• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone else prefer rooms on lower floors?

Do you prefer to stay on a higher or lower floor on vacation?

• Higher floor.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Lower floor.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Who cares as long as I'm having fun?

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see alot of folks wanting the high level rooms for a better view. I am curious if I am in the minority requesting floors one or two?

We tried a 7th floor room at MOW last year, and I didn't enjoy hanging out on the balcony at all. Extremely windy, having to stop on almost every floor while riding elevator.

Is it me, or do others actually prefer the rooms on the lower floors?

Happy Easter everyone!

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
acrophobia
physical security - evacuation
occasionally ground level offers something good
occasionally view is not improved by height

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Top floor for me. The floor thumping from above drive me crazy! :)

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
As I get older, I'm becoming more and more like my mom . . . who preferred lower floors. For me/us it's become about ease of loading/unloading with luggage and after grocery shopping, etc.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For ease of access & the ability to utilize any sliding door to the property we would prefer lower level. But somehow every trip the famous "Willie's Dancing Pachyderms" troupe apparently gets the unit above us and the five lead elephants practice their tap dancing show from 6am til after midnight every day. Strange we never see them going in or out (and they must be very large) yet they are there nearly every time. Since our schedules apparently coincide we opt for upper floors whenever possible - even at the risk of no elevators. I wish I could see the dance just once as it sounds very interesting.

dwojo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because of mobility issues due to work related injuries I prefer lower floors because many resorts do not have elevators.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Top floor for me. The floor thumping from above drive me crazy! :)

I'm with you on this one. I also hate those who take their shoes off and drop them on the floor when getting ready for bed.

Our last stay at Marriott's Desert Villas was fine except for the heard of elephants who were staying above us. I swear there was someone running from one end of that unit to the other from 8 AM until 10 PM. Rarely a quite moment for relaxation in the room as there was a constant thump, thump, thump from the guests staying in the unit directly above us.

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
Hey, another opinion....

We recently stayed with friends at their t/s. Beautiful place and we were on the 4th floor. The noise started above us and our friend picked up the phone and called security. It took awhile but all the noise ceased. We were delighted.

Also, when we are alone at a t/s i always ask for a low floor. Physical limitations make this necessary, if there ever was a fire...............

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always try to get the top floor if possible because of the above mentioned dance troupe of elephants always managing to get the room above us when we are on a lower floor. I would just once love to see what is actually going on to produce the sounds emitted. Maybe it's a weight lifting team practicing dropping their weights on the floor! Often it is the sound of chairs being dragged across the ceramic tile continuously every 15 seconds.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently stayed with friends at their t/s. Beautiful place and we were on the 4th floor. The noise started above us and our friend picked up the phone and called security. It took awhile but all the noise ceased. We were delighted.

this does lead to the next question, i've got to admit with my dozen or so TS stays, we've had security called to our room twice for 'noise', once when everyone was already in bed...Now i prefer lower floors so security doesn't get called on me Every trip

How many of you Have called Security on a noisy neighbor?

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
this does lead to the next question, i've got to admit with my dozen or so TS stays, we've had security called to our room twice for 'noise', once when everyone was already in bed

Ride -
Might want to post this question as a NEW thread.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
this does lead to the next question, i've got to admit with my dozen or so TS stays, we've had security called to our room twice for 'noise', once when everyone was already in bed

I recently called security on a 'runner' who was going almost morning to night. They came to my room to listen and wouldn't you know it the 'runner' stopped just before they arrived....like the fly when you get the fly swatter. LOL!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had security pounding on my door 4 hours after I went to bed. The neighbors below me had called to complain of the noise. Wyndham Skyline Towers management gave me 2 bottles of wine to take home - offered me a choice of which one and I stated both please, as security was too dumb to hear that NO PARTY was happening in my room and kept banging til I woke up. I always sleep with the bedroom door shut.

Thankfully, I had gotten the elephants down the freight elevator just 5 minutes before.

