• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timing Question on Travel Package

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently redeemed MR points for a Travel Package, and used the airline's frequent flyer points for an upcoming trip. My idea was to use the five night hotel stay next December, which obviously can't be reserved yet. So, the hotel certificate would technically expire before I could use it (only by several weeks). The Marriott rep made me feel comfortable that this wouldn't be a problem, but I wanted to run it by you TUGgers to see if you have any comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Never extended a five night certificate, but I have never had a problem extending a seven night one. It usually helps if you have a confirmed rewards reservation to attach it to at the same time as requesting the extension.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Extended them often. Keep in mind, they are extended for a year from the time yo request the extension. It's not a year tacked on to the original expiration.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Easy to extend a 5-night certificate, but it does not happen automatically. You have to call and request the extension, which will be for one year from the date of the request. You do not need to have a hotel reservation to attach it to when you request the extension. I almost never do, and I have done this type of extension at least two or three times.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever I have exchanged MRPs for a travel package, I have had to make a hotel reservation at the same time. So I assume that to detach the hotel cert from the reservation, I would first have to cancel the hotel reservation and then subsequently I could call to extend the cert that had been put back in my MR account.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Easy to extend a 5-night certificate, but it does not happen automatically. You have to call and request the extension, which will be for one year from the date of the request. You do not need to have a hotel reservation to attach it to when you request the extension. I almost never do, and I have done this type of extension at least two or three times.

Whenever I have exchanged MRPs for a travel package, I have had to make a hotel reservation at the same time. So I assume that to detach the hotel cert from the reservation, I would first have to cancel the hotel reservation and then subsequently I could call to extend the cert that had been put back in my MR account.

A lot will depend on the rep you get I suppose. So while you don't need a hotel reservation to use a travel package or extend one, there are some reps out there that will require you to have a reservation to do so. I have had this issue in the past. It is easy enough to cancel the reservation that fighting them on it is not worth the trouble.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've done it with a five night one and I did reserve a five night stay with the flights (making it a 12 night trip). I had an exchange into Ko Olina for the last 7 nights. I ended up finding a good deal on a condo rental in Maui for the first five nights and just cancelled the five night certificate. I ended up extending it for a year and a half with the final stay (last March) being two and a half years from when I first got it.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is interesting Malcolm and as Dioxide says it probably does depend on the rep you get.
We have always found Marriott very flexible with the Travel packages.
Most times we have not made the hotel reservations until later, sometimes much later.
We have extended for a year several times.
We have also confirmed that we only need to make the reservation within the year, but the dates we reserve can be up to another year later.
We have also confirmed that we can upgrade from Category 5 to Category 6 hotels for 15000 MR points.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...very informative. I do have a follow up question. I know which hotel we want, and will be hoping for an ocean front or at least ocean view room. I have Platinum status, but I expect my room certificate will be for a basic room, correct? So, do you recommend I just see what they offer when I arrive, and if desired, I offer MR points or cash to upgrade? Appreciate the help!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had experience with this also. Depending on what resort you are staying at will play into it a lot. Call the resort ahead of making the reservation and ask them whether they think they will upgrade you. Of course they can't promise anything, but they will give you a good indication. I've see lots of view upgrades in places where the view isn't that big of a deal and not so much where it makes the room worth a lot more.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks everyone...very informative. I do have a follow up question. I know which hotel we want, and will be hoping for an ocean front or at least ocean view room. I have Platinum status, but I expect my room certificate will be for a basic room, correct? So, do you recommend I just see what they offer when I arrive, and if desired, I offer MR points or cash to upgrade? Appreciate the help!

Yes, a reward points reservation with a hotel certificate will be for a standard room. Nothing special. I don't know if you can pay additional points to upgrade it or not. Best thing would be to hope for an upgrade at checkin based on your status.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Yes, a reward points reservation with a hotel certificate will be for a standard room. Nothing special. I don't know if you can pay additional points to upgrade it or not. Best thing would be to hope for an upgrade at checkin based on your status.

I think technically you are correct, but as a platinum MR Elite I always book the lowest rate (usually senior) and have always been upgraded to concierge floor with lounge access...quite an difference if you look at published rates. Although it hasn't happened to me i anve often heard of platinum upgrades to suites.

Brian

Last edited:

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think technically you are correct, but as a platinum MR Elite I always book the lowest rate (usually senior) and have always been upgraded to concierge floor with lounge access...quite an difference if you look at published rates. Although it hasn't happened to me i anve often heard of platinum upgrades to suites.

Brian

I was upgraded as a Platinum to a suite once -- in Orlando at the Renaissance. It was the weekend I FIRST reached Platinum status. Nice touch.

I am almost always upgraded no matter where I go -- minimum to a Concierge Level room. Often to a better view where view is relevant. Only exception might be a Courtyard where I stay overnight before an international flight and it doesn't matter in that situation.

Whoever posted that you have to book the hotel when you book the package is not correct. The hotel part of the "package" can sit in your account until you are ready to book. I often book the package to get the airline miles immediately and wait to figure out how to use the hotel stay.

Extending the hotel stay is not a problem. I am lucky that I have had the same great VOA for years and he takes care of those things for me.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

You can sometimes use points to upgrade, but I think only if that upgraded choice s available on marriott.com as an available rate. I used to do this, but now as a Platinum Elite I rely on my status upgrades, which are now much more frequent than a few years ago. I have a 100% upgrade record at the Wailea Marriott, which has been great.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wailea Marriott

...now as a Platinum Elite I rely on my status upgrades, which are now much more frequent than a few years ago. I have a 100% upgrade record at the Wailea Marriott, which has been great.

Coincidentally, this is where we'll be staying, after our stay at MOC. Sounds like we will have a good result. Thanks.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Coincidentally, this is where we'll be staying, after our stay at MOC. Sounds like we will have a good result. Thanks.

Unless they are sold out you should get an upgrade with at least a partial ocean view and likely a somewhat larger room. I really enjoy that resort. Good luck and enjoy.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
My idea was to use the five night hotel stay next December

I thought there are only 7 day travel packages, hotel, air, and car. I looked on the Marriott site and still only see 7 days. Did I miss it or what type of reward are you referring to?

thanks

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought there are only 7 day travel packages, hotel, air, and car. I looked on the Marriott site and still only see 7 days. Did I miss it or what type of reward are you referring to?

thanks

The five night packages are only available to MVCI owners. The information on these are on the my-vacationclub.com website. There is a small points premium to be paid for these packages over the 7 night packages.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
One thing to be cautious about is canceling a reservation with a travel package certificate attached. Sometimes it goes smooth and the certificate returns to my account as an unused certificate. A few times, the (very depressed) point value of the hotel portion was redeposited to my account. I have had to call to convert back to a certificate. MR had to do this-not reservations. They were always helpful and got it done. I just make sure it happens properly now.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
What happened to you should only happen if you ask them to put the points back into your account (not the certificate).

One thing to be cautious about is canceling a reservation with a travel package certificate attached. Sometimes it goes smooth and the certificate returns to my account as an unused certificate. A few times, the (very depressed) point value of the hotel portion was redeposited to my account. I have had to call to convert back to a certificate. MR had to do this-not reservations. They were always helpful and got it done. I just make sure it happens properly now.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
What happened to you should only happen if you ask them to put the points back into your account (not the certificate).

There are a lot of bumps in the procedures when redeeming a travel package, and especially when changing a travel package reservation. You have to watch the details very carefully. They don't have a smooth system for these, which I think is why we can't book them online.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score

Definitely asked for the certificate to be returned. Honestly it depends on the rep and I am calling the plat line. As Bocaboy says.lots of bumps to watch for. I am very clear. I would never want the points back vs a cat 8 five night certificate.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they are still offering 10% United mileage bonus for package redemption?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know if they are still offering 10% United mileage bonus for package redemption?

Yes, but I don't think this applies to the five night packages. Just the 7 night ones. There is a special grid for this package when you look up the 7 night packages on Marriott.com.