• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Timeshares Ever Gone Up in Value?

gkbiiii

Reaction score
A couple of year ago, I saw a TV show where they mentioned one timeshare that had gone up in value, and never gone down over 10-20 year period.

Do any such properties exist and if so, what makes them so special, compared to others, in the marketplace?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 2BR plat plus at WKV has increased in value by several thousand dollars in the last few years.

A couple of year ago, I saw a TV show where they mentioned one timeshare that had gone up in value, and never gone down over 10-20 year period.

Do any such properties exist and if so, what makes them so special, compared to others, in the marketplace?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
25 years ago you could buy Marriotts pre-construction and later sell them at break even or a small profit. The only way to sell one now for more than you paid is to buy it right in the resale market. The problem with getting your money back on new Resorts is that 50% of the sales prices represents the Developer's marketing costs.

George

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, sure. You can get 'em free, and if you get lucky, you can sell 'em for a buck or two. Great investment!

Jim

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pixie Dust Luxury Timeshare Estates, maybe ?

I had thought, that there was one luxury development, that held & increased its value.

If this mythical "luxury development" is one of interval ownership (i.e., timeshares) and if by "held and increased its' value" the benchmark reference is to the original developer pricing, then I respectfully submit that such a place likely exists only in the minds and imaginations of marketeers and /or their glossy sales brochures. :rolleyes:

The value of weeks has increased at many places since 2008, but that really only reflects a climate change from "dismal" to "less weak" in the overall economy, IMO.

Resales can and do increase in value, if bought "right". While not absolutely certain (we have no interest in selling anyhow), I believe that most (maybe all) of our owned weeks would sell today in the resale market for at least what we previously paid in the resale market. Then again, even if that's true, factor in the erosion of a dollar's value via inflation over the years and that would still constitute a "loss"; comparing the exact same numbers then vs. now is essentially comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Disney Vacation Club has seen increased value, if you bought in early enough.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with getting your money back on new Resorts is that 50% of the sales prices represents the Developer's marketing costs.

This is the #1 problem. Even if all else stayed the same, the actual "value" is not what someone pays. It's as low as half. It could easily increase from this real value amount but most people look at the amount they paid. It's almost impossible for the market value to increase above what someone paid directly to the developer today.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Disney Vacation Club has seen increased value, if you bought in early enough.

some of it is just timing. if you bought resale a few years ago in the "great recession", you could sell for a small profit right now. (heck, if you had bought BLT direct, you could still sell for a small profit.)

but yeah, if you bought OKW for $48 per pt in 1991, you could sell for $60+ per pt now. or if you bought BCV for $75 per pt in 2002, you could sell for $100+ per pt now.

(disclaimer - or is it a DISclaimer - past performance is not a guarantee of future returns.)

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I bought a unit last year for $103 and am in the process of selling it for $350 to $500 (no final price as of yet).

But, as others have suggested some will go up if you buy right but I'm sure these little nickles and dimes are not what your question is about.

That's a nice percentage increase but it is a bother to deal with.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I brought 1,000,000 Wyndham Royal Vista UDI points 2+ years ago for $1000. I could most likely sell that contract for MORE money total - even today.

Figure I will wait until the HS Class of 1976 hits 64-67 years old --- that was the HUMP of the baby boomer's birth year. Esp if the economy is still getting stronger.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a unit last year for $103 and am in the process of selling it for $350 to $500 (no final price as of yet).

But, as others have suggested some will go up if you buy right but I'm sure these little nickles and dimes are not what your question is about.

That's a nice percentage increase but it is a bother to deal with.

You gotta do it in volume John... Ray Kroc made money selling hamburgers for 15 cents....billions and billions of them

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
You gotta do it in volume John... Ray Kroc made money selling hamburgers for 15 cents....billions and billions of them

I'm retired Ron and I didn't even want to do this but while looking for a 2br unit I bought the 1br and am now selling it. Thanks to SumDay and CJ, I now have two 2br units.

I hope I don't see another, my wife is mad about this last one.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Like Cal Worthington is reputed to have said:
I lose money on every car I sell, but I make it up in volume.

:)

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know of a week 51 and 52 fixed week ski-in/out timeshare which seems to have more than doubled in price since the developer sold it back around 1997. So, people who have owned it for 15 years have made over $20k.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Going up would be nice... I was just hoping they don't lose too much value while I own them.. I seems like a resale TS unit from one of the major companies should hold its value OK, or at least i think it should... But of course i guess people might become focused on the newer resorts.. leaving my ownership to decline over time..

