• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Glacier national park

rachel1998

Reaction score
We want to go to the park next year by train. Which is the best lodge to try and reserve there? Do you think it is possible to get a timeshare there in Sept. 2015?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Talk to Timeshare Von about train trips to Glacier. She did it a few years ago.

There are a number of timeshares in the Glacier area, but you'll need a car to get around the area, in and out of the park, and to enjoy things properly. Planning ahead can save you a bundle.

As for September 2015, I'd think you could easily get a reservation at one of the area timeshares. But try and book early September, not late September. The Summer season there is pretty short, and bad weather can change things very quickly. The later in the year you go, the less you'll be able to see.

The park is a very large area, and crosses over the Continental Divide. All of the lodges are nice, some more rustic than others. On the west side, the Lake McDonald Lodge is nice, and is the only lodge on that side of the park. On the East side, there are a couple of choices, either one of which is nice, maybe nicer than Lake McDonald Lodge - but they're on the "other" side of the park. Just be prepared to drive around a fair bit to see everything easily.

If you're a train buff, check out the Isaak Walton Inn, in Essex, Montana. It's adjacent to the park, and is a train lover's dream.

Enjoy yourself. It's a beautiful area.

Dave

Last edited:

rachel1998

Reaction score
Is there a hotel that the train stops closest to? I'm pretty sure we could stay in stay outside the park but I was trying to avoid renting a car. It looks like to see the area you really need a car

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glacier Park Lodge is across the street from the train depot and you could take Red Bus
Tours to see the area. Make sure you try to get out to the Many Glacier area of the park, this was a favorite part of the park for us. We prefer having our own car and touring on our own that way we are not on someone elses schedule. Glacier is a beautiful area, enjoy and have a great trip.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be far better off with a rental car. It's a pretty expansive park and takes quite some travel time to see it all. As was mentioned, it's nice to be able to see things on your own schedule. Furthermore, there are other beautiful spots in the area that would require a car to visit.

Largest timeshare complex in the area is MeadowLake in Columbia Falls. There are others that are primarily ski oriented in Whitefish, which is a further drive to Glacier.

September should be an ideal time to visit. As Dave said, early Sept would be better than late.

rachel1998

Reaction score
Reservations

Do you think it would be wise to book one of the lodges now for next year and hope I can get a timeshare? I can always cancel the reservation

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think it would be wise to book one of the lodges now for next year and hope I can get a timeshare? I can always cancel the reservation

Last year I booked a room one year in advance at the edge of the Grand Canyon, then canceled about six months later when I discovered low cost air fares to Hawaii.

At Old Faithful lodge in Yellowstone, I twice booked one year in advance and canceled once.

You don't know how long the room you want will be available.

rachel1998

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I can always cancel. I was thinking of the last week of August or first week of September after Labor Day.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Glacier Suggestion

If you are a hiker, consider staying a night or two at the Sperry Chalet. It's @ an 8 mile hike to get there with an elevation gain of 3000 ft. Meals are included and accommodations are rustic w/o inside toilets.

My DH's aunt ran the Sperry Chalet til she was in her 70s, followed by her son and daughter. His uncle is a key park service player in the non-fiction, "Night of the Grizzly" about two campers killed by one in the mid-60s. Scary read, but it's likely out of print.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
are you taking the Amtrak that goes through Wisconsin Dells? We have always wanted to try it.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a hiker, consider staying a night or two at the Sperry Chalet. It's @ an 8 mile hike to get there with an elevation gain of 3000 ft. Meals are included and accommodations are rustic w/o inside toilets.

My DH's aunt ran the Sperry Chalet til she was in her 70s, followed by her son and daughter. His uncle is a key park service player in the non-fiction, "Night of the Grizzly" about two campers killed by one in the mid-60s. Scary read, but it's likely out of print.

There was a movie made of that book. Pretty good scary old movie.
We were hiking in Glacier many years ago and a bunch of hikers came down a trail as we were hiking up (can't remember which trail now). They said a sow and cub had been separated on each side of the trail up ahead and they decided not to get between them. We continued on at a cautious pace along with others on the trail but never saw them.

But we're pretty careful in Grizzly country. Did a 7-day backpack in Yellowstone back in the 80s and I was always on the lookout for a good climbing tree, LOL. This after a friend of ours was treed by a grizzly there a number of years earlier.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Somehow I never saw this post until tonight, while researching for my upcoming weekend trip to Glacier NP.

Yes I did do the Amtrak Empire Builder from Milwaukee to Whitefish, MT back in March 2012. It was awesome. There are scheduled stops at both West and East Glacier, as well as a whistle stop at the Izaak Walton Inn near Glacier NP. I didn't stay there, but did have lunch one day . . . it is train themed and very cool. I would have stayed there had it been more convenient to the rest of that trip.

