• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cremation or Burial

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
Agree

I wonder about this, especially if survivors are still young children. Maybe if it is the only way they see death handled it won't matter. But how people deal with grief and loss remains, and has been studied by the social sciences. For all of us pondering how we handle our demise, we have to remember it is not just about us, but how the people we leave behind carry on. They won't soon forget us, despite our wishes that they party to celebrate our lives and then go on with life. Closure can take years. I certainly don't have the answers, and even cremation for us may not sit well with our kids. We must all remember though, not to be cavalier about death. It is real and painful for those left behind, and we should be helpful in our efforts to make it easier for them to cope. For some, it may be a place they can go, something tangible they can see, something they can touch. Memories are the most valuable, but other things can help ease the sorrow.

This is so true...I have dealt with my Mom's passing everyday for the past year...doesnt seem to get any easier. My Aunt said it best...you never get over the loss you just learn how to live without them.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how sometimes something we hear, or read, or do causes us to take a different path?
My DH & I, along with my mom, bought contracts with the Neptune Society back in the 80's. My mom passed away in 1995, and it all went so smoothly, and was all handled well.
In April of last year, my sweet husband passed away, and that, too was handled by the Neptune Society. Our only expense, both times, was the cost of the death certificates.
I planned to follow on the same path, but when I was reading this thread, I was struck with the beauty of donating one's body to a Medical School. Why had I never thought of that? Now that's what I want to do, and I've been lost in "Google-Land" for the last hour, trying to sort things out. There are so many websites, and I'm sure a lot of them charge fees to the schools for handling the process, and maybe that's OK, but one gov't website cautioned against that, because one might go out of business. Is that a problem? What could you lose, unless you didn't keep track? I guess I'll start making phone calls tomorrow morning.
Thanks to you all for your insights and different aspects on the death experience.
Jean :)

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
Could you give me details on the Neptune Society.

I've heard of the Hemlock Society. Break off a few small branches of a hemlock tree, place them in a small pan, add water, make "hemlock tea", drink it and that will be the end.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite ready to embrace "The Hemlock Plan" ;)

The Neptune Society (An easy look-up) is a prepaid cremation plan. When one dies, the Society is notified, and they make arrangements for pickup and delivery to a funeral home, and they handle everything. The only thing I had to pay for (in 2012) was the cost of the death certificates (Which they ordered), and less than $20 in fees for disposition.

Could you give me details on the Neptune Society.

I've heard of the Hemlock Society. Break off a few small branches of a hemlock tree, place them in a small pan, add water, make "hemlock tea", drink it and that will be the end.