• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Food costs in spain

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are leaving for Spain in a week and a half. Our hotels, car rental, flights are all prepaid - mostly through points. We will be there for 15 days. We do not know how much cash to take. I am assuming that restaurants in the cities take cc but what about small towns? How much should we expect to spend on meals?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We spent two weeks along the southern Coast in July. I can't think of any place that didn't take credit cards. Overall, we found the costs low. You can make a meal at a tapas bar. With every drink, they serve a free tapas. Of course, this depends on how much you can drink and how long you plan to sit. ;)

Are you just talking restaurants or do you plan to grocery shop? Produce and breads were very inexpensive and pretty much any bottle of wine was around 2 euros at the market.

Deb

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will not cook while we are there except for breakfast maybe. We will be in Barcelona, Granada and Madrid in hotels for 50% of the time. A total of 15 nights, the the balance is in Marbella at MVCI. They sent me a 4 page list of local restaurants. Were the ones you went to pricey? We love tapas but while we are off the beaten path we will need cash.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We rented a house in Almunecar which is on the coast east of Malaga. We visited many of the small towns and it was not expensive. We had a group of 10-12 people eating full meals with drinks and wine. I'm looking at the credit card statement and see restaurant bills running from $150 - $270. IIRC, many entrees were in the $10 euro range. I think our $270 dinner was pretty fancy.

You will find Madrid and Barcelona a bit more pricey but overall, we were pleased with the reasonable costs. It is nothing like a trip to the UK where cheeseburgers cost $10. ;)

Deb

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We generally don't eat too high on the hog when traveling, and our lunches around Barcelona were in the $15pp range and dinners with a glass of house wine ran $35ishpp. Don't take a lot of cash, there are banks with ATMs everywhere so you can pick up some Euros as needed. I had trouble with 2 restaurants in Barcelona wanting to pre-convert my bill to dollars under the pretext of my not having a chip card. That's just a scam. Pay with cash in Euros and don't go back there.

Jim

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We buy the Zagat guide for major cities and find we do well by looking through the recomendations. I'm also a fan of checking out Trip Advisor's restaurant lists for places we're going. If you go to the travel forum for a specific city, you'll find a link for restaurants/hotels/sights/etc., as well as lots of information on the forum itself.