• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to stretch your points

ching

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Wondering if veteran HGVC members can share strategies on how YOU best utilize your points. We have 8400 and wondering what's the maximum use I can get out of it whether it be club reservations, RCI or any other external exchange company. Can anyone share their best use of points so far?

Thanks!!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Your points go further with RCI... 2BR, red season = 4800/week.
But you may not get the same resort quality that HGVC provides.
And there's a hefty reservation fee.

I book HGVC when there's one where I want to go.
If there isn't, I look for a high-quality RCI resort.

If staying less than a week, avoid weekends at HGVC.

Enhance your HHonors account with an Am-Ex HHonors card.
Spending $20K on the no-fee version gets you Gold status.

Last edited:

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Wondering if veteran HGVC members can share strategies on how YOU best utilize your points. We have 8400 and wondering what's the maximum use I can get out of it whether it be club reservations, RCI or any other external exchange company. Can anyone share their best use of points so far?

Thanks!!

Book low season thru RCI...

herkimer

Reaction score
Take five day vacations where possible and eliminate two of the double points weekend days. Cuts point usage almost in half when booking HGVC or RCI properties that can be done nightly rather than weekly.

If you want to book a HGVC property for a week try to book it through RCI. For example you can request a Parc Soleil search, and again save yourself close to half in point cost. True, there is a 1 in 4 rule, but next time search Sea World or International Drive.

For good dollar value through RCI, stay at their best resorts even though they will only book full weeks. Wilderness at Big Cedar, Disney Vero or Hilton Head, Samoset in Maine are $2500-3,500/week properties.

Apply for a Hhonors credit card and charge enough to make gold or diamond in Hhonors. Only convert points to Hhonors if you are planning to stay in the most expensive Hilton locations, NYC, Rome, Venice, etc. In Europe just the free breakfasts and executive lounges with free drinks and light meals that gold/diamonds get add additional savings. That coupled with sky high hotel rates because of currency exchange can make using HGVC points for these stays an excellent value.

Those are the only tricks I know, please share more as you find them.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I regularly get 3+ weeks out of 5,000 points by booking Oahu studios in gold season.

Reaction score
I regularly get 3+ weeks out of 5,000 points by booking Oahu studios in gold season.

My wife and I do the same thing...book a studio somewhere in low season. Easier to get in (most places) and more bang for the points. :banana:

ching

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for great replies! Does anyone use an exchange company other than RCI? If so, are there any advantages?

Just was wonderng if your points go further between different exchange companies are whether it is best to use HGVC preferred exchange company.

Thanks in advance!

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Thanks for great replies! Does anyone use an exchange company other than RCI? If so, are there any advantages?

Just was wonderng if your points go further between different exchange companies are whether it is best to use HGVC preferred exchange company.

Thanks in advance!

With the other exchange companies, you have to book a week--and I believe it has to be what you own on paper--so you won't save any points.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
With the other exchange companies, you have to book a week--and I believe it has to be what you own on paper--so you won't save any points.
Not w/ SFX. You can book any HGVC week and deposit it with SFX. There is more cost hassle, as you need to obtain and pay for a guest certificate when doing this.

But even if you do deposit your owned week, it can still be a "point stretching" strategy as you get bonus weeks w/ SFX, effectively stretching your one week to two or more.

Kurt

Last edited:

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like to take longer vacations 10 days plus, so we only have to pay one airfare. We book the longer stay and make sure it includes only one weekend. Then we book through RCI with the rest of our points at a resort we can drive to. Also we sometimes book multi week stays through RCI, less points.

DaveC

TUG Member
Reaction score
One small thing to remember is that when booking 5 days instead of a full week is that you don't get the midweek cleaning service. You can pay extra for it but it is not cheap. I forget how much but think it was well over a $100. But, don't quote me on that price. With a normal work week, I don't find that 5 day vacations are that useful. Maybe if you were close to a resort and had plenty of free time. Try to hold out for what you want if points are in short supply. ie don't get the premier if that's all that is available. Carefully, plan to take advantage of a cheaper season if posssible. Sometimes, it more enjoyable to go on a "shoulder" season because the weather is better and/or it's not as crowded. This happens often because kids are off from school at common times like summer.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Book shoulder season and make use of open season. And buy more points!!!!

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Book shoulder season and make use of open season. And buy more points!!!!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'shoulder season'? Is it something like booking the last week of a Gold season before turning Platinum?

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'shoulder season'? Is it something like booking the last week of a Gold season before turning Platinum?

Correct. Of course flexibility is required, but it works well, especially if you plan ahead and book ASAP inside club season.