• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thrifty rental car in Kauai, any problems?

craig5571

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey,

has anyone rented from thrifty rental car, in Lihue, kauai, recently, i got a decent rate of 186 (for a standard car). all in for 8/9 -8/16. from discount hawaii car rental.

i have searched the forums and saw nothing bad, but it you look at trip advisor or yelp. the reviews aren't stellar.

i could also get dollar for 75$ more..this is for a standard car (my wife and i and our two daughters 8 and 10)

i looked at costco and it wasnt that great..($289) i know to check every day or so..
, do you have to be logged into costco to see the good rates?

any other things to watch out for , regarding car rental on kauai?

we are going to be in hawaii for two weeks, the next week, i was able to use the ultimate rewards portal on my wifes chase account to get a car with her points, on the big island

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We rented from them last week. It was only $161/week for a SUV through Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Except for the car being dinged up some (it had 42,000 miles), it was a good experience. Service was quick without any hassles.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like artringwald said these cars are pretty banged up. We rented directly from Dollar last visit to Kauai and the car had many nicks and scrapes on it. I was really worried that we would be responsible for some of the damage when we returned this car so we were ready to go somewhere else. The attendent told us, and I quote, "all the cars are like that. When exiting the car the wind will catch the door and cause it to bang into the car next to you, a fence, a pole or anything that happens to be in the way, thus all the nicks. Don't worry about it". So we didn't and all was well. We had a great time.......nicks, bangs and all!!! Plus the car worked fine.

Last edited:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey,

has anyone rented from thrifty rental car, in Lihue, kauai, recently, i got a decent rate of 186 (for a standard car). all in for 8/9 -8/16. from discount hawaii car rental.

i have searched the forums and saw nothing bad, but it you look at trip advisor or yelp. the reviews aren't stellar.

i could also get dollar for 75$ more..this is for a standard car (my wife and i and our two daughters 8 and 10)

i looked at costco and it wasnt that great..($289) i know to check every day or so..
, do you have to be logged into costco to see the good rates?

any other things to watch out for , regarding car rental on kauai?

we are going to be in hawaii for two weeks, the next week, i was able to use the ultimate rewards portal on my wifes chase account to get a car with her points, on the big island

We rented from Thrifty last August and were offered FREE upgrade to convertible. I think they needed sedans for larger parties. No issues whatsoever!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Highest recommendation. And a great tip everyone needs to know:

Go to the Thrifty website and join their Blue Chip rental program. It's free to do that. Then have Discount Hawaii Car Rental add your Blue Chip number to your reservation. When you enter the Thrifty counter area in Lihue, look to the left side of the counter. There is a separate line for Blue Chip members.

When I was last on Kauai, I rented a convertible from Thrifty through DHCR. The car I received only had about 200 miles on it. It was spotless. And even though there was a HUGE line at the regular counter, there was no line at all at the Blue Chip counter. The paperwork was ready and waiting for me, and I was out the door and in the car within about two minutes.

I would rent again from Thrifty in Kauai anytime. And DHCR beat Costco by a substantial amount. And I don't say that lightly - my spouse works for Costco! :D

Dave

craig5571

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks so much for all the tips!!
i feel alot better now and especially thanks for the blue chip information!!

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alamo on Molokai

We're currently renting on Molokai. We booked through DHCR since it was about $300 under Costco. The agent said they reserve the older cars for the DHCR people - at least on Molokai. We got a baby upgrade (my birthday, but they were out of our car class :) ) to a Dodge Charger. The Charger's plates expired, and we took it back and received another baby upgrade to a brand-new Captiva (17 miles). The Captiva is better - smaller and more ground clearance. Very happy with the whole process.