• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC at Grand Floridian Resort

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow.....I wonder how many cabins were on her lest.

And darn why weren't we on that sailing. Gift cards in your FE?

I might just have to try a DCL cruise just to see if I get some goodies!

I'm off on a Princess Canada/NE cruise in 2 weeks, hopefully it won't turn into a Bermuda cruise due to Irene.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
And darn why weren't we on that sailing. Gift cards in your FE?

I might just have to try a DCL cruise just to see if I get some goodies!

I'm off on a Princess Canada/NE cruise in 2 weeks, hopefully it won't turn into a Bermuda cruise due to Irene.

Very nice......Hopefully Irene doesn't strip all the leaves off the trees.

Look at all those Bahama Cruises that have been repositioned because of the storm already. And after today, not sure how long before Nassau and Freeport will be closed.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very nice......Hopefully Irene doesn't strip all the leaves off the trees.

Look at all those Bahama Cruises that have been repositioned because of the storm already. And after today, not sure how long before Nassau and Freeport will be closed.

Fingers crossed for everyone in the path of the storm.

We've got a TUGGER down at HRA now who couldn't get out. See thread in Starwood section.

At this point, all you can do is hope for the best.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I'll be fair, too, and admit that a few of the FE's I saw in pictures were very creative and tastefully done, and most of the folks participating did not go overboard to the extent that a few did. It's actually a neat "Random Act of Kindness" thing when not taken to extremes.

But the lady who gave out bizarre things like deodorant samples and trial-size dental floss? Even her husband couldn't understand what she was doing before they left for the trip, and then they had a big argument about it on board and didn't speak for a day when he found out that she was also giving out $25 Cheesecake Factory and GameStop gift cards.

I had absolutely no idea! This is wicked amusing. Have been on a Disney cruise, didn't really care for it, therefore have never read a post on Dis's cruise forum. I have been missing out, for sure!!!

H

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Little to none. The pixie-dust addicted will continue to view the Grand as Man's Best Hotel. The "regular" affluent will continue to look askance at Disney (which doesn't rise to the level of Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.) but will consider a stay at this new Four Seasons, as well as the Waldorf in the Bonnet Creek development.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Little to none. The pixie-dust addicted will continue to view the Grand as Man's Best Hotel. The "regular" affluent will continue to look askance at Disney (which doesn't rise to the level of Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.) but will consider a stay at this new Four Seasons, as well as the Waldorf in the Bonnet Creek development.

I guess that you and I are the only ones that see it this way.

For the others here, I have stayed at the GF for a business conference and no way can it compare service-wise to a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria style hotels. And I'm considering both guest and business services.

The decor of the rooms was a bit over the top for most of the men in our group. Looked like Aunt Gertie's house.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess that you and I are the only ones that see it this way.

For the others here, I have stayed at the GF for a business conference and no way can it compare service-wise to a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria style hotels. And I'm considering both guest and business services.

The decor of the rooms was a bit over the top for most of the men in our group. Looked like Aunt Gertie's house.

I have never "gotten" the Grand Floridian. It is beautiful to look at from the monorail. I did not like our room there. I don't care for the lobby. I do like Citrico's. And I would probably enjoy staying in a DVC unit there. But for the regular rooms, Myeh. Aunt Gertie's house is the perfect description.

Last year, we went over to look at the Waldorf Astoria. Frankly, it didn't look too special either.

elaine

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
How special can a hotel room get? I would never pay $400 for a hotel room.

We are all spoiled on timeshares and our cheap net cost on our stays.

I would take the Hilton on I-Drive any day over a hotel of any category, outside of Disney property. Rick recently asked when we can stay at the Hilton again, since we used our 1-in-4 for both accounts. I told him another 15 months, then we can go. He said, "Yeah, I like Disney, but the units are not as comfortable to sit and watch TV." I get it.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not (just) the room. It's the level of service, attentiveness, etc.

For example, I once heard that one requirement for AAA five-diamond status is that you are welcomed by name whenever possible. (I have no idea if that is actually true, but whatever.) When getting out of a cab recently at the Westin St. Francis, the doorman said "Welcome to the St. Francis, Mr. Noble. Can I help you with the bags?" I was taken aback by this until I realized that he must have checked the name tag on my bags in the trunk as he unloaded them (and before I even managed to finish paying the cab fare.)

That's just a small example of the sort of thing that a genuine "top-shelf" property does that Disney doesn't even come close to doing. And the WSF isn't even a five-diamond place.

Disney is often lauded for "magical" service. In reality, Disney provides what I'd describe as "mostly good, but consistent" service. It's rarely poor, but it's rarely exceptional, and it does not approach what you'd see at one of these locations.

For obvious reasons, timeshares almost never provide that level either---training people and hiring sufficient staff to pull this off costs real money, and that's money that BOAs are often reluctant to commit to, and owners complain about spending.

That's not to say that Disney is bad (or timeshares are bad). But, they are not at that top level of service that many in the Disneyana community would like to believe.

Last edited:

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never "gotten" the Grand Floridian. It is beautiful to look at from the monorail. I did not like our room there. I don't care for the lobby. I do like Citrico's. And I would probably enjoy staying in a DVC unit there. But for the regular rooms, Myeh. Aunt Gertie's house is the perfect description.