Last edited:

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had security pounding on my door 4 hours after I went to bed. The neighbors below me had called to complain of the noise. Wyndham Skyline Towers management gave me 2 bottles of wine to take home - offered me a choice of which one and I stated both please, as security was too dumb to hear that NO PARTY was happening in my room and kept banging til I woke up. I always sleep with the bedroom door shut.

Thankfully, I had gotten the elephants down the freight elevator just 5 minutes before.

You must be an elephant trainer extraordinaire!!!! :)
But did the elephants share the wine???

icul8rg8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
When our children were babies, we prefered the lower floors (especially if no elevator).

Now that they are older, we prefer the view and security of higher floors (but we often get complaints - they're little, but kids are kids and have lots of energy and love to jump and run and play hide-and-seek - which seems to bother the folks below us who must think they're as big as elephants! But they're in bed by 8 or 9pm).

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
When our children were babies, we prefered the lower floors (especially if no elevator).

Now that they are older, we prefer the view and security of higher floors (but we often get complaints - they're little, but kids are kids and have lots of energy and love to jump and run and play hide-and-seek - which seems to bother the folks below us who must think they're as big as elephants! But they're in bed by 8 or 9pm).

Trust me, when they run and jump and play, they sound large enough that you expect them to be coming through the floor any minute.

As for calling security, we've only done that once. That one time it sounded as if the kids were repeatedly jumping off the furniture and it went on for a couple of hours before we called. It was as if a cannon were going off every couple of minutes. Most other times we've just put up with it since we know that kids will be kids.

If we hear noise from people just walking across the floor, we don't bother with security either. I'm pretty certain it's not rational to request the people on higher floors not walk in their unit during their stay. I chalk it up to cheap construction and we tend not to return to those timeshares if there's anything equal or better in the area (Branson MO has a lot of poorly insulated wood fram construction timeshares like this).

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think elephants must uniformly enjoy higher floors for the view...
The freight elevators don't go to the lower floors - only the upper ones, so it's much easier for the elephants to get to them.
Also, most elephants I know prefer dancing at the earliest possible times of the day..they seem to get up about 4 in the morning. They must take naps in the afternoon, because they then love to play late at night...;)

Personally, my elephants tend to be the later ones - they've been trained to tiptoe in the morning...we like to sleep in a little some days.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Noise notwithstanding- in an earlier incarnation, I was burned out of a hotel once. Ground floors for me, please.

All you need is to be awakened by fire alarms at 3 a.m. and have to gather what you can and traipse down a fire escape and hang out in the parking lot for a couple of hours for those upper floor views to lose their sparkle.

Jim

Steve

Reaction score
If I am in a 2 story resort, then I prefer to stay on the top floor. If, however, I am in a midrise or highrise resort, then I prefer a lower floor...usually the 2nd or 3rd. If staying right at the beach, then the 1st floor is great if it allows one to walk right out to the sand.

Overall, I definitely prefer low floors over high floors. It makes it really nice at timeshares because low floors are usually easy to get.

Steve

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
No Walk-Ups, Please.

Is it me, or do others actually prefer the rooms on the lower floors?
Any floor is OK in condo buildings that have elevators.

In walk-ups, The Chief Of Staff has an ironclad preference for ground-level units.

And around here if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Chicago office is on the 50th floor. When I'm on vacation I definitely dont mind ground floors :)

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have excellent hearing ... and excellent focus also. Someone above me starts making noise I pick up a book and start reading. I no longer hear the noise.

I prefer lower floors. All kinds of reasons ---- loading groceries being #1, Being able to walk outside without going down long halls.

There was an earlier thread here on how to survive a hotel fire. I think I will go read it again.

elaine

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I prefer lower floors, but DH and family prefer higher.

Depending on the parking situation, it can be so much more convenient to be lower (for example at Ocean Walk, 10 or below you can park on your floor).

Just stayed at Alexandria on ground floor. Very nice to be conveniently located to coffee (I never made any in the room). But terriible view (concrete ramp to train tracks) and noisy carts going by. So it had it's pros and cons.