• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sick to my stomach!!! Feel taken!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am a newbie too. IS that all we can do ... just hanging on? sucked in the pain? I dont fully understand what you guys are talking about nor why you guys ahve 3 or 4 resorts up your sleeves.

Nah - we only talk about this when newbies start a thread like this. Most threads are about our travels, and how to get the most out of our timeshares.

Some people own 3 or 4 timeshares because they travel a lot, and some people rent them.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie too. IS that all we can do ... just hanging on? sucked in the pain? I dont fully understand what you guys are talking about nor why you guys ahve 3 or 4 resorts up your sleeves.

I think i'll phrase it this way...

Whether we got a great deal or a bad deal, we are learning from each other how to get the most enjoyment from our timeshares.

No matter how the deal, the product is a satisfying way to stay on one's travels.

I'm already planning to buy some more, in a couple of years...

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG,

If it makes you feel better, you may have received a better deal than we did, you certainly ended up way more bonus points than the 10K we received..

We did not plan to buy either, but really like the program after the presentation... I still love the HGVC program, just not thrilled by the 29K for 5000 annual points... But now i can look back and can honestly say the two HGVC timeshare vacations have been some our best trips..

I don't know how :ponder:, well I do but we were sucked in :bawl: not once but twice!! :eek:

Once in 2010 and then again in 2013. I didn't even remember the first go around but as I said, we got sucked in again. :shrug:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127290

We were looking at buying an interest @ KL. 10,500 pts, 2BR every even year w/ 24k bonus points. cost is appx 25k, maint 1,500 every other year

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194117

We started out much higher but they wore us down and we ended up with this one...

Bay Club
it was appx $13,000 for 4800 pts EOY
Maint fees were appx $1,100 incl membership EOY, and $125 member fee EOY
Bonus pts of 14,400

We were also told some of the same *lies*...

They also mentioned that Hilton was considering no longer offering benefits such as resale buyers NOT being able to enjoy membership benefits, etc.

Also you could upgrade in the future as a direct owner and that maint fees would not go up vs buying multiple resale properties you would be saddled with multiple maint fees.

Really liked the cash price benefit of the membership, which seemed may not be available if you dont buy direct ??​

Luckily, TUG was there for us both times!! :banana: which reminds me, I will be upgrading to member status as a way of saying thank you to all who have helped us along the way, in all seriousness, many thanks everyone.

:clap: :cheer: :clap: :cheer: :clap:

Last edited:

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lesson here is you should not spend thousands of dollars without knowing what you are doing. I was guilty of this. People feel cheated, however, the courts have ruled against them when they brought lawsuits. The value of a timeshare is what one get's out of it. The resale market doesn't always reflect this. The developers have a great story, with numbers to back this up. They are not obligated to educate the customer on the resale market. With just a simple google search you can find TUG. Spend a few days reading and save yourself a lot of money and heartache. If you find TUG afterwards just consider your money spent the cost of your education.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I figured that was a good idea. But I cannot find out how. Can a Mod give me some guidance?

Love the new user name! Hope you stick around and participate in TUG. This is a great community and I have learned 95% of what I know about timesharing from this site. It is great!

Kurt

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I am a newbie too. IS that all we can do ... just hanging on? sucked in the pain? ....

No, that's not all you can do. Just like any other financial decision, you have choices.

You can quit paying on your timeshare and it will eventually get taken back by the HOA.

Of course you will suffer the consequences of a move like this in the way of a hit against your credit, higher interest rates when you do get credit and all the hounding you will go through from them trying to collect.

It's still another option.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful. Once you learn about what you can do with timeshares to change your vacations you might start collecting them too! I came here to learn about hgvc. I ended with Marriott. DVC and world mark.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Be careful. Once you learn about what you can do with timeshares to change your vacations you might start collecting them too! I came here to learn about hgvc. I ended with Marriott. DVC and world mark.

LOL, this is so true.

Especially when you start reading the other forums and seeing what's available on the sightings forum then the wheels start turning on how to get access to those resorts :rofl:

So far, I've manage to wean myself off of ebay (I still peek from time to time :eek:) and I've manage to resist the urge to buy Marriott ;) (especially when three bedrooms villas pop up occasionally on the sightings forum under Interval International's priority preference for Marriott owners :bawl:)

Reaction score
We must had the same guy. He is very smooth. He told us that he used to sell for Marriott at Ko Olina, and started by trashing the DC program.

That sounds exactly what I experienced!

