then :)

Last edited:

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we aer still looking, as we are waiting for our home resort to clear our second request for Depoist into RCI. Seems they denied our fist request, as they got us mixed up with another owner that has the same name, however he has NOT been paying Maintenance Fees... Think we have all that corrected now.

We are looking at either Bonnet Creek, Vistana, or Orange Lake Resorts. If a 3 bedroom unit pops up I will snatch it up, if not we will wait and see how the inventory goes and if anything pops up that is a steal we will grab it, Since we are in no big rush.

The recent debate is do we Drive down the 15 hours (drive half way stay the night in a hotel, then drive the other half) to save money or do we fly down & rent a car ??

YeongWoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Blue Green
We drive it

My wife will not fly. 15 hours is a very long day but I done that before. What would work better is a planned stop in Hilton Head or Savannah. Just plan on a couple of extra days and squeeze in some sight seeing.

DavidnJudy

Reaction score
We have done both FLY and DRIVE. We used to always Drive - We then have the car. We stayed overnight once near the border of South Carolina in Georgia - almost out of S.C. This seemed to be a good place to stop. but you could do it all in one day.

You are South of DC - We are in Baltimore just north of DC. So the drive should be better for you. The DC part is the worst. It should only take you 13 hours. You could leave around 5 am. and make it there at 6 pm without a hotel. Or you could drive some on Friday and some on Saturday.

Personally we fly now and rent a car. Because we can usually get a good fare out of BWI. And now it is a 5 1/2 hour trip (including driving to airport, getting their early and driving to the hotel) instead of 14 hours.

You can use this calculator that was posted on another thread:

http://www.befrugal.com/tools/fly-or-drive-calculator/

You will certainly save money driving, but use much more time and not be as refreshed when you get there! And it is vacation you want to be refreshed but is that worth 500 or so dollars more to fly.

It also depends on how many there are of you in each car. The more in each car the less it is to drive versus fly.

By the way we usually FLY now. There are four of us and the cost to fly (including rental car) is about 1200, where as the cost to drive (including hotel) is about 650. Even though it is 550 more to fly, I just think it is money well spent when you consider your time and how refreshed you feel when you get there. But that is all subjective. And I could see myself driving again if need be. (like tickets skyrocketed)

Last edited:

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been doing my Travel Calculations :wall:

There will be 5 of us, 2 Adults & 3 Kids (Teen, Pre-Teen, & Under 10)

For us to drive down non-stop would cost us about $450 taking our car or $650 taking our Van. That includes Gas & Meals for us both ways. To Drive down and stay over 1 night each way (to break up the trip) would be about $700 Car, $900 Van Includes Gas, Meals, & Hotel both ways.

Now to fly down, rent a Car, & gas for the week would be about $1750 (Flight $250 x 5 = $1250 Complete Plus Car Rental $400 and $100 for Gas to be safe)

Guess it all comes down to how much is our Time & Sanity Worth ?!? Is it worth spending the extra $1k to fly down and get there in one day (even have 2 options of non-stop flights from here) or save the $$ and drive... Hoping everyone gets along in the back seat :rofl:

Also as in flying we have been looking at flights into Orlando [MCO]