• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room Requests at HHV

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, checking in to Lagoon in a little less than two weeks using our home week (one bedroom ocean view) and two extra open season reservation time and made a request to a girl at the front desk today for Diamond Head side as high a room as possible. I mentioned that I sure hoped she could make sure we will not have palm trees obstructing our views. Reservation desk girl said she would do her best to meet our request. I also mentioned I would be happy to check out of the open season reservation and into a different room for the home week if a better room came up. We will see what happens with my experiment. An email came to us confirming our reservation asking us to let HHV know any requests we may have so that prompted me. I'll let you know what happens when I get back since I like to remain computer free when I am on vacation :cheer: . I look forward to seeing the new refurbished Lagoon and :confused: checking in through the Grand Waikikian and :confused: new path out of the hotel to the beach, where our family honestly spends 33% of our time when the weather is sunny :) .

jestme

Reaction score
Just a heads up, changing rooms sometimes means packing up all your stuff, being out by 10:00AM, and giving your suitcases to the bellman to take care of until 3-4PM when you can check back in again. Sometimes, you get the other room right away, but not always. I wouldn't say anything at check in. If you are happy with your first room when you get it, go down and ask them to NOT move you for the second reservation, if they can. If you are not happy, get them to move you as soon as they can. Watching the "Open Season" availability will give you an idea if there are other rooms available to be switched to in your room size.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Have a wonderful time Hockeybrain !!

I could be wrong but I think the palm tree issue only impacts the oceanfront units since the lower floors are classified as oceanfront unlike the other sides of the building where the lower floors are all classified as garden view (not ocean view).

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, returned yesterday leaving out at 8:55 pm and touching down at 10:30 am. Direct flight back was actually early! Only 8 1/2 hour flight time back. All our Continental flights were good though our flight from Houston to Honolulu was 1/2 hour late, which was not bad considering the storms on the West Coast at the time of the flight.

Anyway, my room request was not listened to or if listened to discarded. Never the less, when I did make my reservation the girl (grace) took my open season and home week reservation into account and gave us a room we were happy with during the entire length of our stay, L-1661 (C room on Diamondhead side)- since wife and I agreed that moving out and back in would be a hassle. At first I was a bit scared of the 1661 location because this room opened directly off the elevator but time proved to us that it was very quiet from the inside. When a few families with a large number of children were together and waiting for an elevator you could hear noise from the kitchen / living room but this only happened once. At night when the Luo was going on windows had to be shut or the Luo noise could be irritating. It ended by 8:30 or so each night and when we were in daughter enjoyed watching them periodically with my wife perform from our balcony. Tapa bar noise did not bother us though it could be occassionally heard with the windows / lanai door open (lanai door was pretty much always open during our stay). Our previous room at HHV four years ago was an E room on a lower floor which my wife claims was nicer, but it was close enough to the same for me. Views were super from our room though there were 17-23 and penthouse that I am sure were way better. We had no rain during the day every day during our stay but for the last day where it rained until 10 am and ten stopped. Weather was 80-83 every day so we were thrilled. Beach was no overly crowded. Towels were plentiful. It was over all a great stay.

The only huge room negatives as far as we were concerned was the fold-out sofa was old, worn and uncomfortable for adults and I would assume any child who knows better (over 10?) and the bathroom has no ventilation. Counters were granite throughout, kitchen and bathroom worked well. Upkeep of the room was fine. Housekeeping was fantastic. All the coffee or towels, toilet paper etc. we wanted were brought immediately to us. Our stay was great. Elevators were fine for us though they did move slower around 2:30 and about 8 am. Only time I really had to wait for an elevator was upon check-in the first day (Saturday about 3). We even saw the fireworks beautifully from our balcony (wind worked out for us).

The lagoon is beautiful now. The lobby connecting the Waikikian and Lagoon tower were beautifully and efficiently remodeled. I was amazed how you so easily could check in at the Grand Waikikian and go down the slope with luggage or walk down to the Lagoon.

Waikikian is a hassle to get to rooms compared with Lagoon for people who stay there. Showering and putting things in the Grand Waikikian the last day was a hassle, but the Hilton people did put a smiling face in front of us every interaction we had with them.

