• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Still confused

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have booked a cruise for Oct 28, 2012 out of Ft. Lauderdale. I want to fly into Orlando on 24th and spend 4 nights at a resort. I can't book HGVC because it's too far out to book.

I have 5000 points for 2011 that I need to send into 2012 ($69 online fee to move them into 2012).

Can I use the 2011 points thru RCI and book a 4 day resort stay NOW? I have not yet booked a single point stay since I bought my HGVC timeshare - I'm excited to actually use my points!

Also, when I went to HGVC to "deposit" my 2011 points into 2012 it only gave me the option of depositing 2012 points. Huh? What about 2011? Then I read someone's post about booking through RCI for $4800 points for 2 bdrm. (Only need 1 bdrm).

I'm excited to actually be this close to using some points! I have 15,000 on the books. (2011-2013). I need to do this in the next few weeks as I'm leaving for Israel in November and want this all done before then.

Thanks to everyone who's trying to help me understand these darn points. I'll be happy once I've actually booked something with points. Plus I want to at least feel secure knowing I have a hotel for my 2012 trip to Epcot, or Disneyworld and Princess Cruise! (I still don't know which park to see!)
Gin

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well POOP! I managed to get into the RCI booking system to see what I could book for Orlando. It would not let me go past July 2012.

Why is booking so restrictive? I am a very early planner. I like booking as early as possible. (Looking to book Eastern Europe for 2013.) I can't believe we are so hobbled.

It's frustrating. I really don't think I'll have any trouble finding accommodations in Orlando in Oct 2012. I just would like to know the reservation is made.

I know HGVC can't be booked until 200-something days out. What is the restriction on RCI?

Also, I didn't see the HGVC resort in Orlando on my Hilton Honors reservation list of hotels. I was going at least book something and then change when the points were able to be used. Can't do that either. Sigh... One of these years I may get the hang of timeshare life!
:)

barond

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Nightly Exchange

Request reservations up to 10 months prior to check-in

RCI Weekly Exchange

Request reservations up to 2 years prior to check-in

Thats from the page you see before you login to RCI from hgvclub

Baron

DaveC

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must "rescue" your points for this year into next year - same fee. You will probably have to do this anyway because it shouldn't cost 5000 points for 4 nights "Deposit" is done ahead of time. "Rescued" points are more restricted. HGVC can book 9 months out unless it's your "home" resort. I doubt you will have any trouble booking 4 nights at a HGVC resort in Orlando for October 9 months out.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Lots of rules, fees and dates for each system. They each have a language of their own.

With HGVC you have figured out booking windows, home, club and open. There are similar booking windows for RCI as barond has pointed out.

There are also a difference between rescuing points (taking this years and putting them in next year, with restrictive use the next year), and depositing points (taking next years points and pushing them out a year, with NO restrictions on use).

Languague and Booking windows. Just breathe, you are getting there. It does seem like trying to get a sip of water from a firehose. However you are making progress.

October will have NO difficultly in Orlando. You will have your pick of resorts, if you are just a little patient.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Goo advice from Sandy -- I will just add a bit.

I think for your specific question on booking for Orlando in October 2012, I would not mess with an RCI reservation for 4 days -- the fees are higher, and you have less flexibility if your plans change. I would do the following in your situation:
  1. "Rescue" your 5000 2011 points into 2012.
  2. At nine months out, reserve your choice of an Orlando resort using your HGVC points. Since October is Gold season in Orlando, your October 24-28 (Wed - Sun) 4 night reservation in a 1BR will only cost 2040 points. You will have 2960 rescued points left over that you will have to use in 2012 for another stay.

Since your 5000 rescued points must be used in 2012, if you are not planning any other stays at a HGVC resort in 2012, here are a couple of options to not lose those extra points:
  • Alternative Option 1: Deposit 2960 points into RCI now, reserving the 2040 points to be used for your Oct 2012 reservation. Rescue the 2040 points into 2012 and use those for the reservation as described above.
  • Alternative Option 2: Deposit your whole 5000 points into RCI, and simply use an Open Season reservation for Oct 2012. With Open Season, you can reserve your 4 nights at 30 days out, and pay cash (average of $90/night) for those 4 nights in a 1BR. You may need to be flexible on which resort you stay, but there will be no problem with reserving something for your dates.
Either of those last two options would deposit some points into RCI, and that extends the expiration of those points for two years.

Kurt

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is making more sense now. I will go to HGVC and rescue my points, but I will rescue them into HGVC (not RCI) so that I can book the Hilton resort in Orlando. (I presume that's doable.)

Another question - (gosh will I never NOT have questions????)
Maybe I can use any remaining points to upgrade my Princess cruise cabin. Is this possible? I read on this forum that booking a cruise using points is not a good use of points (value), that it's better to use points to "upgrade". I'm booked in a mini-suite, so I'd want to upgrade to a full suite. Possible????

I'll be back... gonna go rescue 5,000 points.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Points that are "rescued" to HGVC may be used to book HGVC or RCI stays for 2012, but any rescued-points remaining at the end of 2012 will go poof at midnight 12/31/12.

If this means that you will not be using some of your regular 2012 points, you may want to consider banking those points before the start of 2012 by either:
-- Depositing them to 2013 (they may deposited again to the RCI Program).
-- Converting them to HHonors (not a great use but they never expire).

You may want to mark when your reservation windows open. I have a spreadsheet that calculates if I booked today, what my "club" reservation windows would be for HGVC check-out and RCI check-in. If I have a reservation objective, it shows when the reservation window for that opens.

--------------------
I dunno anything 'bout cruising w-HGVC points... you may want to call HGVC to discuss that with a C/S rep.
--------------------

Last edited:

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did it! I "Rescued" my 5,000 2011 points into 2012. $69.

I did a back track from my cruise date of 10/28/12 and found out what month I need to call to book the Hilton Resort in Orlando for 4 nights. I think I would like to try the Hilton Resort since it will be our first time in Orlando. Maybe if we go back we can book an RCI resort. Here is our plan:

Arrive Orlando 24-Oct-2012 rent a car
Epcot 25-Oct
DW 26-Oct (or go back to Epcot)
Cape Canaveral 27-Oct toot around the Outlets near the Resort.
28-Oct drive to Ft. Lauderdale and board the Ruby Princess for 7-day Eastern Caribbean.
Fly back to Ontario CA upon debarkation.

Any tips suggestions for purchasing tickets or what to do would be appreciated. All we've ever seen of Flordia are the cruise docs, everglades, and south beach.

rebel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to the coast you should go to Cocoa Beach and get a t shirt at Ron Jons. Great souvenir.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... 28-Oct drive to Ft. Lauderdale and board the Ruby Princess for 7-day Eastern Caribbean...

If you rent the car in Orlando and drop it in Ft.Lauderdale, you may need to shop around to avoid a one-way drop charge. IME, Budget has pretty good rates for one-way rentals. An airport-drop might be your best bet, as its close to the port and has excellent ground-transport options.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Often within FL there are NO one way charges, but do check with the car rental companies.

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
Orlando is usually an easy location for Hilton TS availability. The booking windows is 9 Months prior to Check-Out with 3 days as the minimum @ 12 Midnight EST.

So to book to check out 10/28/12, the earliest you can book for 3 Nights would be January 26, 2012 (at 12 Midnight EST or 9PM PST on the 25th since you are in California). You want 4 nights so you can make your reservation on January 26th @ 9PM using HGVC's online system.