For my upcoming trip, my friend and I are staying at the Lake McDonald Lodge in one of the cabins. I think like many US National Park lodges, you need to book early.

For me, being in the park, or closer than the timeshares is a priority. It's sorta like Yellowstone. Yes, there are timeshares "in the area" but you'll be driving at least an hour to where you want to go, to start your time inside the park. If you are also planning to do a lot around the Whitefish area and not so much *inside* the park, you may be happy with the T/S accommodations you can book.

I want to do more than just a couple of days there, myself. So I'm thinking 2015 or 2016 will find me there for a longer immersion trip.

Wish I could have provided more info but I will say . . . I loved doing the Empire Builder. You should be aware, however, that Amtrak is using the BNSF rails and they have first priority. This past summer, routes in both directions have been seriously delayed. So much so, Amtrak did cut some days of service. My friend had a 4 hour delay out and 6 coming home back in June.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Somehow I never saw this post until tonight, while researching for my upcoming weekend trip to Glacier NP.

Yes I did do the Amtrak Empire Builder from Milwaukee to Whitefish, MT back in March 2012. It was awesome. There are scheduled stops at both West and East Glacier, as well as a whistle stop at the Izaak Walton Inn near Glacier NP. I didn't stay there, but did have lunch one day . . . it is train themed and very cool. I would have stayed there had it been more convenient to the rest of that trip.

For my upcoming trip, my friend and I are staying at the Lake McDonald Lodge in one of the cabins. I think like many US National Park lodges, you need to book early.

For me, being in the park, or closer than the timeshares is a priority. It's sorta like Yellowstone. Yes, there are timeshares "in the area" but you'll be driving at least an hour to where you want to go, to start your time inside the park. If you are also planning to do a lot around the Whitefish area and not so much *inside* the park, you may be happy with the T/S accommodations you can book.

I want to do more than just a couple of days there, myself. So I'm thinking 2015 or 2016 will find me there for a longer immersion trip.

Wish I could have provided more info but I will say . . . I loved doing the Empire Builder. You should be aware, however, that Amtrak is using the BNSF rails and they have first priority. This past summer, routes in both directions have been seriously delayed. So much so, Amtrak did cut some days of service. My friend had a 4 hour delay out and 6 coming home back in June.

how did you get around since you took the train? seriously thinking about this trip

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
how did you get around since you took the train? seriously thinking about this trip

There is a rental car place right at the station in Whitefish. It was outrageously priced there however. I used my hotel free shuttle to pick me up at the Amtrak station (evening arrival) and then take me to the Kalispell Airport the next morning to pick up a car out there (half the price!).

The Best Western had free Amtrak & airport shuttle service. When it was time to leave, Alamo let me leave the car at the train station with the keys locked inside. They came to pick up the car later in the day since my train departure time was before 8am.

All in all, it was easy peasy.

rachel1998

Reaction score
I decided I'm going to book glacier park lodge. It looks really nice on their website. I see that amtrak stops right there. They have the tours that leave from the lodge. If we want we can always rent a car one day. I'm aware of the delays they have had with the train. We have traveled by train many times. One time we were 12 hours late because of a tunnel fire. You have to be patient. It was all night so I just slept. I'm figuring 4 days there, is that enough?

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
<<snipped>> I'm figuring 4 days there, is that enough?

Wish I knew. I only did a short "drive in" back in March 2012, since it wasn't open beyond the closed Lake McDonald Lodge. My trip coming up this weekend is for what will be 2.5 days at the park.

I'm thinking in the future, I may want to do 3-5 full days, but until I do this coming weekend trip, I don't know what is "enough."

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided I'm going to book glacier park lodge.

I'm figuring 4 days there, is that enough?

We spent 7 days in the area. I allowed plenty of time incase of rain. We did get a full day of rain at Many Glacier Lodge. We spent a lot of time sitting around the central fireplace talking to people.

The Glacier Park Lodge, indian's called it Big Tree Lodge, is nice and there is also a small town with a few restaurants. Without a car, four days might be enough. A big attraction is "Going to the sun road" which you can do in an open bus tour or rent a car.

We prefer Many Glacier Lodge for the atmosphere up in the mountains, but you would definitely want to rent a car if you stayed there.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember our trip (back in 1971) and it rained all the time, it was june.

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Something to keep in mind, although this won't be problem based on your sept booking, is that Going to the Sun Road wasn't fully open to vehicles until July 2 this year because of snow. It was closed from Avalanche to St Mary's which is pretty much all the scenic elevations. So in general I wouldn't book anything before say July 10 to be on the safe side.

Greg

rachel1998

Reaction score
I changed my dates and booked August 24th for 4 nights. Labor Day next year is later so I chose this date instead. Is there a way to get to whitefish without renting a car?