• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC online web site booking system

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Is there any way I can access the Disney online booking system to see how it looks and how it works and how easy it is to book resort holidays.

I have been miss sold a HGVC membership and I want to check that the same issues with them is not then the same issues at Disney.

Thanks

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No. You need an owner number to log in to look around. I used to own DVC, so maybe I can answer any specific questions, but sold mine and can't log in to look around anymore. I actually like HGVC a lot more than DVC.

The rooms would all be sold out for Christmas at this point. I saw you were interested in that in your other thread. You would not be able to book Halloween for next year if you owned DVC at this time. As an owner, you can book your home resort 11 months out and any other DVC resort 7 months out.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any way I can access the Disney online booking system to see how it looks and how it works and how easy it is to book resort holidays.

with DVC, if you are booking at your home resort at 11 months out, you will rarely have any issues (the only problems would be if you are counting on booking certain room types that are very limited in number - like AKV-club level rooms, AKV-value rooms. sometimes also cheaper (very high demand) and pretty-limited-in-number accommodations like BLT-standard rooms and BWV-standard rooms.)

if you wait till 4 months out, you would be lucky to get a room at SSR (the DVC resort with the most rooms and no park access besides buses) during relatively busy times of the year like autumn.

Last edited:

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I have been miss sold a HGVC membership and I want to check that the same issues with them is not then the same issues at Disney.

Thanks
What is the context of this question?

Are you considering buying DVC?

Or are you still looking to exchange into DVC via RCI using your HGVC points?

Either way, access to the DVC booking system would do you no good. As a prospective DVC purchaser, you will find little or no DVC availability for 2014 from Thanksgiving week through New Years. Those reservations were booked months ago.

If you are interested in exchanging into DVC, looking at the booking system would be useless because the DVC points inventory is completely different from the RCI availability, and also from Disney's cash rental inventory.

If you are looking at 2015, there will be no inventory shown because the holiday season booking windows don't open for another 4 months or so.

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score

Either way, access to the DVC booking system would do you no good. As a prospective DVC purchaser, you will find little or no DVC availability for 2014 from Thanksgiving week through New Years. Those reservations were booked months ago.

If you are interested in exchanging into DVC, looking at the booking system would be useless because the DVC points inventory is completely different from the RCI availability, and also from Disney's cash rental inventory.

If you are looking at 2015, there will be no inventory shown because the holiday season booking windows don't open for another 4 months or so.

It was more to see how if my home resort was saratoga springs what booking availability there would be?

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. You need an owner number to log in to look around. I used to own DVC, so maybe I can answer any specific questions, but sold mine and can't log in to look around anymore. I actually like HGVC a lot more than DVC.

The rooms would all be sold out for Christmas at this point. I saw you were interested in that in your other thread. You would not be able to book Halloween for next year if you owned DVC at this time. As an owner, you can book your home resort 11 months out and any other DVC resort 7 months out.

Ok thanks, if all I wanted to book was normal disney accommodation would you recommend resale as opposed to direct purchase, I know on resale you loose the abilitto hook certain types of disney vacations but I am not looking at those.

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry forgot to also mention, if my main goal is disney vacations am I better off with DVC the HGVC, the reason I brought HGVC was because they told me I could book disney easily and instead of only owning it for a set number of years that DVC offer with HGVC I would have it for life.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Sorry forgot to also mention, if my main goal is disney vacations am I better off with DVC the HGVC, the reason I brought HGVC was because they told me I could book disney easily and instead of only owning it for a set number of years that DVC offer with HGVC I would have it for life.

From How does DVC work in a nutshell?(2013)- http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200973

Also what benefits are there to purchase into DVC as opposed to purchasing HGVC and exchanging to DVC via RCI?
I am looking to purchase a timeshare at resale and not sure whether HGVC or DVC is the way to go....
Thank you!!

There are lots of DVC deposits in both RCI Weeks and RCI Points. It's currently not hard to exchange into the DVC Resorts via RCI but the rules can change at anytime. RCI exchange fee will continue to rise (currently $199) and DVC resort fee (currently $95) may also rise.

