• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are there adults only timeshares?

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of any adults only timeshares. I think they should have more of these.

They have all inclusive resorts for adults. They have retirement communities specifically for seniors. Why not timeshares?

These resorts would be cleaner. Furniture would last longer. No need to spend money on playgrounds, water toys, arcades, etc.

Basically, MFs could be lower. Would you be interested in visiting such a place?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Timeshares are built to make money, and therefore they want to appeal to the widest audience possible. Even seniors often want to take family and grandchildren on vacation with them.

I do believe that there is at least one adults only TS in Florida, but it's "clothing optional."

Previous discussion: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118772

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of any adults only timeshares. I think they should have more of these.

They have all inclusive resorts for adults. They have retirement communities specifically for seniors. Why not timeshares?

These resorts would be cleaner. Furniture would last longer. No need to spend money on playgrounds, water toys, arcades, etc.

Basically, MFs could be lower. Would you be interested in visiting such a place?

I dont live in a senior community, and I prefer eating at family restaurants, and I enjoy g-rated movies as much as the others, Maybe its because my granddkids live 3000 miles away, and I dont see them as much as Id like, but One of the things I enjoy most about timeshare vacations is watching the kids enjoy themselves. A kids laughter is downright infectious....It wouldnt be a vacation for me with out the kids running up and down the hallways,

oh and like Denise says..kids are big business...aint gonna happen

Last edited:

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to go to a timeshare for adults only. I'm really tired of unruly children and ignorant parents.

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an interesting thought.

My wife recently traveled to Sanibel for a Board Meeting. Some of the folks on the flight, middle-aged to boot, said they would pay extra for a child-free flight.

I can see the value of child-free flights.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have heard of two, and one was being discussed here but the thread was eliminated. I don't remember either one.

Your best bet is to stay away from areas with large attractions for kids and to travel when most of them are in school.

I don't mind the kids being around and usually enjoy watching them have a good time. It takes me back to when my kids were young.

I now travel at least once a year with my daughter's hubby and two children and I love it.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I really like about the Four Seasons Troon in Scottsdale is that they actually enforce the "adults only" pool rules. There are 3 pools there or at least there were when I was there a few years ago. They had one for kiddies, one for both adults and kiddies and one for adults only.

We were there when a family with two little ones in diapers came into the pool that was clearly and repeatedly marked "adults only". The staff came right over and "redirected" them after some resistance and protests by the parents.

I liked that the pool and pool areas were quiet and relaxing, not to mention diaper-free.

Also, it's not a chlorine pool. It's a sodium bromide pool which I like as I do not smell like Clorox for the rest of the day.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might try one of the timeshares close to the French Quarter in New Orleans....Although there is lots to do with kids in New Orleans, the French Quarter is not where families typically go

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might try one of the timeshares close to the French Quarter in New Orleans....Although there is lots to do with kids in New Orleans, the French Quarter is not where families typically go

Just avoid the 4th floor of the Quarter House Christmas week. I will be occupying all 1,590 sq ft of unit 430 with ages 8, 7, 6, 4, & 3. :p

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adults only

There are a few in Cabo that are truly adults only. One is clothing not required in San Jose and the other is Pueblo Bonito Pacifica which is a grogeous all inclusive resort. 16 and older. And if you have the need for the screaming of children you can go to one of the sister resorts.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the Wyndham in Cozumel is still adults-only. I'm pretty sure there was at least one other resort in Cozumel also.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And I am willing to bet that they are also tired of you.

Do you feel better after personally insulting someone? She said nothing against you.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you feel better after personally insulting someone? She said nothing against you.

I believe this had been reported earlier, but no action was taken.

-

Last edited:

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe

If you think adults are less prone to destruction and mess I task you to clean restrooms in an office building for a week.

I prefer to have a mixed crowd. Some kids, some adults, some adults acting like kids - variety is the spice of life!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

To be honest I took the comment a little bit personal because wanting to exclude all children is a little like saying all children are unruly, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and to vacation where they desire. But that said, I am not sure why my response would be considered a "personal" insult. It is more of a tit for tat. Those that prefer adult only resorts due to the "unruly children" and "ignorant parents" are likely not the types that families would prefer to have around.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took the 'adults only' request by the OP to be more on the line of preferring not to be in the company of other people's children, than desiring a 'clothing optional' resort. But I can see it going either way.

No need to be offended by someone's desire to vacation with adults any more than a sign outside a retirement community saying '55+'

This is one of the things that would keep me off a Disney cruise. I might enjoy the luxury of the thing, but to be surrounded with the high-pitched screaming of kids at play is not a pleasant or relaxing sound to my ears. I like kids. I even think that at one time, I WAS one. But I got over it.

We took our grandkids on a flying vacation last week. We flew Southwest. I had checked in within 2 minutes of the 24 hour opening of check-in, and still got well into the 'B' boarding group. Since Southwest boards the family groups with infants between 'A' and 'B' groups, they had all boarded ahead of us and the UM's (Unaccompanied Minors) who board first. We found ourselves in the back 1/4 of the plane, surrounded by infants and toddlers.

It was enough to reinforce my personal desire to NOT travel during school holidays.

So.... advice for the OP, who wants to reduce the child/adult ratio at resorts, simply go during the time school is in session. It won't eliminate kids, but their presence will be significantly reduced, and those who are there will be better behaved.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would love to go to a timeshare for adults only. I'm really tired of unruly children and ignorant parents.

To be honest I took the comment a little bit personal because wanting to exclude all children is a little like saying all children are unruly, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and to vacation where they desire. But that said, I am not sure why my response would be considered a "personal" insult. It is more of a tit for tat. Those that prefer adult only resorts due to the "unruly children" and "ignorant parents" are likely not the types that families would prefer to have around.

I think the Saint's fan is correct, this sounds like an insult to all parents who have had their children act like children while on vaca.

Unruly children are not necessarily the result of ignorant parents. In fact I've seen and known many ignorant adults who don't have children and many well behaved children with ignorant parents.

Why lump the two together?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason there are few I think is that no matter how much you might not want or like children one may pop into your life. What then would you do with your timeshare?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just avoid the 4th floor of the Quarter House Christmas week. I will be occupying all 1,590 sq ft of unit 430 with ages 8, 7, 6, 4, & 3. :p

As a public service, can you please always post your specific vacation plans on TUG as early as possible? :D

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm with Jim. I think that is what the Original Poster meant. I know myself- I own at a very family oriented resort. We love it and enjoy watching other peoples kids enjoy themselves. Our son grew up going to this resort.

One thing I like to do is relax by and swim in the outside pool as I only get one or two weeks a year to do that. Usually it is very pleasant (especially off season), but then you get those teens- sorry- but especially boys in groups- who take up most of the pool and are throwing balls and wrestling and yelling and basically none of the adults or smaller children can enjoy the pool.
Times like that I wish we had an adult only pool. It also annoys me when an adult decides to play ball with his child and throws the ball the whole length of the pool back and forth, back and forth- well- how can anyone else swim between them? They are oblivious...

The other thing I dislike is when adults let small children in the adult only hot tub. Our resort finally decided to have a family hot tub and an adult only hot tub, but many people do not obey the rules.:annoyed:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
....Your best bet is to stay away from areas with large attractions for kids and to travel when most of them are in school.

I don't mind the kids being around and usually enjoy watching them have a good time. It takes me back to when my kids were young.

Just go to South Florida during weeks 3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11....

The population will be almost kid free - but the senior citizens will be frisky.

Now, college students will be around starting Week 9 and then 10 & 11 ... they scream and fuss and throw things ... but it is a favorite seasonal activity to get the pool chairs early .. always a good show. ;) Girls in the pools (ladies in the pool chairs); boys at the bar (both age groups).

And bring several pool balls (12 inch size) ... the kids love to play with them in the water.

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with Jim. I think that is what the Original Poster meant. I know myself- I own at a very family oriented resort. We love it and enjoy watching other peoples kids enjoy themselves. Our son grew up going to this resort.

One thing I like to do is relax by and swim in the outside pool as I only get one or two weeks a year to do that. Usually it is very pleasant (especially off season), but then you get those teens- sorry- but especially boys in groups- who take up most of the pool and are throwing balls and wrestling and yelling and basically none of the adults or smaller children can enjoy the pool.
Times like that I wish we had an adult only pool. It also annoys me when an adult decides to play ball with his child and throws the ball the whole length of the pool back and forth, back and forth- well- how can anyone else swim between them? They are oblivious...

