• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elegant Restaurant on Big Island To Top Off Vacation?

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an elegant, upscale restaurant for a nice finish to a week on the Big Island? I'd like it to be somewhere with a nice view, but also great food with decent-sized portions.

So many of the 'expensive' restaurants with a vew serve just 'ok' food and petite portions... in this economy, if I am going to pay for it... I want my money's worth.

Also... any nice lounges to have a drink and dance that is not '20 or 30 something'? Yes, I'm getting old to ask that question! :bawl:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Any suggestions for an elegant, upscale restaurant for a nice finish to a week on the Big Island? I'd like it to be somewhere with a nice view, but also great food with decent-sized portions.

So many of the 'expensive' restaurants with a view serve just 'ok' food and petite portions... in this economy, if I am going to pay for it... I want my money's worth.

Also... any nice lounges to have a drink and dance that is not '20 or 30 something'? Yes, I'm getting old to ask that question! :bawl:

Check out the Blue Dragon in Kawaihae. No views but great food and entertainment. Web site will have the calendar of music and a biography of the artist. www.bluedragonhawaii.com

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which side of the island will you be on?

Kona Coast Resort... but I'm willing to drive North if necessary. It would probably be on Friday as we will be leaving the next day. I always like to top off the week with a wonderful dinner.... we eat 'cheap' through the week. :whoopie:

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
Maybe things have changed or perhaps we were not savy enough, but when we visited the BI several years ago, there did not appear to be anything close to an "elegant" restaurant.

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really enjoyed the golf course restaurant that is in the developlment area that you drive through to get to the Bay Club, in fact just down the road from the Bay Club. Nice golf course views and the menu was tapas style at the time, but the food was very good and we had plenty to eat. And room for dessert.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Maybe things have changed or perhaps we were not savy enough, but when we visited the BI several years ago, there did not appear to be anything close to an "elegant" restaurant.

Brown's Beach House is an elegant restaurant with a fabulous ocean setting, really good food and a high price to match. It might be the perfect way to end your vacation.
Here is the link: http://www.fairmont.com/orchid/GuestServices/Restaurants/BrownsBeachHouse.htm

You can read the reviews and make reservations online via opentable.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roys in Waikoloa Beach area has good food. Maybe do the luau called Kings (something) at the Mauni Lea (I think) really good food and wonderful show and great ocean setting. We ate at Huggos and it had a good view, but the service wasn't good, the food was overpriced and not large portions.
Liz

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have limited experience with fine dining on the Big Island, but by far the most elegant we tried was the Kamuela Provisioin Company at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. We had a brilliant sunset view, and the food was superb. It was not cheap, but we thought the experience was worth it. There are some more fine dining restaurants ther that may be even more, Imari and Kirin, if you like Japanese and Chinese. The loked nice on the outside, can't give a review. Some of the other nice hotels may have some comparable, but I suspect we will return to KPC next time out.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did want to second Blue Dragon. We ate there and chose to go on a night with Hawaiian slack guitar. They have different people playing different music and you can check all that on line. It was great food and service and a very memorable evening. We went on the recommendation from Tuggers Lynn and Ken who live on Hawaii and it was primarily a local scene.
Liz

rmb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have limited experience with fine dining on the Big Island, but by far the most elegant we tried was the Kamuela Provisioin Company at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. We had a brilliant sunset view, and the food was superb. It was not cheap, but we thought the experience was worth it. There are some more fine dining restaurants ther that may be even more, Imari and Kirin, if you like Japanese and Chinese. The loked nice on the outside, can't give a review. Some of the other nice hotels may have some comparable, but I suspect we will return to KPC next time out.

I absolutely would love a great Japanese restaurant... two of my favorites:

Kaua'i: Kintaro (Kapaa)
Maua'i: Sansei (Kapalua)

Anything comparable to these two would be PERFECT! Suggestions?

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
The legendary “Don the Beachcomber”
Set right on the water’s edge with impressive ocean and sunset views, diners will enjoy the Polynesian retro-tiki chic atmosphere, flavorful award-winning cuisine and legendary original Mai Tais at Don the Beachcomber Restaurant and Don’s Mai Tai Bar.
http://www.hawaiihotels.com/Main/Sub.cfm?ID=202&Ref=RKR

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I said, I haven't tried it, but the menu for Imari is on the HWV website. It seems fairly consistent with other Japanese restaurants. Since I've never found bad food at a Japanese Restaurant, I would go there were I in the mood. You can visit it to get an idea of ambience before reserving I suppose.
The Waikoloa area is interesting enough to be worth the trip. Odds are that what you are looking for will be found up there.

Apologies for the typo filled first post.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Okay, I know my post is too late, but we just got back from two weeks on the Big Island and I wanted to add my two cents. ;)

We celebrated our dd's 21st birthday at the Pahu i`a, which is located at the Four Seasons (just north of the airport). It was incredible. The restaurant sits almost right on the beach. The service and the food were wonderful. Pricey, but worth it for a special occasion. I had specifically asked for a table with a view.

We've also eaten in previous visits at Browns and the Canoe House.

I haven't been to the Blue Dargon, I think it might new since our last trip. However, we tend to like Cafe Pesto, which is in the same area.

We've also eaten at the Kamuela Provision Company at the Hilton and weren't blown away. Maybe if we'd had a table with a better view we would have been more impressed. The food was decent, but we haven't been back since the first time.

We ate at Roy's our last night. Good food, but the restaurant is VERY noisy and the only views are if you're by the windows looking out at the fake lagoon.

Hawaii123

Reaction score
Kona Village Restaurant

Right on the water, wonderful food & desserts. Pricey, but well worth it.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jamison's By the Sea would be my choice. There are tables on the balcony, and they feed the eels for you to see.

Jan Handlers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would second Pahuia. It is always our "special occasion" restaurant. It is expensive but the view, service and food are terrific. I would rate The Canoe House a very close second. It has had several changes of chefs over the past several years, but on our last visit in May, it was fantastic. It also has an elegant feel and beautiful setting on the beach. Brown's Beach House is also great. The only problem is that they sometimes have private parties on the beach across the lagoon from the restaurant. This takes away from the setting. We have never thought that KPC (Kamuela Provision Company) has been that great. Ruth's Chris at the Mauna Lani has consistently great food and service, but there is no view.

Enjoy!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Ruth's Chris at the Mauna Lani has consistently great food and service, but there is no view.

We love Ruths' Chris, but have one near us at home. So we prefer to eat places that we can't get to elsewhere. :D

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big Island Restaurant

Two places we went to the last time we were there(2 years ago) Jamison's which is right on the water on Alii Drive, and the restaurant at the Sheraton at the end of Alii Drive. Also in Wailkoloa in the King and Queen Shops there are a few nice places as well.