• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
is this true
MM1 is much nicer than MMO?

if this is true, why ?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
is this true
MM1 is much nicer than MMO?

if this is true, why ?

Yes for 2BR units and 1 BR lockoffs. For a studio where neither MMO or MM1 has a full kitchen or laundry, many people prefer the older MMO section because the studios there are a little larger. MMO is an excellent hotel conversion, but it is still a hotel conversion.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes for 2BR units and 1 BR lockoffs. For a studio where neither MMO or MM1 has a full kitchen or laundry, many people prefer the older MMO section because the studios there are a little larger. MMO is an excellent hotel conversion, but it is still a hotel conversion.
Actually I'd be curious to see how many would prefer the full kitchen and only 1 BTH in the new over the kitchenette and 2nd BTH in the 1BDRM MOC. I know we preferred the MOC for the 1BDRMs.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is in the Kitchenette? Does it have a burner or is it micro only?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
New is beautiful

I used to stay at the old Marriott hotel before it was converted. I did tour the conversion units when we bought at the new Lahaina tower.

Frankly, there's no comparison. The new towers are far more luxurious. I would much prefer the full kitchen, dinning room, hot tub, etc. that you get in the towers.

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
I really enjoy cooking on vacation (maybe even more so than at home cause I am all relaxed!), so I prefer the full kitchen. I also like having laundry right there in the unit.

However, even in the older units, you can request a rice cooker to supplement whatever you cook in the microwave or on the grill, so while you might have to get more creative, you can still whip up some tasty meals. I also prefer the balcony layout of the older section (balconies off of the bedrooms *and* living area) in the older section, so it's a close call with the kitchen only barely winning out.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Actually I'd be curious to see how many would prefer the full kitchen and only 1 BTH in the new over the kitchenette and 2nd BTH in the 1BDRM MOC. I know we preferred the MOC for the 1BDRMs.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I didnt even realize our 1 bedroom at MOC this summer is a 1+2. I will be so happy that our kids (boys) have their own bathroom. We only eat out 1 meal per day, but I decided I could live without a stove..a friend taught me how to microwave an egg :) Just worried about the size of the refrigerator. Can we fit ice cream in the freezer? Have to get my Rosa Lani Mud Pie Ice Cream while there :)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
This difference of opinion is what makes life interesting. I understand both points of view. For us, however, the comparison is like night and day. Many owners of the old units (like us) upgraded to the new towers when they became available at substantial additional cost. I have never regretted that decision. I am glad the old units in Maui have so many fans because it only enhances the value and status of the resort as a whole.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Have to get my Rosa Lani Mud Pie Ice Cream while there :)

Never heard of this mud pie, but both my DW and I love mud pie. Where would we find this? Thanks.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I didnt even realize our 1 bedroom at MOC this summer is a 1+2. I will be so happy that our kids (boys) have their own bathroom. We only eat out 1 meal per day, but I decided I could live without a stove..a friend taught me how to microwave an egg :) Just worried about the size of the refrigerator. Can we fit ice cream in the freezer? Have to get my Rosa Lani Mud Pie Ice Cream while there :)

Unfortunately the refridgerator in MOC leave a lot to be desired. If they could do one thing I'd request a bigger fridge because its so small. And I'm sorry to say the frezzer section is narrow and doesn't ever seem to work very well so ice cream other than ice cream bars are out of the question.

The big thing for us is the 2nd bathroom. It practically a necessity in my book. Having only one with 2 girls and a young boy is really tough. So much so that until its just my wife and I we will always choose the 2nd bath over a full kitchen/laundry.

abouna

Reaction score

Well, you can always just walk down the beach walk every night to Leilani's and get Hula Pie as an excuse if it doesn't fit in the freezer.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II

Yep, thats the one. We have usually gotten it at Star market on Maui & found in on Kauai in Poipu..even if the freezer is small, ill scoop it into bowls or coffees cups and put them in the freezer :) Hula pie, doesnt compare imo. Nothing like sitting on the balcony, watching the ocean, eating Rosalani Mud Pie from a wine glass..:)

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
I was just realized that my unit does not have laundry facilities in the room.
How far is the laundry room? Is it expensive? I have gotten spoiled with traveling home with clean clothes.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just realized that my unit does not have laundry facilities in the room.
How far is the laundry room? Is it expensive? I have gotten spoiled with traveling home with clean clothes.

The washers and dryers are free and they do provide a few boxes of soap I believe. They are conveniently located near the pool area.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
The washers and dryers are free and they do provide a few boxes of soap I believe. They are conveniently located near the pool area.

It is a large, nice, clean laundry room with several free washers & dryers. Has a sitting room with large tv.