• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate vacation sampler ??

kayla0912

Reaction score
Can someone please help me? I am new to all of this. Last year my husband and I decided to do the vacation sampler week with westgate in Myrtle beach, SC. We had and still have no intentions of buying the timeshare. We just thought hey we can do sort of a lay away vacation and the overall cost was cheaper than what we had spent that year on a terribly run down resort. So far we have nearly half of the vacation paid for and we decided to go ahead and pay off the remaining amount so we can go ahead and get that out of the way. The problem is that I have looked over the vacation occupancy contract that we signed and I can not find a contract or account number anywhere. Nor can I find any number to call for help. I searched online for numbers and every number I have tried is of no help. I am going to try to call the vacation traveler number tomorrow and hopefully i can get some help. For those of you who have experience with doing the vacation sampler, where did you find your contract number? I was told that after the down payment we would recieve an email and a package in the mail to start an online account with westgate. I recieved two emails wanting me to purchase more from westgate and a card from leisuretime passport came in the mail. But nothing with information on accounts or anything of the sort. Can someone please give me some advice? Who should I call to get this straightened out? I am starting to get the feeling that I am paying for a vacation that I wont be able to take.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't appear that what you've bought is a timeshare contract, but a o ne-time discounted vacation at a Westgate resort. Generally these are sold with the proviso that the buyer attend a timeshare presentation. A word of caution here. These presentations are high pressure sales operations where trained sellers make ever harder cases to sell high prices vacation ownerships that have little to no value. They are virtually unsaleable, and any use is stripped away to the next owner should you decide to sell it.

I know nothing about where any contact you signed with these thieves (they hide sales contracts in a hidden pocket in a folder with the promise that additional materials will arrive by mail- after any possible rescission (cooling off) period has passed. Whether this has happened in your case is impossible to tell.

Whatever you've paid as a down payment, frankly, you should abandon, and not throw more good money after. Whatever they have offered you, it is not worth your time and trouble.

Best Wishes and welcome to TUG.

Jim

kayla0912

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I knew it wasnt the actual timeshare that I was purchasing only the sampler vacation. My husband and I were never interested in the timeshare anyway. And lets face it, we were there for the same reason as anyone else: the free gift(s). The salesperson that we dealt with was very nice and answered any questions that we had. He even went as far as to explain to us that even though we would be asked to buy during our sampler week that if we really wanted to take advantage of it then we could say that we weren't completely persuaded and we could get another sampler week. If I can get my problem straightened out, I will let everyone know if there is any truth to this. As far as the pressure to buy the timeshare goes, that will not be any problem. You simply cant buy something that you just cannot afford. Of course I know how tough their persuasion will be but I am prepared to deal with that as long as my family can have an otherwise, good vacation. The only deciding factor of our choice to purchase the sampler week was the price. Last year my husband and I paid 1400 dollars for a supposed resort in Myrtle beach SC for a 5 night stay. The place was in such bad shape and run down that I am not even sure if I would give 500 dollars to stay there again whilst Westgates sampler week price for 7 days (including thedown payment) was a little over 900 dollars. Im sorry for posting this here since I know this is about the timeshares but I had ran out of options. Who knows maybe someone can learn from my experience and not make the same mistake as I did which is to get sucked into westgate with a seemingly good deal. In the meantime I am going to keep trying to get in touch with whomever I need to get this straightened out. Thanks for your help and I will keep you updated :)

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
this is a sampler deal for sure it sounds like.

Best bet.. just forget this deal it will only lead to more headache.. there are lots more like you, just trying to get something for free and after talking to the nice saleman/lady come out with a full blown timeshare contract putting you on the hook for 500 or more dollars a month for years and NO WAY OUT..

forget this pile of crap you got and just thank your lucky stars it not worse.

welcome to tug.. now read and learn how luck you are. remember you are in control of this for now.. but do something stupid and you will never be in control of this for ever. :bawl:

PS anything the sales person told you is not true for the most part.. always remember that.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I know it hurts to walk away from what you thought was the down payment on a vacation, but it is for the best.

Westgate's reputation is so abysmal at so many levels. Search this forum using the search word "Wastegate" if you want dozens of examples of why that has become their nickname.

aliciaj456

Reaction score
Just bought this vacation sampler yestersday. Did you ever get it all worked out? Reviews?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMnsHO, no one should ever have anything whatsoever to do with Westgate for any reason. These slimy, deceitful weasels simply can never be trusted, IMnsHO. Period, amen.

They are the worst of the worst in the timeshare industry (...in the U.S., although they do have some competition in Mexico for the dubious distinction of "slimiest").

The "vacation sampler" will only subject you to a high pressure sales pitch full of assorted lies and misrepresentations, aggressively and relentlessly delivered.
You will be legally obligated to attend that "presentation" as a specific contractual performance requirement within your "sampler" package; no escaping it.
You will be pre-identified as "fresh meat" by the hungry lions seeking new prey (and a big commission). Is that your idea of "vacation"? I doubt it...

Don't do it! Don't get suckered in! Run away and try to forget that you ever even heard the word Westgate. Fail to do so at your peril. Forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just bought this vacation sampler yestersday. Did you ever get it all worked out? Reviews?

I think the OP simply considered it spent money and moved on. You can click on their blue username and send an email.

As you've no doubt read here, Wastegate has a horrible reputation here. If you go on the 'sampler' vacation you bought, expect a high pressure sales session heavily laced with lies and harassment. Far better, if you want to experience a nice timeshare condo vacation would be to rent one in the Last Minute Rental section, or in the TUG Marketplace in the red stripe above here. Stay FAR away from Westgate.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim