• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice on getting rid of a Wyndham timeshare

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Many of you say you just need to learn how to use the timeshare to your advantage. I've found that we are between a rock and hard place as far as that goes, as well as, getting out of it. To use it most effectively and take advantage of the 'programs' Wyndham offers, we were recently told we HAD to be part of the Club Wyndham (CWA) program which required another 84,000 points to participate ($11,000 additional loan). If we 'refused' the CWA offer, we are in essense 'black balled' and can only see 60% of resort availability and also have significant increases in mtnc fees. They won't help you do anything if you REFUSE their CWA offer and their Visa card.... BUT, if you stay put and try to use it, you don't get any advantages (ie.. limited availability), and you can't rid of it if you owe. Any suggestions? :wall:
We bought in 2005 in Bonnet Creek, Orlando. Still owe $$

All Wyndham wants to do is sell you more. Do not even try to get them, at the resort face to face level, to help you use what you own. They will be of limited help if you contact reservations by phone as those folks aren't sales personnel. Look here at TUG and / or the Wyndham support group to get real help with maximizing and best using your ownership.

I agree that if your home resort is Bonnet Creek it should be in the Points program already so whatever sales was feeding you was regarding the many bogus VIP/Access BS that you don't need to worry about. You may be VIP if you have enough retail points so the perks of that may apply to you. Try to find out how to get value out as you are not in a good spot to try to sell.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
bscheller,

virtually nothing they said is true. Get set up with an online wyndham account (free) and start fishing around for a reservation.

Don't believe anything their salesman ever tell you when it comes to restrictions or solutions that involve buying more points. They are all lies.

bscheller

Reaction score
Rock and hard place

Thanks all. That was helpful. I thought the sales people were full of BS telling me we had to be part of another program. I'm definitely going to keep up through TUG! Thanks
:)

LadyBeBop

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never stayed at a Wyndham resort that I didn't like. :cheer:

However, I've never met a Wyndham salesman that I liked. :ignore:

We bought retail about ten years ago. :wall: They lied through their teeth, telling us how they would help us sell our other timeshare (Bluebeard's Castle in the US Virgin Islands...at the time undergoing turmoil with mismanagement and high MF). They did nothing.

Today. both of our timeshares are paid off, and the MFs aren't bad. We're using both to our advantage, and we're not selling (or giving away). But we've learned our lesson...Wyndham salesmen are the snake-oil salesmen of the 21st century.

However, their resorts are still outstanding.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... If we 'refused' the CWA offer, we are in essense 'black balled' and can only see 60% of resort availability ... ie.. limited availability) ...

I am also a hold out not buying into ACCESS. If you wanted to test the above statement, if a few Tuggers were interested, it could be done. I am a Platium Member, we would also need a Gold Member, a regular VIP member, and an ACCESS member (preferably two, one just in Access and one in Access and Club Wyndham Plus (another words an account that did not consolidate deeds). We would then need to coordinate a date and time and all check availabilty on selected resorts. You would be the test account. You would check yours at the appointed date and time. Then share noted. A copy past feature to Works or Word works great. Just highlight the availability on the selected resorts, copy just that to a Word or Works document (do not forget to identify the resort). Then keep adding the next test resort under the one just entered. Selected resorts should cover three general catagories. High demand, medium demand, and low demand. If there is a difference in availabilty, I would project it would be in the high demand resorts in the top two seasons of the high demand periods. If we really wanted to run a slanted test of the Wyndham properties, we could just select the top two seasons at a selected resort. I think it is a pretty good bet that if it is occurring, it is not occurring in the off seasons.

Last edited:

livepast60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Declining point value

We bought into Fairfield hearing from others that they like it. Found out fast that getting a one-bedroom got us into the just-barely-good 1BR anywhere,had to be deluxe to get off the parking lot in Sedona. Reserved a week as a weeks owner in Palmaire to be first told we didn't have enough points for our week until we insisted we were weeks owners. Haven't been back since, as we like Las Vegas, so we trade in RCI.

