• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need metal detector recommendation

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My husband is really hard to buy for, and his birthday is coming up, and I'm thinking that a metal detector might be fun.

I have done a little looking online and it appears that the cheap ones hardly even work. Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent entry level metal detector - maybe $300 or less, if that's possible?

Or if not possible to get a decent one for $300 or less, what do you recommend?

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this for the beach? Are you sure he is going to like it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is this for the beach? Are you sure he is going to like it?

Probably the mountains - not the beach. We only go to the beach in Hawaii, and wouldn't dream of trying to take a metal detector.

I have no idea if he will like it - he is hard to buy for. But I have read a lot of reviews about the cheap ones not working, and no one would like one that doesn't work.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that is a gift he is better off to buy himself (if he has the funds available) . If he does not like it not only will it be a waste of money but also he may feel obligated to use it to not offend you. That means he is wasting his time as well.

Maybe a Gopro or a drone would be better.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think that is a gift he is better off to buy himself (if he has the funds available) . If he does not like it not only will it be a waste of money but also he may feel obligated to use it to not offend you. That means he is wasting his time as well.

Maybe a Gopro or a drone would be better.

I second the GoPro suggestion. A Drone will be fun to have but I think a decent one costs a lot more than $300.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, but I am looking for suggestions for a metal detector.

He definitely would not be interested in a GoPro or Drone.

I'm not worried about wasting money, and we are very practical about gifts. If he isn't interested he can (and will) return it with no hard feelings.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you were going to ask about metal detectors for your home...as in scanning your guests! :D

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have an older Garet that I bought at Cabelas. Mine cost about $300 10 years ago. The features I like are the dectector is submersible so dropping it into the lake doesn't hurt it, it has a fairly good reach of about 8 inches on small items like silver coins and jewelery, a very good reach of maybe 4 - 6 ft on large objects and can get very close to the small stuff.

I haven't found a pot of gold but I have found a bunch of anchors, keys, knifes, silver coins, a little jewery, fishing gear, down rigger balls, boat props and a bunch of bottle caps. When you are learning, you end up digging up alot of garbage. Once you get the hang of it you will find some pretty good stuff.

The best thing I ever found were my keys in the snow.

Like anything, it does get boring after some time. I haven't used mine for a few years now and the last time was just to find property pins.

Bill

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
You certainly want to stay away from the cheap models (less than $150) as that would keep anyone from wanting to pursue the hobby.

My recommendation would be look at something like the Fisher F44. It is weatherproof and has a lot of features for one at that price point. The Friendly Metal Detecting Forum is a good resource. Here is a sample of the info you can find on that forum.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=221864

I have purchased from Big Boys Hobbies online and got a great price and service. Plus they throw in some decent items with the purchase.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea! In fact, I've often thought I'd like one for taking into the deserted mining towns around here--in the mountains or desert.

But sorry I don't have recommendations for you. Here's a review list which seems to link to a lot of Amazon reviews.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
iu

And awaaaaaaaay we go!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I am looking for a metal detector too. Could you give me a piece of advice, please ?

You have brought to life a 4 year old thread. I see you joined today and this is your first post, welcome to TUG. I have to ask this question - you joined a timeshare forum just to ask a metal detector question?

It has been about 7 years since I purchased a metal detector so I am not too familiar of the latest detectors. My suggestion is stick with brands such as Garrett or Fisher and you should be good. If you are interested in the hobby you should join a detecting forum, like the “Friendly Metal Detecting Forum”, where you can learn more about the different detectors. .

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
My suggestion is stick with brands such as Garrett or Fisher and you should be good. If you are interested in the hobby you should join a detecting forum, like the “Friendly Metal Detecting Forum”, where you can learn more about the different detectors. .

Ditto. You should also check out treasurenet dot com. A great open forum on detecting across the nation and plenty of good info on the tools.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
You have brought to life a 4 year old thread. I see you joined today and this is your first post, welcome to TUG. I have to ask this question - you joined a timeshare forum just to ask a metal detector question?
As suspected, after bringing this dead thread back to life the poster returned to post a spam link. His posts have been removed.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Yeah, I suspected that was going to be the case. Just in case I was wrong I tried to be “nice” with my question but I was thinking spammer typing it.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Reactions: RX8

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
@DeniseM since this thread was brought back to life, did you get your husband a metal detector?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Since this was brought up again I decided to look into my treasure chest of finds. I opened this on Christmas a couple of years ago and gave away a bunch of stuff. Mostly watches and jewelry. Most of the coins are stashed somewhere else. Horse shoes and rusted stuff are elsewhere. Most of the finds were garbage. Some are anchors and outdoor gear. This is the good stuff. Oddly about half was found without the metal detector.

20200303_094957.jpg