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney Vacation Club for sure! Bought OKW at $51 and sold at $70. Disney's Boardwalk Villas bought at $60 sold at $79. Disney's Beach Club Villas bought at $70 sold at $85.

That was 4 years ago though. If you bought early at BCV, OKW, BWV or VWL you would be in + column for sure

persia

Reaction score
Although it may be an unusually situation a lot of Wyndham timeshares reached a zero or negative value during the recession, so Wyndham timeshares that you could have gotten without spending a cent a couple years ago can be sold for a few hundred dollars now....

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, someone can buy a timeshare for a low price and sell for a higher price. Just like someone can buy a used car and sell higher, but it doesn't mean all used cars of that type went up in value.

There have been times in the past when timeshare resales at the Hollywood Sands where we own 3 weeks were higher than initial developer sales.

On the Broward county website, the developer started selling inits in 1984. Records show sales of February weeks sold for about $7000. I know that some people paid slightly higher prices. The broker that represents our resort told me that at the height of the real estate bubble, they sold a unit for about $22,000. That's hard to believe, but he had no reason to deceive me.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Here's a link to an article, "5 Bad Money Moves":
http://www.aarp.org/money/investing/info-2014/5-bad-money-moves.html

Mentions timeshares as one of the bad money moves...

In general the article makes sense, though I personal don't consider or own my timeshare as a financial investment.. Its more of an investment in my lifestyle / vacation than having an exception that i would ever sell it for a profit.. Timeshares are a hard product to figure out an exact economic value, but that does not mean they are bad and should be avoided.. As long as you realize what your buying, and are comfortable with the expenses,

Smudge

Reaction score
Financially Wiser to Rent than to Own

Below is a quote from the article: (http://www.aarp.org/money/investing/info-2014/5-bad-money-moves.html)

Time-Share

Have you ever been offered a stay at a resort at an incredible price? And all you had to do was spend 90 minutes in a presentation on the resort's interval-ownership program? It goes something like this: At the presentation, you watch a promotional video, tour the property, then get the pitch: For, say, $20,000, you can invest in a lifetime of weeklong vacations. How can you resist?

If you do resist, prepare for a hard sell that takes hours. These people are trained to get you to buy before you have time to do the math. So let's do it now. Your $20,000 translates to more than $1 million per unit if all 52 weeks are sold. But the unit itself may be worth only $200,000. And it's a money pit of recurring fees: The American Resort Development Association says average annual maintenance costs hit $822 in 2012, up 5 percent from 2011. The vast majority of time-share owners can't unload their units for anything approaching what they paid. If you go to SellMyTimeshareNow.com, you'll find more than a thousand time-shares for $1,000 or less. These owners are just looking to get out of the maintenance obligations they purchased. Bottom line: Get a hotel room.

I think he is pointing out that it is financially much wiser to rent vacation time (either at a hotel or timeshare) than to actually sink money into and owning a timeshare.

bdmauk

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pier 7, Fox Hills
#1 tugger rule = never pay retail

Quote: "If you go to SellMyTimeshareNow.com, you'll find more than a thousand time-shares for $1,000 or less. These owners are just looking to get out of the maintenance obligations they purchased. Bottom line: Get a hotel room."

I disagree. Bottom line: Buy a free or $100 timeshare.
2br timeshare suites beat a hotel room any day!!

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
If at the end of the day I can recoup the money I have "invested" in a timeshare (price+closing costs+maintenance fees) in vacations and rental income (comparing what I could have rented the same week for), I will be a happy camper since I always looked at it as pre-paid vacations for life, not real estate. On my developer purchases I have recouped 40% in 6 years. On my resales, it will only take about 4.5 years on average. After that, it is "profit".

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
There are exceptions. We bought an EOY ocean view week at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club in 2007 from the developer. We sold it in 2010 at a profit (before commission) through Marriott Resales. After commission, we "lost" a very small amount. I admit, however, that this scenario is unusual and probably could not be duplicated today. This was not always the case, however. We bought Sabal Palms pre-construction in 1987 and its value more than doubled over the next 20 years, before dropping precipitously. We then sold at approximately break-even in 2011, and the values are even much less today. The real problem with timeshare market values is not the purchase prices but the level of maintenance fees and their continual rise, often making it much cheaper than the maintenance fees to stay at a property by renting. Years ago this was almost never the case.