• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GRAND LUXXE RESIDENCE CLUB Amazing/Harsh Transfer Conditions

gkbiiii

Reaction score
GRAND LUXXE RESIDENCE CLUB RIVEIRA MAYA

This is for sale on ebay, notice the rather harsh transfer requirement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAND-LUXXE-RESIDENCE-CLUB-RIVEIRA-MAYA-TIMESHARE-FOR-SALE-/221523167996?pt=Timeshares&hash=item3393cf4afc

DETAILS:

Anniversary Date:
N/A
Usage Time:

Type of Ownership:
Deeded
Perpetual

Trading Company:
Interval International

Maintenance fees & Taxes approx.:

1 Bedroom

$ 1,700.00 Yearly

Availability:

FEES DUE AT TIME OF SALE:
2015 Maintenance Fee:
To Be Billed By Resort

Settlement Fee (Closing Cost):
$450

Resort Transfer Fee:
$8,500 5 Years of Prepaid Maintenance Fees

Plus The Winning bid:

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Looks like a nice place, but that is an amazingly harsh transfer fee... Guess they want to discourage resales as much as possible...

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Yep, this has been mentioned here before. Totally insane.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort Transfer Fee:
$8,500 5 Years of Prepaid Maintenance Fees

Does this mean that the transfer fee is the equivalent of 5 years' MFs or that the new buyer has to prepay 5 years of MFs (IOW, do the $8500 go towards the MFs)?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that the transfer fee is the equivalent of 5 years' MFs or that the new buyer has to prepay 5 years of MFs (IOW, do the $8500 go towards the MFs)?

My understanding is the 8,500 does NOT go towards MF 's, strictly money to the developer for the transfer.

Gorgeous resort but if I was going to spend that much, I would buy something else on resale market.

gkbiiii

Reaction score
My understanding is the 8,500 does NOT go towards MF 's, strictly money to the developer for the transfer.

Gorgeous resort but if I was going to spend that much, I would buy something else on resale market.

I thought that the 5 years was pre-paid annual dues, thus you would not owe anything for 5 years? Just in year 6, would you owe dues.

I just now posed the question to the seller.

Last edited:

gkbiiii

Reaction score
I thought that the 5 years was pre-paid annual dues, thus you would not owe anything for 5 years? Just in year 6, would you owe dues.

I just now posed the question to the seller.

Here is the answer:

Dear acobbfan,

Does this mean, that the dues would be paid for 5 years and the first payment due (after the $8,500 payment) would be in year 6?

Dear 2014_bausl,

Hello and thank you for your inquiry. That is absolutely correct. We do accept offers if you would like to make one.

- acobbfan

gkbiiii

Reaction score
So, if the seller is correct and you are pre-paying 5 years of dues upfront, at today's price; perhaps for the right person, this might be a reasonable deal.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't believe this answer is correct. I believe the correct answer is that the transfer fee is "equivalent to five years' maintenence fees." It is not five years' prepaid maintenence fees at all, from what I understand, but an additional transfer fee, which is the same amount as five years' maintenence fees would be. It is NOT prepaid maintenence fees, but a transfer fee, and nothing more, unless it has changed.

I wouldn't take the seller's word for it, but would contact the resort and ask them, because it is a heck of a lot of difference between what the seller is saying and what I believe to be true.

Fern

Here is the answer:

Dear acobbfan,

Does this mean, that the dues would be paid for 5 years and the first payment due (after the $8,500 payment) would be in year 6?

Dear 2014_bausl,

Hello and thank you for your inquiry. That is absolutely correct. We do accept offers if you would like to make one.

- acobbfan

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Here is the answer:

Dear acobbfan,

Dear 2014_bausl,

- acobbfan

So, if the seller is correct and you are pre-paying 5 years of dues upfront, at today's price; perhaps for the right person, this might be a reasonable deal.

I don't believe this answer is correct. I believe the correct answer is that the transfer fee is "equivalent to five years' maintenence fees." It is not five years' prepaid maintenence fees at all, from what I understand, but an additional transfer fee, which is the same amount as five years' maintenence fees would be. It is NOT prepaid maintenence fees, but a transfer fee, and nothing more, unless it has changed.

I wouldn't take the seller's word for it, but would contact the resort and ask them, because it is a heck of a lot of difference between what the seller is saying and what I believe to be true.

Fern

Since Fern and the seller can't both be right, one of them is wrong.

You definitely need to check this out indepently of the seller, most likely someone reliable at the resort.

BTW my money is on Fern from what I've read in the past on this issue.

Either way you really need to find out for sure and the person who stands to gain from the sale is not the one to ask.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Acobbfan as a whole probably has the most inaccurate ads and info of any ebay time share seller who sells more than 5 a year. I wouldn't trust anything without verification from another source.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Transfer fees

Mayan has been 5X the maintenance fees for quite a while now. They used to be 10% of the sales price and before that it was one maintenance fee.

traveler36

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the 5X maintenance fee is a transfer fee to the resort. It does not cover future maintenance fees of the buyer. Technically it is paid by the seller on resale. Incidentally newer contracts usually require a 10X maintenance fee for a resale. The purpose is to make resales expensive and avoid competition for the resort from a resale market. Fewer and fewer Grand Luxxe resales are being offered because it now makes little ecomonic sense for the seller. Moreover this maintenance fee is waived for transfers to immediate family or heirs.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Transfer fees

For that amount the seller would have to pay, but the norm is the buyer pays the transfer fee, unless of course they are just trying to dump it.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Luxxe Transfer fee

My understanding is that this transfer fee goes to Vida Group and is NOT for 5 yrs of free maintenance fees. Do you really think Vida would miss getting this exorbitant MF from a new owner? Not a chance. And yes, I thought the new contracts specify 10 MF's for a transfer fee as well. Good luck to the owner trying to sell. I really wish them well. There are so many GL ownerships for sale on the internet now and I suspect there will be many many more when the uninformed "new owners" get home and realize how expensive the week actually will cost them in the future. The MF's never go down. :hi:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
And I thought Southwind Management was bad. They require (at least the last time I checked) $1,500 advance fee payment plus transfer fee's. It looks like this may become the method of choice to combat the Viking ship companies. Almost makes me think I should dump our Spinnaker (Southwind Management) timeshare before they decide to increase their advance payment charge.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
OTOH (just trying to spin a different angle here), if someone really wants to get into a GL, this is less expensive than buying direct. :eek: (Though I'm sure some of the direct bennies may not transfer--a buyer really needs to check this out.)

So glad my old MP contract is only one low m/f to transfer.