The other thing I dislike is when adults let small children in the adult only hot tub. Our resort finally decided to have a family hot tub and an adult only hot tub, but many people do not obey the rules.:annoyed:

Interesting thread and although I was initally reluctant to "throw my 2 cents in", I agree that the OP was not condemning all parents.
The statement was interpreted by some as such (ahem, Saintfanfl) but there is a legitimacy to the desire for adults traveling without children to want to enjoy their resorts and have quieter atmosphere.
We are 'empty-nesters" with one son moved out after college, other finishing in VA.
To us, it does seem impossible to avoid kids around the pools, adjacent rooms, etc. but it helps to avoid peak family travel periods like summer months of July and August and school vacation weeks (varies).

An example for us was a few years ago at Marriott Lakeshore Reserve (Orlando) in late May. We thought that would be a reasonably quiet few days to visit, prior to Memorial Day week.
There were several families staying there and we situated ourselves in a quieter spot, around the other side of the lazy river, opposite the slide and zero entry area of the pool.
Eventually, more families spread throughout the pool area and a young boy (maybe 5 yrs. old) and his older brother showed up with what appeared to be grandparents. The young boy was miserable, cried and complained the whole time. Nothing seemed to appease the kid.
That's not really enjoyable for other guests and certainly the harried parents.
So why keep the unruly child poolside and continue to disrupt the area? :shrug:

And adult pools are abused as we witnessed at Newport Coast back in 2011. A Mom showed up with two kids at the adults pool and they brazenly used the pool and hot tub! We have seen that at other timeshare resorts, including non-Marriott, over the years. Aruba Surf Club keeps a security guard posted at its adults pool so it less of a problem there.

Basically, it can be difficult for adults looking for a little "kid-lite" timeshare vacation as these resorts by their intended design, i.e., two or more bedrooms, eat-in kitchens, multiple pools and recreation amenities, etc. to accommodate and attract families to them.
Seems best we can do is to roll the dice for shoulder seasons and hope for lower volume (literally) :D

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting thread and although I was initally reluctant to "throw my 2 cents in", I agree that the OP was not condemning all parents.
The statement was interpreted by some as such (ahem, Saintfanfl) but there is a legitimacy to the desire for adults traveling without children to want to enjoy their resorts and have quieter atmosphere.
We are 'empty-nesters" with one son moved out after college, other finishing in VA.
To us, it does seem impossible to avoid kids around the pools, adjacent rooms, etc. but it helps to avoid peak family travel periods like summer months of July and August and school vacation weeks (varies).

An example for us was a few years ago at Marriott Lakeshore Reserve (Orlando) in late May. We thought that would be a reasonably quiet few days to visit, prior to Memorial Day week.
There were several families staying there and we situated ourselves in a quieter spot, around the other side of the lazy river, opposite the slide and zero entry area of the pool.
Eventually, more families spread throughout the pool area and a young boy (maybe 5 yrs. old) and his older brother showed up with what appeared to be grandparents. The young boy was miserable, cried and complained the whole time. Nothing seemed to appease the kid.
That's not really enjoyable for other guests and certainly the harried parents.
So why keep the unruly child poolside and continue to disrupt the area? :shrug:

And adult pools are abused as we witnessed at Newport Coast back in 2011. A Mom showed up with two kids at the adults pool and they brazenly used the pool and hot tub! We have seen that at other timeshare resorts, including non-Marriott, over the years. Aruba Surf Club keeps a security guard posted at its adults pool so it less of a problem there.

Basically, it can be difficult for adults looking for a little "kid-lite" timeshare vacation as these resorts by their intended design, i.e., two or more bedrooms, eat-in kitchens, multiple pools and recreation amenities, etc. to accommodate and attract families to them.
Seems best we can do is to roll the dice for shoulder seasons and hope for lower volume (literally) :D

Post #4 is what the Saints fan and I took offense to, not the OP.

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
Post #4 is what the Saints fan and I took offense to, not the OP.

My mistake, should have said the comments by cissy in post #4 had some folks upset.
Certainly all parents are not ignorant nor all children visiting timeshares unruly, but for those that are, I can't say I disagree with her frustration.

I expect kids to be kids. My wife and I raised two sons, they occasionally had their moments as well.
What I don't understand is entitlement and inconsideration by those supervising to disrupt the area and make life miserable for other guests.
If the children misbehave or are obnoxious, remove them from the pool area or do your best to resolve the inappropriate behavior.
Some, not all, of the same "unruly" kids, become obnoxious and wild teens and eventually adults (see cell phone abuse).....they never do "grow up".....