• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Motion Sickness

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Bonine & accupressure bands work very well for me, and I have a big problem with it.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ginger pills and peppermints are good in addition to what Denise suggested.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to what Denise said, I also make sure to have a little something in my stomach at all times. I feel more nauseated with an empty stomach.

I also found I could stifle a small amount of motion sickness (cruise ship) by simply telling myself I was okay and not giving in to the feeling. I don't think that would work if I were seriously sick, though.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Any additional suggestions for kids with motion sickness (other than bring a bucket)? I'm looking at a 10 hour car ride this weekend and several 2 hr boat rides.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any additional suggestions for kids with motion sickness (other than bring a bucket)? I'm looking at a 10 hour car ride this weekend and several 2 hr boat rides.
Do as much driving as you can while they nap. Make sure they can look forward rather than sideways out the window. IOW, let them have the front seat when they are not napping. No reading.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
This post is really for my 12 year old grandson. He gets really sea sick! I think by now it is part mental, but looking for some additional recommendations that we and his parent could try. He won't even do the rides at Disney and other theme parks because he says that they make him sick. We have had him on a couple of boat rides and if the water is the least bit rough, he thinks he is sick. We have tried several things, but looking for more ideas. Kept them coming!

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Definately Children's Chewable Bonine! I have an 18 years old that has gotten sick all her life. I have never been on a cruise for fear of myself and my 18 year old getting sick but I understand the cruise ship doctor can give you something. That is what everyone tells me when they try to talk me into a cruise.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
get a prescription for scopamine patch from your doctor.
I get seasick looking in an aquarium tank.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
ginger pills

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am blessed by not being affected by motion sickness. Yet. As those who are will tell you, it's just a matter of time. I understand that bonine tabs or Dramamine (available free at the purser's desk on cruise ships) are effective. I see many folks with the Scopalomine patches stuck behind their ears. Someone near and dear to me tried those and said they made her goofy. Ginger candies will ease a 'tentative' stomach.

Here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1807648 is a discussion of the difference between bonine and Dramamimine from Disney boards

I have often wondered how much motion sickness is real, and how much is psychosomatic. Either way, sick is sick. Treat it and enjoy travel. Motion is part of it.

Hope the affected find some relief.

Jim

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ginger Ale helps with mild queasiness - but there can't be much if any ginger in it :shrug:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Accupressure bands work well for me. You can find them in adult and child sizes in the pharmacy near the other motion sickness products. I used to use Bonine, but with the bands, I haven't needed anything else.

We went on a sunset cruise in Hawaii and I got sick (no bands) and they gave me ginger candy, which actually stopped the nausea for me. Candied ginger may also work.

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had motion sickness since childhood. It has become worse as I've gotten older. Bonine works best for me. I take a pill the night before and an hour before I fly then one every morning and night while I'm on a beach or disney type vacation. I also take an additional pill if I go on a boat or snorkal. However, sometimes I still get seasick. If I do get sick it's not as bad as it is without the pills.

I have been on a couple of cruises (not a cruise lover). I used the patch once and got very sick after the cruise. I was sick for a few days. On the following cruise I just used bonine twice a day and did not get sick at all. The patch gives you blurry vision, makes you thirsty and has other side affects. :(

Bee

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bonine is my very dear friend. I have suffered from motion sickness since childhood. Then I usually took Gravol, marketed as Dramamine in the US, but it made me extremely drowsy. It had the complete opposite effect on one of my sons.

Bonine in small doses for three days before a boat trip works wonders for me.

I've yet to be on a cruise, but I suspect I won't be able to sustain open waters without the drugs. Unfortunately, alcohol negates the effects of the bonine. So what is the purpose of the cruise? ;)

pkyorkbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both of my children get car sick since being very young. We gave them Dramamine. Never did I have an issue until about seven years ago while in an airplane. Now I know how my children felt. To help me now on flights I nibble on salted pretzels and ask for the entire can of Ginger Ale. The Dramamine did NOT work for me. The bands sound good I am going to look for them as well as the ginger candy.

Great Post-Thanks

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember once feeling VERY carsick and taking a lot of liquid Pepto Bismol then losing everything out the window of a moving blue car.....nuff said :eek:

Mods, if this is too gross, feel free to delete :)