• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reserving Starwood weeks.

ohioelk

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is alot of discussion on the difficulty of reserving good weeks with Marriott. I was wondering how difficult it is to reserve prime weeks at your home resort in the Starwood system. Special attention to issues at Keirland and Mission Hills would be appreciated.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own premium week at Mission Hills and have received what we wanted when we requested it. Have also used the split units to go to Paris and St. John and recently used it for airline miles. Just request your desired week as soon as it allows.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reserved a week at KOR on a Wednesday for Sunday arrival in January, right during the Mercedes Classic and even got the studio upgraded to a one bedroom. I've also exchanged into Mission Hills during my children's spring break with relatively short notice. I do try to book my weeks in Maui 12 or 11 motnhs out and so far I've always gotten them for the 4th of July week. So far I haven't run into a problem with internal exchanges.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Personally, I think it is too early to tell with Westin Kananapali in Maui. The resort is fairly new and is probably close to or almost sold out. Hopefully, someone can verify that. I think you really can't judge how difficult it is to make a reservation until the resort is fully sold out.

Also, I've never had trouble reserving a Marriott week. I've been lucky. Even my aunt who is going to Maui with us in June was able to reserve a June summer week for a Saturday to Saturday check-in and then, the following week found out she had a conflict and was able to change her reservation from Sunday to Sunday.

Hard to say at this point...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
ohioelk said:
There is alot of discussion on the difficulty of reserving good weeks with Marriott. I was wondering how difficult it is to reserve prime weeks at your home resort in the Starwood system. Special attention to issues at Keirland and Mission Hills would be appreciated.

Starwood owners have priority at their home resort from 8 to 12 mos. out. As long as you book right at 12 mos. out, at 9 a.m. ET, when the Resv. office opens, you shouldn't have any problem. Making an exchange for another resort, especially Maui, St. John, and Harborside, can be much more difficult for prime weeks.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM said:
Starwood owners have priority at their home resort from 8 to 12 mos. out. As long as you book right at 12 mos. out, at 9 a.m. ET, when the Resv. office opens, you shouldn't have any problem. Making an exchange for another resort, especially Maui, St. John, and Harborside, can be much more difficult for prime weeks.

Even the big three can be reserved with staroptions if you are flexible with your dates and reserve early. I just reserved the Atlantis for the Michael Jordon Celebrity Golf Tourn. Week next year. This is with my staroptions from my VV ebay resale. It is my fourth time I have made a big three reservation wihout a problem. Ben

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I was able to reserve my Kierland week for spring break for both 2006 & 2007 with no problem. I did call at 12 mos. out, right when they opened the reservation line. For the 2006 week, at 8 mos. out, I cancelled my Kierland reservation, and reserved a 1-bedroom at Westin Ka'anapali for 11 nights (later adding one more night), with the stay starting on June 16th. There didn't seem to be an issue with availability.

I agree with the others that if you reserve at your home resort right at 12 mos. out, you shouldn't have a problem.

Glorian

pharmgirl

Reaction score
DeniseM said:

I was late and booked at Maui 7 mths out (we're owners) when we arrived Jan 06 we were placed into an "island view" out to highway! although we own oceanview. Didn't know till we asked that our "view" is only effective during the 8 - 12 mths out. I was upset since no one mentioned this when I was making reservations. I could easily have just made reservation for a later date and had what we paid for.
I asked why not let people know - I'd rather change my dates than go all the way to Maui from NJ (10 hrs) and get a view of the highway! I guess I made enough of a problem that we were eventually put inot a condo that looked over the construction but at least we had a reasonable ocean view from balconey. My DH enjoys looking at buildings under construction so he enjoyed greatly

This time I will try to make reservations early but I still think we should be told of the possibility of getting highway view building and letting us make a decision.

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your view, pharmgirl. Maybe Starwood should be more clear that this will happen if you do not reserve within your "home resort preference period" (8-12 months in advance). As you found out, when you reserve 0-8 months out, that is considered the "network float period", and you are using your StarOptions, competing with all other Starwood owners. During this period, there is no difference between you (an owner at the resort) and an owner at another Starwood resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi pharmgirl - I have found that www.mystarcentral.com is a good place to familarize yourself with Starwood policies. And you can also pay your MF and make payments there (if you have one) and contact Starwood or your owner's Assoc. with questions there.

I would hate the freeway view too! Glad you got moved!