• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare presentation--Orlando

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH has committed us to a timeshare presentation in Orlando for Hilton. We have no intention of purchasing. I came to this board to educate myself before the sales pitch. However, reading all of the tips is more than daunting.

DH is a platinum HH member--which is why he got the call, I think, for the presentation. He was busy and it wasn't until the end of the call that he was told it was a timeshare presentation. He told them he wouldn't be going to that and didn't care about the $100 certificate.

I need to re-read the documents that came yesterday but it seems that if you don't go to the presentation, you have to pay the difference between the rack rate and the purchase price of the 3 night stay at the Hilton property.

I understand this is a points system--and that is confusing in and of itself. I am assuming you pay MFs. What do those typically run? Do they vary from resort to resort or are the same since it is all based on points?

As I mentioned, DH is a platinum HH member and we have usually had enough points to stay where we wanted on our vacations without owning a timeshare from them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
They only offered us $75 at the concierge desk at check-in, and we turned them down. We were told they had some coupons for area restaurants and felt fooled, because she had nothing like that. We told the concierge we didn't want any more calls about the sales tour. We didn't get a single one.

I have never been to a Hilton presentation, but I know someone who will answer any questions I have, and that would be my only reason for going. After attending the last sales tour, which was Marriott Orlando, we will never go on one again. I just cannot stomach the lies and the pushy nature of the salespeople.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If you signed up for one of those discounted promotional stays, you do indeed need to attend the sales presentation or you will be charged extra. But if you have no intention to buy, it really shouldn't be hard to say "no" to the salesperson.

With HGVC, there is very little reason not to buy resale as they treat resale owners the same as retail owners. The only difference is that resales are not eligible purchases towards obtaining "elite" status.

So go ahead and listen to the pitch -- if you are interested in what you hear there, then you can come back here and learn more about the system. That is how I would do it if I were in your place.

Enjoy your getaway!

Kurt

jestme

Reaction score
DH has committed us to a timeshare presentation in Orlando for Hilton. We have no intention of purchasing. I came to this board to educate myself before the sales pitch. However, reading all of the tips is more than daunting.

DH is a platinum HH member--which is why he got the call, I think, for the presentation. He was busy and it wasn't until the end of the call that he was told it was a timeshare presentation. He told them he wouldn't be going to that and didn't care about the $100 certificate.

I need to re-read the documents that came yesterday but it seems that if you don't go to the presentation, you have to pay the difference between the rack rate and the purchase price of the 3 night stay at the Hilton property.

I understand this is a points system--and that is confusing in and of itself. I am assuming you pay MFs. What do those typically run? Do they vary from resort to resort or are the same since it is all based on points?

As I mentioned, DH is a platinum HH member and we have usually had enough points to stay where we wanted on our vacations without owning a timeshare from them.

If you don't need the timeshare, then try to cancel it. If you cannot, then all you need to remember is "no". Questions like how much the MF's are are good questions, but if you remember the first rule, it won't matter.
For what it's worth, MF's are base on the unit size in the location. It doesn't matter how many points, it is based on unit size, so a 2BR platinum (high season) pays the same as a 2BR in low season. As far as how much they are, it does depend on the resort (location) and the room size.

galarson1

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC vs Marriott

I am new to the forum and am looking for some basic information from anyone who has knowledge about HGVC and Marriott's club. I am a Diamond Honors member so I know Hilton hotels but am just looking into HGVC. We went to a presentation in Orlando last week and I knew retail was not the way to go and then I found TUG- boy was I right!! But I am more impressed with Marriot properties (golf resorts and age basically- at least from what I see). But there seems to be a lot of turmoil in Marriott's vacation club at this time and HGVC seems to be more flexible and seems to treat resale owners the same except for elite. We are generally shorter trip people so the points/flexibility of HGVC might be an advantage. Is anyone familiar with both programs that would be willing to offer any advice to someone looking for a platinum week in a warm weather areas.
Thanks

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... We are generally shorter trip people so the points/flexibility of HGVC might be an advantage. Is anyone familiar with both programs that would be willing to offer any advice to someone looking for a platinum week in a warm weather areas.

I hope the HGVC sales-peeps weren't too rough with you. I've found these cretins to be the same the world-over. I can't help with Marriott's program, but I can tell you that, once you're owner, HGVC's customer service is top noch and owner-friendly.

In the HGVC-system, it makes no difference where you buy (points are points), unless you want to go to Hawaii frequently, where the 3-month head-start for "home week" reservations is an advantange. Most folks are content with the 9-month window for club-reservations and many never see their home-resort. So, buy whereever you get the best deal and least MF's.

Buying platinum is a good idea, 'cuz HGVC's MF's are based on the size of the unit, not the season. Thus, you get a greater alotment of points with a high-season unit, but pay the same MF as the same-size unit in a lower-season.

HGVC does have an extensive list of fees, but they keep the annual club-dues low ($99), saying that members prefer the ad hoc approach. They tried an all-inclusive option, but quickly dropped that.

Hope this helps, some.

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC does have an extensive list of fees, but they keep the annual club-dues low ($99), saying that members prefer the ad hoc approach. They tried an all-inclusive option, but quickly dropped that.

Hope this helps, some.
There are club fees in addition to MFs? What are club fees?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The Club Fee is your membership fee. No matter how many HGVC properties you own, you will only have to pay one Club Fee annually. With that fee, you also get access to Hilton's corporate RCI account, so you do not have to join RCI -- however, if you have other RCI properties, you cannot use the corporate account for those. I only own HGVC, so no additional RCI membership fees for me.

As for other fees, there are a few. Home Week reservations are free, but each Club Season reservation, irregardless of number of days, is $49 online. There are also fees for banking or rescuing points from one year to the next (~$70), but there is no fee to borrow points from a future year. That is why it is generally good to be "in debt" with your points -- less chance of you having to roll your points forward a year and incur the fee. There are no guest certificate fees.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

No worries!
As "Pigs" said, there's a single annual membership fee, often tacked onto one of your MF bills that's designed to cover unfettered access to the HGVC system, including the call-center, online account management, online reservation system, use of Hiltons' RCI exchange program, an automatic silver-tier HHonors membership, etc.

While you do not get a personal RCI membership, Hilton's arrangment with RCI gives you access to RCI weekly + nightly reservations without the necessity of depositing anything. Points are drawn from your HGVC account only after reservations are confirmed (or for an on-going search).

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I appreciate it.