I do plan on sticking around! There seems to be a great group here!

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
We must had the same guy. He is very smooth. He told us that he used to sell for Marriott at Ko Olina, and started by trashing the DC program.
That sounds like the guy I saw when we did an owner update at the Grand Waikikian in December with the DW. Said he used to work for Marriott before they changed to the new points system and bad mouthed it quite a bit. Badmouthed HGVC affiliates including the Bay Club also. Stated the usual BS about affiliates losing HGVC benefits etc. With me owning 3 resale TS's, he knew he wasn't going to make a sale and was in a bad mood: glad I made his day. :D

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am a newbie too. IS that all we can do ... just hanging on sucked in the pain? I dont fully understand what you guys are talking about nor why you guys ahve 3 or 4 resorts up your sleeves.
That's not what Denise said. What she said was "your best bet it to hang out with us, and learn how to get the most enjoyment out of what you own", not hang on and suck up the pain. Follow the threads, current & past, and learn to make the best of what you have or learn how to improve it.

I may not like the 3 Maintenance Fees that I have to pay, but I sure luv the trips that we get to make. We get to go to Hawaii for 3 or 4 weeks every year, stay in a nice 1 & 2 Bdrm condos on the beach (HGVC, Marriott, or Westin), with a full kitchen and washer/dryers, for a lot less than renting a hotel room or studio would cost, plus we save a ton of money on food by not eating out 3 times a day. So I'm not hanging on, I'm looking forward to a week at the Marriott Ko'olina on Oahu (2-Bdrm) and a week at the Marriott Waiohia (2-Bdrm) on Kauai. Since I secured both weeks by locking-off my Marriott 2-Bedroom, I'm getting 2 weeks for the price of one yearly MF, about $1,200. :banana: I used some of my RCI Points to get a 2-Bdrm TS at the Jockey Club, next to the Bellagio, over New Years, which is only costing me about $400 in MF's for the whole week: there's people paying that or more for 1 nite at hotels on the strip. I learned which TS's to purchase and how to use them from reading and following TUG. So don't hang-on & suck up the pain, start having fun.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the guy I saw when we did an owner update at the Grand Waikikian in December with the DW. Said he used to work for Marriott before they changed to the new points system and bad mouthed it quite a bit. Badmouthed HGVC affiliates including the Bay Club also. Stated the usual BS about affiliates losing HGVC benefits etc. With me owning 3 resale TS's, he knew he wasn't going to make a sale and was in a bad mood: glad I made his day. :D

Yes Grand Waikikian is the place. We met him there in May :)

Reaction score
Yes Grand Waikikian is the place. We met him there in May :)

That's him. I must stop thinking about it, blood is reaching 212 again ;)

I think things will be better once I get it paid off and don't think about it.

Were going to Parc Solei next week for 5 days. Thinking about that :)

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's him. I must stop thinking about it, blood is reaching 212 again ;)

I think things will be better once I get it paid off and don't think about it.

Were going to Parc Solei next week for 5 days. Thinking about that :)

On suggestion: if you are taking Hilton's financing for this purchase, you may want to look into taking a home equity line to pay it off. The interest rate from Hilton or whoever they are using is astronomical.

Poolvixon

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm also a newbie...just bought this week. I was sort of happy with our purchase before I found this site!! We couldn't afford a lot so we got 1600 points for a studio in gold season and 4800 bonus points. We knew the points would not be enough but we thought as our situation changed we could upgrade.

But I am so confused!! Can I buy resale also? Would the points add together? Can I only get a studio with my 1600 points? Or I just use my 1600 on anything I want?

Please help me!! Lol!

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Everyone,

I'm also a newbie...just bought this week. I was sort of happy with our purchase before I found this site!! We couldn't afford a lot so we got 1600 points for a studio in gold season and 4800 bonus points. We knew the points would not be enough but we thought as our situation changed we could upgrade.

But I am so confused!! Can I buy resale also? Would the points add together? Can I only get a studio with my 1600 points? Or I just use my 1600 on anything I want?

Please help me!! Lol!
Check your contract ASAP. If your within the rescission period, follow the instructions immediately and to the letter. Buy resale.

If your out of the rescission period, Yes can can buy additional HGVC points on the resale market. They all get combined into your account. Take a look at some of the previous HGVC threads for some ideas, but currently the cheapest way to get more points would be purchasing a Vegas TS, one of the affiliates in SW Florida, or the Bay Club at Waikoloa in Hawaii. The cheapest place to purchase them would be on eBay.