There have been DVC deposits in RCI for all of the WDW resorts (including Bay Lake), Vero Beach, Hilton Head and Disneyland's Grand Californian.
NOTE: Aulani deposits haven't been sighted yet.
TUG Members can search the TUG Sightings Forum for DVC sightings - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

However if you have your heart set on a specific DVC resort/room category and/or if you're extremely limited in your travel dates, it's best to buy DVC to have the flexibility to book exactly what you want.
NOTE: DVC provides a lot of flexibility. With DVC you can stay any number of nights and check-in any day of the week. You can also bank and borrow DVC points to go every two or three years.

Keep in mind that there is more RCI availability at DisneyWorld at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR) and Disney's Old Key West (OKW) simply because these are the two largest DVC resorts. In addition, the Grand Californian at Disneyland is the smallest DVC Resort with least amount of available rooms (23 Dedicated 2BR villas, 23 Lockoffs and 2 Grand Villas for a total of 48 villas). So I won't expect to see a lot of RCI availability at the Grand Californian

Number of villas at each DVC Resort - http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=43063852 (see post #3)

Because of the high demand, you will not see DVC resorts available online in RCI for long. These are booked within minutes especially the two bedrooms & rare three bedrooms. So it's best to place an Ongoing Search Request with RCI to snag these units as soon as they become available. What's available online are the leftovers after all ongoing search request have been satisfied.
NOTE: Ongoing Searches only apply to RCI Weeks inventory. A manual search is required for DVC deposits in RCI Points inventory.

Additional Information
DVC Point Charts for each resort - http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43063935&postcount=8
DVC Historical MF per point for each resort - http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43063839&postcount=2
Best source for questions about buying - http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Current DVC Pricing & Promotions - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions
FAQ for DVC beginners - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/buying-dvc/dvc-for-beginners
Largest DVC Resale Agent - http://www.dvc-resales.com/dvclisting.cfm

Dedicated DVC forums
Disboards - http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Mouseowners - http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/
DVC News - http://dvcnews.com/forum/forum.php

Last edited:

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
You own HGVC -- apparently purchased direct from the developer in Las Vegas. If I understand your numerous posts on various forums correctly, you are past your rescission period on the HGVC purchase -- so you BOUGHT it, it is yours, and you need to make the best of it.

Whether it was the best decision you've ever made, or the worst, it is now your timeshare.

You need to learn how to use the timeshare you already own. The WORST mistake you could possibly make is buying another timeshare -- that you obviously don't understand any better than you understand HGVC -- before you experience what you have already bought.

Focus on what you own, and let other options wait until you decide whether to keep HGVC or not.

If you financed, or if you cannot absorb a substantial loss selling, you have no choice but to make the best of the existing reality.

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
You own HGVC -- apparently purchased direct from the developer in Las Vegas. If I understand your numerous posts on various forums correctly, you are past your rescission period on the HGVC purchase -- so you BOUGHT it, it is yours, and you need to make the best of it.

Whether it was the best decision you've ever made, or the worst, it is now your timeshare.

You need to learn how to use the timeshare you already own. The WORST mistake you could possibly make is buying another timeshare -- that you obviously don't understand any better than you understand HGVC -- before you experience what you have already bought.

Focus on what you own, and let other options wait until you decide whether to keep HGVC or not.

If you financed, or if you cannot absorb a substantial loss selling, you have no choice but to make the best of the existing reality.

At this stage we are in legal discussions as to the purchase.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to stay in DVC, buy at the resort that is most important to you in the DVC program. Your contract will expire in 50 years or less. How old will you be in 50 years? Will you want to be paying $2K - $3K/year in MFs at that point in your life? The expire date means nothing to most people. Unless you are 18 now and really truly plan on visiting Disney every year, even when you are 68.