Last year, we went over to look at the Waldorf Astoria. Frankly, it didn't look too special either.

elaine

I'm sure the interiors of the DVC GF are going to be some sort of variation on the Aunt Gert theme. :hysterical:

I haven't been over to the Waldorf yet, I'm staying at the BC in May and will be in need of a place for our "adult dinner".

tlwmkw

Reaction score
The decor at Grand Floridian is rather dated- but that is the way Disney rolls. They rarely change the decor (it took almost 40 years to do so at the Contempory!). That said it is a nice hotel but certainly not up to the standards of some of the top tier hotels that we've stayed at. For myself I don't really care for all the pampering and catering to your every whim that some of these hotels do but I know many people do like it. We stayed at a hotel this summer which was like that and it drove us a little crazy. Twice a day they refreshed towels, turn down service with a cd placed playing and the the lights dimmed every night, constant attention while out at the pool (and they would move the umbrella to keep the shade on us- wouldn't let us touch it!), etc. DH and I were feeling like lazy children after all the attention. You go to Disney for the parks so I don't think it'll matter.

tlwmkw

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of us are saying that we necessarily prefer that level of service. But, many in the Disneyana community think that the new Four Seasons (or the Waldorf over in the Bonnet Creek development) are competitors with the Grand, because the latter is Disney's flagship.

They are not competitors. They server almost entirely different markets.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
bnoble,

You are right- it will be a different crowd with different expectations. I wonder how well this hotel will do in that environment? The Dis fanatics will have a fit if they see these comments but it is really true about Disney hotels and timeshares, and even the parks- they build it and then leave it as is without ever updating or changing anything. That was my point- the contemporary took 40 years to get a make-over (and it was sorely needed).

tlwmkw

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
The decor at Grand Floridian is rather dated- but that is the way Disney rolls.

yep, they are not trying to create a modern luxury hotel...instead, a fanciful but updated take on a hotel room from the 1890s (with some hidden mickeys thrown in).

it works for some, not for others.

we had the same issue with the recent updates at OKW. many owners loved the previous "old key west" theming but some guests thought looked tacky as they didn't get what the designers were aiming for. so the updates got rid of some of the uniqueness and "accuracy" in the theming and replaced it with a more modern but generic beachish hotel theme.

some like the new look better but many miss the fantasy elements that pointed to key west of 100 years ago which were removed.

different strokes...

tlwmkw

Reaction score
chalee94,

I'm not talking about the room decor- that isn't as bad- I'm talking about the lobby with the 1980's/1990's teals and rose colors with the light woods. That isn't the theme, that was just the style when the place was built. If they had gone more with the antique theme of the period then it wouldn't be so dated but the colors would be victorian and much brighter and bolder. I would actually prefer it if they had been more historically accurate and it wouldn't look so dated now.

tlwmkw

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The contemporary is a special case, though, because the things that evoke the sense of "contemporary" change *very* fast.

Admittedly, 40 years is too long. But, 10 might be too.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Similar to the timeshares (where DVC is inferior in many ways to many off-site timeshares, yet they still command quite a premium), Disney doesn't have to fully compete. Their on-site "magic" will more than offset those areas where they fall short. And they know it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I always thought the Contemporary hotel matched the Horizons (old Epcot ride) ride theme very well. I could picture those people on the Horizons ride staying at the Contemporary on vacation.

Okay, so I am a Disney fanatic. But I can stay off-site and be almost as happy as on site. I think the GF is a bit garish. The lobby is nice, and we spent some time there.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I have only read the DVC boards at disboards. The DCL boards sound interesting, but my goodness I don't need another timesuck!

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
Idea(s) please

Hi, family of 8 going to Disney during presidents week 2012.
3 of us are partially handicapped. We would like to have a family dinner together (say at the Hoopdy Do Review). We will have scooters to help us get around.

Can we get transportation to and from (staying at the Grand Floridan) with ease? Also, from parking spot, or bus drop off point, getting into the restaurant ... is this doable?

Any other ideas?

Many thanks.:)

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bus system is pretty good at accommodating scooters, but if I recall correctly, at most two will fit on any one bus at any time, so there will be some inconveniences. I would strongly suggest you visit the disABILITIES board at www.disboards.com to get the best advice about how to get from point A to point B, and which locations might be more accessible than others. For example, if you had a dinner at any of the monorail resorts instead of Hoop de Doo, it would be simpler, because the monorail will be more convenient for you.

Here is the disABILITIES board:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I had to use a scooter during one trip after an unexpected ankle break (but not cancelling those disney palns). There are only two spots ona bus for scooters. I learned a lot from the disabilities boards. personally, I would stay somewhere where you would need more than one bus to get there. I think from the Grand Floridian you would have to go to MK then transfer to Fort Wilderness then get to hoop de doo. A big commitment.

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
thanks ... now to follow up...

I guess I'm expecting too much. Re: Noble and Chunky gal....thanks for responding. How about the suggetion to get a restaurant near (?) the mono rail. Looking for a recommendation. Any help would be appreciated. Also, did you take your scooter into the park each day? How did you keep up with your family.? Is it more of a pain to try this or plan on staying in the hotel and reading a good book? TIA

Last edited:

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Love this DCL FE info! I am going to have to go over there and read more about it. My son recently made his Make A Wish and it was for a Disney cruise in the summer. It isn't booked yet but got a call recently that they found a date in July from Disney, so we are getting excited as the date will also fall over his birthday! This will be our first Disney cruise and first ever cruise for the kids.
We just got Boo'ed tonight and since I just printed out new Boo's for the next two houses and have been thinking up ideas to put into the goody baskets for them, this FE on the DCL sounds like the same kind of fun! How unique. I want to go on that cruise prepared as like all little ones my kids LOVE to assemble and give out surprises. That will make it all the more special for them to sneak little treats as random acts of kindness to others on their vacation.
I don't find anything at all weird about it ( except yes deodorant is an odd choice)! I am thinking more along the lines of a Disney pin and some candy. I can bulk buy a lot of Disney pins on e-bay without breaking the bank and that should be plenty small to pack and fit into a small door hanger.
I love TUG! I find out the most random things here!