RCI was good as we got 3 weeks in 2BR's for a while in HGVC, Worldmark, Grand Desert, Grandview. Now that's gone, with 126,000 pts in RCI, we can get perhaps 4 days in Club Wyndham and others. We take the 3-day sales pitch specials to fill in.

HGVC gives full weeks for 4000 pts of the 5800 week. We go mainly to Worldmark, trading in Club Wyndham to RCI, transfer to Worldmark Express points.

We'd rather give up Club Wyndham and use the maintenance and reservation fees for purchasing extra vacations. Could get 2 weeks for 1 maintenance fee. Better to buy lowest purchase price timeshares that have RCI and II attached, then buy weeks, than to buy Club Wyndham. They are greeding themselves into the timeshare hotel business.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
...We'd rather give up Club Wyndham and use the maintenance and reservation fees for purchasing extra vacations. Could get 2 weeks for 1 maintenance fee. Better to buy lowest purchase price timeshares that have RCI and II attached, then buy weeks, than to buy Club Wyndham. They are greeding themselves into the timeshare hotel business.

Welcome to TUG!

You have been around long enough to see the "bad" side of Wyndham. By joining TUG as a paid member, there are many options - particularly, the Sightings thread and resort reviews.

I suggest you use your Wyndham points to visit resorts using your points on the available Resort Specials offered on the Wyndham online Web site. Many are offered in the lower seasons and with a discount off the points, you could get either 2bdrs or several weeks. Yes, you would be making reservations at the max of 60 days out and travelling in the offseason - but still better than hotel rates.;)

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I suggest you use your Wyndham points to visit resorts using your points on the available Resort Specials offered on the Wyndham online Web site. Many are offered in the lower seasons and with a discount off the points, you could get either 2bdrs or several weeks. Yes, you would be making reservations at the max of 60 days out and travelling in the offseason - but still better than hotel rates.;)

If trying to use the Resort Specials discounts you may want to focus on booking 6 weeks out or less. I belive the 60 days and under referenced above is referring to the VIP program. The FAQ of the Wyndham site states the following pertaining to Resort Specials.

Does CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus offer special point discounts? Yes, when an excess of inventory is observed six (6) weeks or less in advance of the check-in date, special point discounts may be offered. For updated information, refer to Resort Specials or your latest edition of CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Insider. VIP members are eligible for point discounts when booking new reservations 60 days in advance of their check-in. Learn more about the VIP Program.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If trying to use the Resort Specials discounts you may want to focus on booking 6 weeks out or less. ...Does CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus offer special point discounts? Yes, when an excess of inventory is observed six (6) weeks or less in advance of the check-in date, special point discounts may be offered. .../QUOTE]

Checked the tab for RESORT SPECIALS in the ONLINE Reservation System. There are 8 weeks for each available resort showing what the percentage is the applicable discount for that week. So it is a MAX of 56 days out you can apply a resort special to a booking online.

VIP discounts are 60 days to all unbooked units at all resorts - NOT a selected few with excess inventory.

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
[QUOTE ... Checked the tab for RESORT SPECIALS in the ONLINE Reservation System. There are 8 weeks for each available resort showing what the percentage is the applicable discount for that week. So it is a MAX of 56 days out you can apply a resort special to a booking online. VIP discounts are 60 days to all unbooked units.[/QUOTE]

I am impressed, Wyndham is apparently going over what they put in the written form. We better be careful not to let Senior Management know, someone might get fired. If the implication of the discussion is that VIP, VIP Gold, and VIP Platium point discount benifits are being undermined, that is what I am concluding. It is my understanding, the actual discount is the higher of the VIP discount or the Resort Specials. If this is true, then VIP benifit point discount is serious erroded. The Gold discount would be seriously comprised, and the VIP Platimum discount, cut by what appears to be about 50% (eyeball guestamate based on a very limited sample). This probably will have the effect of making re-sale purchases more desirable.

Here is an example of what is currently showing (Note: the discounts currently showing across the Resort Specials range from 10% to 35%.

Tennessee

Wyndham Nashville**

Nashville, TN
Jul 15 - 21 Jul 22 - 28 Jul 29 - Aug 4 Aug 5 - 11 Aug 12 - 18 Aug 19 - 25 Aug 26 - Sep 1 Sep 2 - 8
- - - - - 20% 25% 25%

Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Glade

Fairfield Glade, TN
Jul 15 - 21 Jul 22 - 28 Jul 29 - Aug 4 Aug 5 - 11 Aug 12 - 18 Aug 19 - 25 Aug 26 - Sep 1 Sep 2 - 8
- - - - - 20% 20% 25%

Wyndham Smoky Mountains

Sevierville, TN
- - - - - 20% 25% 25%

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge

Sevierville, TN
- - - - - - 10% 25%

Last edited:

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the implication of the discussion is that VIP, VIP Gold, and VIP Platium point discount benifits are being undermined, that is what I am concluding. It is my understanding, the actual discount is the higher of the VIP discount or the Resort Specials. If this is true, then VIP benifit point discount is serious erroded. The Gold discount would be seriously comprised, and the VIP Platimum discount, cut by what appears to be about 50% (eyeball guestamate based on a very limited sample). This probably will have the effect of making re-sale purchases more desirable.

I don't think the implication in this discussion is any such thing. The member specials apply to excess inventory in what is often times off season and shoulder season. VIP discount apply accross the board, irrespective of whether there is excess inventory or not. I don't see that as an diminishing the value of VIP discounts at all.

livepast60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Conversations on points transfer Club Wyndham - Worldmark

I transferred Club Wyndham points to RCI successfully online. The generated page said I would get an eMail saying so. .... .... .... .... :rolleyes: No eMail. I waited 2 days. :zzz:
Called Club Wyndham's RCI number,(long wait) :zzz: - told they don't send eMail confirmations and sent to Club Wyndham (long wait) :zzz: - the person that arranges transfers on phone says eMails aren't sent. :mad: I explained that Worldmark's Exchange form says to attach one, so one can ASSUME they were sent out at some time. :annoyed: Sent to Club Wyndham Member Service. (long wait) :zzz: Explained the above again. Service said she'd type one out for me and send it right now - she did. :D She said she'd also send request for Club Wyndham to send an eMail out at the same time the online deposit page confirmation appeared on screen. I sent the email with the form to Worldmark. :wave: Maybe it will get there and be accepted as equivalent points - maybe not :hi:

As Club Wyndham points are worth 2/3rd what they were worth when I bought a week, so can get just 4 days out of them, maybe I'll be able to use them for weekends in WorldMark or for some > 21 days reservations.

I'll probably try to transfer Club Wyndham to some unlucky relative or somebody who wants 4 days in the weeks program;
so I can use the maintenance fee to buy two RCI or II weeks.

Last edited:

livepast60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks VacationHopeful

Nice to have a welcome.:wave:

I use all my timeshares for Las Vegas most of the time, 3-4 weeks twice a year. I visit some other places once about every 3 years. I've been to every timeshare presentation in Las Vegas, some of them several times, so like WorldMark the most, as most properties of late are built without balconies to make cleaning the yard of gamblers less annoying, Some of the new properties don't let us open the windows, so we don't like that. :bawl: Worldmark, CanCun, Shell, and Tahiti have balconies.:D

I can get good reservations for less than 60 days as you suggest. I deposited 4000 HGVC points from my 5800 account to get a 2BR in the LV Blvd HGVC where my 5800 would have reserved a 1BR in the same. I'll probably set up my 2012 visit within 20 days to get a Worldmark 2BR reservation for 4000 points. There are some good bargains. It was nice when Club Wyndham RCI deposits got me 3 weeks in 2BR's; but looks like Club Wyndham is trying to turn itself into a hotel chain for RCI members by dropping point values to match inflation.:doh: