• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

La Plage st maarten

tcrny

TUG Member
Reaction score
$ 50.00 tax is per week/TS (not per person). Mini-buses are larger vans with lic plate BUS xxx and you pay per segment using little chart on display. Cash only. BUS will not take you to other beaches, you can use it to go to Philipsburg or Marigot and some residential areas. It is mostly used by locals to get to and from work. For short distance taxi may cost your party less than BUS. Two day car rental is probably the best choice. Maho market also has local food at lunch sold by weight. Thay also have adequate meat (their seasoned ribs are delicious) and beverage selection if you want to cook at your condo. They have fresh breads all day long. Enjoy your trip, I have seven more months to wait my turn.:wave:

Thanks for the info ... are you staying at LaPlage?

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two Questions

Hi. I just booked a week at La Plage through RCI and I have two questions:
1) is there an elevator? Just asking since I see that the buildings are at least 5 floors high, and 2) do they drive on the right or left side of the road?

We've stopped at St. Maarten twice on cruises in the nineties but never stayed there. I'm excited!

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes elevator and US cars and US side of the road, only difference is the signs are european but easy to figure out.

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, silverfox.

I just checked rental prices - very reasonable. Is there a bus stop within walking distance from RICLP? I enjoy taking local jitneys in Nassau, Grand Cayman, and Cancun.

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom for regular visitors is to use a local car rental company, I have used Tropical and Kenny's recently and am renting from the latter in Aug. I request a "scratch and dent", no need to worry about an additional bimp which seems to happen more often than not. Try TTOL for additional info on SXM and websites for car sponsers. SF, former owner of a '60 and '66 coupe, next one????

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
BUS

Local buses are minivans with lic plate BUS Xxx. Bus fare is set and posted on the dash. Buses are used by locals and some tourists, you need to ask if you want them to stop. They collect money as you get off. Just watch what locals do and you will be fine. You can take BUS from Maho to Philipsburg or Marigot and any place between. Have fun!

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you.

Now I have to check out trip insurance since the trip is in September and DH won't be covered for medical insurance out of the country (Medicare and Tricare for Life). Any suggestions?

silver82- I sold my '98 dark red convertible last summer and I sure do miss it! I saw a new Mazda Miata that was the same color on the NJ Turnpike today. Maybe that should be the next purchase. Nah! We also had a '91 coupe too.