Lol :confused:

Last edited:

Poolvixon

Reaction score
Thanks...I'm going to go look ASAP. We're still on vacation!

Buying resale has all the same access as buying direct from Hilton?? Does it really matter what size unit I buy? I just want as many points as I can get, right?

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poolvixen,
Glad you found us. I hope you have enough time to rescind. BTW, if they ask you to come in or call to cancel, don't do it. They will only try to break down your resolve. Follow the instructions in your packet.

Good luck!

Sue

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks...I'm going to go look ASAP. We're still on vacation!
If you just bought this week then RESCIND and RESEARCH.

Don't have a discussion with the sales office. They will only try to scare you away from Resale
See this old thread "Eight Reasons NOT to buy Resale" - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97652

Buying resale has all the same access as buying direct from Hilton??
Yes, the only thing you don't get is HGVC ELITE status but you have to buy at least 14,000 HGVC points to obtain the lowest status level.

Does it really matter what size unit I buy? I just want as many points as I can get, right?
In general no, but it really depends on where you want to go and your travel flexibility. Keep in mind that ongoing annual maintenance fees will vary by location. Don't rush into another purchase. Hang out here and spend some time learning about the system and other timeshare options as well.

Good luck and Welcome to TUG :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Poolvixen,
Glad you found us. I hope you have enough time to rescind. BTW, if they ask you to come in or call to cancel, don't do it. They will only try to break down your resolve. Follow the instructions in your packet.

Good luck!

Sue

You MUST send your rescind via written format - legally via Certified Mail & regular mail. It can be hand written - keep copies. Some post offices have coin copy machines; I would just go to Staples-like store to get copies. Today is SATURDAY --- do it today. Most states DO NOT EXCLUDE WEEKENDS OR HOLIDAYS from their number of days in counting RESCIND WINDOWS. USPS have fewer LONG HOURS anymore .... and almost NO SUNDAY hours. I live near Philadelphia - the main POST OFFICE used to have WINDOW SERVICE open 24/7; now it is ALWAYS closed by 11PM (might be earlier) and early on Saturdays. I believe it is closed totally on Sundays now. Email and FAX usually does NOT count.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did see that you are rescinding, which is the best choice for you at this point. 1600 points is a terrible amount and gets you nearly nothing at all in HGVC. It would get you whatever you bought, but using those points for Club reservations won't go far at all. Hilton has a sales model where they will sell you anything that you can afford, even if it is worthless because they plan on upselling you every time that you take a vacation.

If you added a resale contract to what you have (which would be horrible since you can still cancel your purchase) all your points would combine in one account. You would pay annual dues on both accounts. That's what we would suggest if you were too late to cancel the sale, but you aren't too late and you don't have to waste thousands of dollars on a worthless contract. :banana:

You can cancel your sale and buy a resale contract that will give you a week in a one bedroom or a week in a 2 bedroom for around what you paid. I have no idea what they are selling studios for, but you can plan on doubling or tripling your points by buying resale. Look on the reseller sites to see what things are listed for and remember that they often sell below listing price. Look also at Ebay pricing. There are some really bad sellers on Ebay, so don't start bidding until you research the seller and the closing company.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Hi Everyone,

Please help me!! Lol!

If you are within the rescission period but thinking of holding onto your 1600 points and buying resale to compliment please reconsider.

Yes you could buy another resale BUT you would then have two maintenance fees. Your best bet is to rescind and buy enough resale points in one deed that works for you.

weavershome

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are within the rescission period but thinking of holding onto your 1600 points and buying resale to compliment please reconsider.

Yes you could buy another resale BUT you would then have two maintenance fees. Your best bet is to rescind and buy enough resale points in one deed that works for you.

Rescind. Rescind. Rescind.

You will be relieved and get much more bang for you buck in the resale market.

We listened to 3 separate presentations at HGVC and they all bad mouthed buying resale. Even told us we that Hilton would not allow the sale, lied about hgvc privileges claiming we would not get some of them if we bought resale, etc.
It simply isn't true.

Long story short, rescind immediately and take your time researching resale. As many said, ebay is the cheapest but I was more comfortable with an agency which I am told may be a little more. The truth is, either of these options will get you a ton more points for allot less money. Enjoy your vacation but take a quick break to rescind :).....that way you will be able to go back at a huge value. The hgvc people are good at scaring you so steer clear. Good luck.