• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling Wyndham Grand Desert points

rmiller1985

Reaction score
I'm looking to get rid of my parents' timeshare, 182,000 points at the Wyndham Grand Desert in Las Vegas. Here's the situation:

My mom got taken in by Fairfield back in the early 2000s. When she told me she'd bought a timeshare, my first reaction was to ask her if she had a few days to get out of the deal, but she sounded so hopeful that she'd be able to get my dad to travel once in a while that I tried to be supportive. I so wish I'd listened to my gut, but... water under the bridge.

The original contract was for 154,000 points (UDI). Some time later (a year? several years?) they suckered her into another $5k or so for an additional 28,000 points (also UDI). So the total is 182,000. Maintenance fees are currently just shy of $1k/yr.

The timeshare has been used over the years, and my mom was always happy whenever my sister or I would be able to use it. But it's always such a hassle trying to find specific weeks with availability at resorts where we want to go, especially when neither of us is interested in making vacation plans 10 months in advance. We also feel like the cost of accommodations where we want to go, when we want to go, is generally going to cost less than (or not much more than) the maintenance fees, and there would be far more flexibility.

My mom died last October. And my dad has Alzheimer's, and is in no condition to travel (not that he ever wanted to anyway); I'm sure that he also has no idea what a timeshare is, or that he owns one. I have Power of Attorney for my dad.

Neither my sister nor I is interested in keeping the timeshare. Reading here, I just found out about the Wyndham Ovation program, and this seems like a hassle-free (hopefully) way to dispose of it.

But I also looked briefly at the TUG Timeshare Marketplace and found a couple of listings for points at the Grand Desert, and I found a listing on eBay as well (that wasn't $1). So although the timeshare isn't worth anything to us because we don't want to use it, we'd be happy to sell it and put the proceeds in the trust account that we're managing for my dad, to pay for his current and future care.

My question: how do I find out what this timeshare is worth on the secondary market? The fact that someone lists something for sale at $1,000 doesn't mean that it's worth that; they may get an offer of $100 and take it, and I'd never know that by looking at the ad. Is there any reliable way to know what the points are worth?

My sister and I and our spouses are perfectly happy with the concept of a "convenience fee": if we're only going to be able to get $100 for this thing, and in the process have to go through the hassle of listing it, and dealing with closing, etc., we'd much rather just go through Ovation (hopefully), sign the paperwork, and go on our way. But I don't want to be leaving thousands of dollars on the table that can go towards my dad's care, and I'd be willing to deal with hassles for that kind of money.

So... any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Rich

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there 2 contracts under the Member ID or just 1 contract?

The reason I ask, the small contract would require a second $299 transfer fee. And if so, most people would just walk away from buying that small contract.

Ovations would be a clean and simple .. and inexpensive means .. to divest from the ownership for your father.

Reaction score
I have been looking for a small wyndham point package but now with Ovation program its hard to get one at a bargain price, even with the $299 closing fee if MF fee is low it can just be what you need to bump up the total points one has to allow travel to most/aLL destinations for a week (LOL) I am sure that's why your mom got talked into the extra points in the first place, but to expensive to but from the developer.

ekajun1957

Reaction score
Don't want to be morbid but also if you care to wait and nothing else happens before then you do not have to accept inheritance (in most states) of anything when your father dies. There is a way to decline inheritance. BUT in many places to do this there must be no outstanding debt. Something you might consider.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I have been looking for a small wyndham point package but now with Ovation program its hard to get one at a bargain price, even with the $299 closing fee...

There's a bunch on eBay that go for next to nothing.

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
I recently sold my 128000 Grand Desert contract here on TUG for about $1100. Buyer paid for transfer and I paid for closing. It seems that Grand Desert points do have some value. Good luck.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently sold my 128000 Grand Desert contract here on TUG for about $1100. Buyer paid for transfer and I paid for closing. It seems that Grand Desert points do have some value. Good luck.

I agree that there is value above net zero in selling it. If it can wait till june, the value should be a bit higher.