Now for my huge negative compared to how it was four years ago. Rainbow buffet is now only breakfast. We loved the different day theme dinners. Over all restaurants within the Hilton Village have gone way down in quality. I would not recommend eating anywhere at any time in the Village based on our dining experiences. We liked Dino (outsdie the village) for Hawaiian pizza on Tuesday but when we went back for the same thing Wednesday night it was down in quality - I guess due to chef change. So, perhaps a lot of the restaurants in that area are hit or miss. Still, the food at the Luo was barely eatable. The Tropics bar and grill was acceptable but very over priced. The Japanese noodle place for lunch one day was over priced and ok at best. Benihanna food was worse. Singha portions for Thai food out of the village were way to small. We like to eat all dinners out but next year will travel further from the village or cook more inside the room. Pineapples and papayas were outstanding. Groceries are expensive in Hawaii but food ingredients were fine even just using the Pantry Pride in easy walking distance of the Village (ABC stores too pricey with no real selection). Also, prices for renting a surf board, beach equipment or lessons in the Village are outrageous. For those who want they are waay cheaper just outside.

I was fortunate enough to meet "Jestme" a the village when I was there. He is super in person with a lovely wife as well. One of his sons was there who is a credit to his parents as well. Great meeting a super fellow Tug family!

The bellhop staff was super. They gave everybody nut lei's and flower lei's who wanted them. Bags were held efficiently. Tip was not expected so it was given. Any more thoughts and I'll put them in when I get a chance. :cheer:

Last edited:

jd5504

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham - PR Midtown 45
HGVC - Hilton Club, Kingsland, Valdoro, Liberty Place, Shell Island Beach Club, Tortuga Beach Club
When staying at Lagoon Towers do you recommend renting a car for a week (with parking costs) or renting a car as needed.
Thanks

jestme

Reaction score
When staying at Lagoon Towers do you recommend renting a car for a week (with parking costs) or renting a car as needed.
Thanks
We always rent as needed. We tend to walk a fair bit, as we rarely eat in the HHV. Our main use of the car is to go to the North Shore, the rest of the trip, we stick around Waikiki, go to the wide variety of restaurants, sit on the beach, by the pool, or go shopping. There are a few rental car places nearby, Dollar, Enterprise, etc. We shop online and take the best deal for a car for the day. We rarely keep it overnight, but the places close around 8:00PM to return it.

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed four days last week (open season) at the Lagoon Tower. Rm 766 Oceanfront and then moved to 2165 Oceanview. Rm 766 was noisy from the new pool. Rm 2165 had a great view of Diamond Head and the Ocean but you could hear the Luau. Not too bad; it was over by the time we returned from dinner.
Sergio’s in the HHV has great Osso Buco. Good service and was reasonably priced. We had lunch and drinks at the Tropics. Like one poster said it is a little pricey. We had dinner and breakfast at the Ocean’s which is right next to the Shore Bird. Our prime rib expert said it was one of the best prime ribs he’s ever had.
As an owner in the Lagoon Tower I was a little disappointed over the security in the pool. While there are security people in the pool area it’s easy for anyone to reach over the locked gate and open it from the inside. They issued you a pool wrist band but they were never checked. They never checked out towels to any specific room # so anyone could take a towel(s) even if they weren’t staying in the tower. Plus the pool is very crowded. The other Hilton pools were almost empty.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jestme is right on concerning car rental. Keep in mind that Enterprise is right outside the village so easy to talk with concerning day rental. We did not go too far this trip and did not rent a car. Car service to and from the airport ran us $30 or so each way (65 for us because I gave the guy too big a tip). Probably can easily be done for $25 each way if you hunt around.

Paradise pool is crowded full of kids. I tried my best to avoid it but our 4 year old and it seems all the rest of the <10 year old kids love it. Finding a lounge chair is tough but we always managed to get at least one open one. Yes, security is present but not too demanding. Most people I saw at the pool were repeat customers so I assume they stayed with Hilton.

Pizzeria place above was written incorrectly (typo / tired writter) as Dino - it is DIVINO.

Over all HHV is still a great place to have a nice vacation in Oahu.

jd5504

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham - PR Midtown 45
HGVC - Hilton Club, Kingsland, Valdoro, Liberty Place, Shell Island Beach Club, Tortuga Beach Club
Thanks jestme and hockeybrain