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have owned DVC since 1993 and still have problems reserving under 7 months. We were looking for a week in October recently and the only week-long availability was at Aulani. Nice digs, but we've been there four times and were looking for WDW.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked right now none of the resorts has more than one or two days available between Christmas and new years. Its a high demand time. For Christmas you would have to book at your 11 to 8 month window at your home resort.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked right now none of the resorts has more than one or two days available between Christmas and new years. Its a high demand time. For Christmas you would have to book at your 11 to 8 month window at your home resort.

Thanks.

Ok thanks but if I had DVC and my home resort was saratoga springs I would 100 percent get a room for two weeks if I booked 11 months out?

Can you book two week slots at the same time or do you have to book one week then hope for a second week?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Ok thanks but if I had DVC and my home resort was saratoga springs I would 100 percent get a room for two weeks if I booked 11 months out?

Can you book two week slots at the same time or do you have to book one week then hope for a second week?
that I cant answer since I own at the Grand Californian and up until a month or two ago I couldnt see saratoga at 11 months out. but it is a large resort so very likely. if not you could waitlist. perhaps an SSR owner could tell you for sure what past years have been like. I believe you can book a max of two weeks at a time if you owned enough points.

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
that I cant answer since I own at the Grand Californian and up until a month or two ago I couldnt see saratoga at 11 months out. but it is a large resort so very likely. if not you could waitlist. perhaps an SSR owner could tell you for sure what past years have been like. I believe you can book a max of two weeks at a time if you owned enough points.

OK thanks.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Yes, I actually looked this year (SSR owner) and I saw availability at SSR.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Actually you can only book one week at a time at the 11 month mark. You have to wait till the start of the first day of the second week to book. If you need more info on dvc I highly recommend www.mouseowners.com/forums

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually you can only book one week at a time at the 11 month mark. You have to wait till the start of the first day of the second week to book. If you need more info on dvc I highly recommend www.mouseowners.com/forums
Yikes didnt know that. :/ that kinda sucks. Can they merge the two reservations so we wouldn't have to check out?

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes didnt know that. :/ that kinda sucks. Can they merge the two reservations so we wouldn't have to check out?
Yes. The first trick is to get the two reservations perfectly. Then, you just call DVC MS and ask them to "link" the reservations. You will get the normal mid-week trash & towel service, and a full cleaning at the end of the first week, then another trash and towel midweek.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the 7 month mark same rules apply?
With regard to the 7 night max reservation, yes.

If you're talking about linking reservations, it makes no difference when you made them.

Also, with linked reservations, they are still separate reservations so you could have DDP for one reservation and not for the second one. I think eating Disney food for 14 days would be "cruel and unusual punishment" anyway.

Last edited:

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this stage we are in legal discussions as to the purchase.
Good luck with that.

You might succeed, depending on how long you've had the contract. If you've only had it a couple of weeks, you may be okay. If you've had it a couple of months, I think any argument you would have would be pretty weak.

Hilton is very reputable and they might just let you out of the contract if you're unhappy. OTOH, they don't have the slimy salesperson problems Wyndham and some of the others have, so I doubt if they get many complaints of people saying they were misled.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Odds and ends

Jk1970-I own HGVC & DVC (SSR) so can provide a pretty good perspective. For context, we bought HGVC about 9 years back, primarily used it for HGVC resorts, then started using RCI to exchange into DVC 8 times & counting. Exchanging into DVC is easy if you plan ahead-DVC makes bulk deposits across multiple resorts into RCI right inside of 7 months, so you need to create multiple Ongoing Searches (OGS) on RCI.com in advance-I recommend one for BLT, one for VWL, one for Epcot resorts, one for AKL, one for SSR/OKW (note, you don't pay for an OGS in advance if you skip the payment step). All resorts are deposited at the same time, so a single search will most likely match to SSR/OKW & block additional matches. Multiple OGSes may match a MK or Epcot resort, probably will match AKL, & definitely will match SSR/OK, then you can release the holds you don't want. Keep in mind OGS are minimum room size so a studio OGS will still match a 1 Bdrm (DVC Studios rarely if ever are deposited in RCI & 2 Bdrms are extremely rare other than SSR/OKW). You'll also want to join TUG & monitor the Sightings DL since only RCI Weeks match an OGS & DVC makes both Points & Weeks deposits. As an HGVC member you have access to both Points + Weeks. The other benefrit of HGVC is it has a fixed exchange rate for a RCI Red Week (which DVC always are), e.g. 3400 HGVC points for a 1 Bdrm, 4800 for 2 bdrm. Other timeshare have variable exchange rate based on TPUs, & a given DVC week could literally be any number of TPUs depending on supply & demand so you may or may not be able to get a DVC week for your exchange depending on the TPUs for the exchange whereas with HGVC you know exactly how many weeks of DVC you'll be able to get for your HGVC points, regardless of time of year or DVC resort.

As far as buying HGVC vs. DVC, HGVC is the much better value. HGVC points resale for $2/pt, so to exchange into a 1 bdrm at DVC would require 3400 HGVC pts annually which would conservatively cost $7K+ $800 MF. The same week would be 139-551 DVC points depending on time of year, resort, & room type. The cheapest DVC points resale for $40+, so even a 250 point purchase (average point cost in mid-season) would be $10K+$1,800 MF-so you are looking at least 50% higher purchase cost & over 100% more MF by buying the equivalent DVC than HGVC resale, which gets comparatively worse if you purchase more expensive resorts (e.g. SSR resales around $70/pt) or if you visit in higher-demand seasons (see my WDW point chart at http://1drv.ms/1wpoFk8). As far as booking availability on DVC-it is much better but you have to book at exactly 7 mos to get availability at non-Home resorts (just like you have to have a an OGS in RCI at 7 mos). Typically everything is available right at 7 mos, but AKL Concierge. AKL Value go fast, as do pretty much all MK and Epcot resorts. SSR/OKW will always be available at 7 months with the possible exception of week after Christmas.

I know what you are thinking though-while a HGVC resale is a better value than DVC resale, you bought HGVC retail & for what you paid (probably closer to $4/pt) you could have bought the equivalent DVC resale. This is probably true, but having been into the same boat (we bought HGVC retail, then DVC resale) a few things to keep in mind 1) that ship has sailed-sure you could try to get out of it but legal fees would quickly outweigh the net benefit-if any, & you explicitly signed a document saying they are not liable for any verbal misrepresentations 2) the savings of using HGVC to exchange into RCI annually vs. paying Disney to rent the same accommodations will quickly pay for your entire HGVC purchase (ours already has), 3) if you use the bonus points you got to purchase HGVC to exchange into DVC, you are effectively reducing the cost of your HGVC purchase by that value, putting you back in the $2 resale range after consuming that value (keep in mind you can use the bonus points for 2 years from purchase, then can deposit them into RCI for another 2 years). Considering 3, we actually made the choice to purchase another HGVC direct for the bonus points & to build to Elite so we can get free HGVC room size upgrades which increases the value of direct points vs resale points which once you've stripped them of the bonus points is about the same. This doesn't apply to everyone if you don't plan on eventually needing/purchasing enough HGVC points to get to Elite, but for us it makes sense to buy direct multiple times, getting bonus points each time we will use to exchange into DVC in the near term, then get to the level of points where we get free room upgrades & no reservation fees, which will coincide with when we are no longer going to DVC & will use our HGVC points to stay at HGVC resorts.

OK, so if HGVC is such a great value, then why did we buy DVC? So, a variety of reasons here: 1) DVC only deposits 7-night stays into RCI (regardless of Points or Weeks)-so by buying DVC direct you can book extra nights with DVC & add-on to a RCI exchange (even stay in the same room) or stay fewer than 7 nights & 2) discount APs are a significant savings for DVC members & save a ton of money if you make 2 or more visits per year, 3) With DVC or AP, you can buy TIW, which is a significant savings over DDP IME. You can purchase a minimum contract of 100 points resale & easily recoup the cost with these savings in a few years, & have enough points per year to add 1-2 nights per stay.

Last edited: