• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WM Indio or Oceanside

Travel1

Reaction score
Heading to Disneyland over the holidays and then want to relax a few days afterwards at either Indio or Oceanside.

So which resort would you recommend (considering the weather in late Dec)? Traveling with two teenage girls.

Will Oceanside be too cold this time of year to enjoy the beach? Will the stores by the beach be opened in the winter?

We've never been to Palm Springs...but hear it is very nice as well as the Indio resort.

So which one do you enjoy more? Thanks!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heading to Disneyland over the holidays and then want to relax a few days afterwards at either Indio or Oceanside.

So which resort would you recommend (considering the weather in late Dec)? Traveling with two teenage girls.

Will Oceanside be too cold this time of year to enjoy the beach? YES

Will the stores by the beach be opened in the winter?
We've never been to Palm Springs...but hear it is very nice as well as the Indio resort.

So which one do you enjoy more? Thanks!

Oceanside is the town adjacent to the Main Gate of camp Pendleton (One of the largest Marine Corps Bases in the Western US) it's half way between San Diego and South Orange County. IMHO the beaches are nice in the summer, but you need to Venture south to San Diego or north to Orange County for any other activities

It is the beginning of the high season for the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area, IMHO much of Palm Springs is past it's prime

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Indio resort is a fairly far drive from anything significant in the touristy areas. The resort has really good reviews. I haven't been there, yet, but I never think of it as a home base for exploring the other areas since there is so much lodging in Palm Desert and Palm Springs.

The Oceanside resort is in a boat harbor. There's a very nice beach walking south and you can walk all the way to the pier. If the sound of the train bothers you, it may not be your ideal location. Personally, I love the train.

Beach may be cold and windy or we might end up with sunny days in the high 60's or 70's. Our family used to walk on the beach every Christmas. It was always sunny, but the water feels like ice water.

I think if you're feeling adventurous, Indio would fine. If you want more laid back, not a lot of driving around, Oceanside would be a good choice. Neither would be a bad choice.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The weather is supposed to be high 60s on the beach next week.

The desert can get pretty chilly in the winter but normally, the winter temps aren't too much different this time of year.

I would take Oceanside if you have teens. The population in the desert this time of year is quite fossil-like.

lcml11

Reaction score
For those of us that use Indio, I thing a great big thank-you is owed to Worldmark. I just looked at March and the pickens were very few. Fortunately for me there was a patchwork that I put together to get a week that suited my needs.

Again, thank-you to the Worldmark folk.

Moral to this story, I guess, if you want Indio get it before all of the better seasons are gone,

jamaica72

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oceanside or Indio?

I was in Oceanside last month, its only a 30 minute drive to San Diego. There are lots of things to do in the area that would be interesting for teens. I have teenagers and they would choose Oceanside over Indio. Indio is more of a retirement community. IMHO

Denise

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, I'd go to Indio. Nicer resort, quiet, can go out to eat etc in Palm Springs, hike, take the tram, shop. For teens, go to Oceanside- right by beach and activities-more crowded, resort not as nice, but more to do. Much closer to Disney.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO the OP was asking about a post TRAGIC Kingdom wind down location.

Heading to Disneyland over the holidays and then want to relax a few days afterwards at either Indio or Oceanside

Will Oceanside be too cold this time of year to enjoy the beach? Will the stores by the beach be opened in the winter?

No they don't shut down like I would imagine beaches in the east might, but I hardly remember much of anything family friendly Oceanside shopping. Commuting to San Diego would be required.

Indio typical Worldmark, resort adjacent, all activities would need to take place along Highway 111 from Palm Desert to Palm Springs

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
What no one has mentioned is that Oceanside is right next to I5. If road noise bothers you at all don't go there. Other than the road noise the location is great, you are right next to Oceanside harbor and can easily walk to the pier along the beach. The beach this time of year is for walking nor swimming. San Diego is 45 minutes down the freeway.

Indio is a much nicer worldmark and very relaxing. This time of the year the pool will be to cold. The tram up to 7000ft is fun as is Joshua tree national park.

Ian