• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 in 4 RULE IN MEXICO

CURIOUS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please explain this rule?

Resort owners in Cabo San Lucas and San José cannot exchange into this resort.

I've also seen this stated in Puerto Vallarta.

What exactly does this mean? If we are TS owners in Mexico; does this mean that we cannot use our RCI points to reserve a resort???

Thanks much.
Mary Ellen:(

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Which resort?

1 in 4 means you can only exchange for the resort one year out of 4.

CURIOUS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort?

1 in 4 means you can only exchange for the resort one year out of 4.

Denise, I've seen this stated in the exchange agreement at several resorts.....

So, am I understanding that if we own TS in Mexico, PV, CB OR MAZ, we are not allowed to exchange into a particular resort that states this rule?

For example, I was looking at Pueblo Bonita Sunset in CSL. So if we have never stayed at PBS, we can exchange into this resort? But we would have to wait for 4 years to stay at PBS again? Am I interpreting this rule correctly base on what you just stated?:(

Mary Ellen

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That is correct.... They want to keep fresh meat moving through the sales machine.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are ways one can circumvent the rule somewhat (we hear). One year, you book it straight RCI exchange. The next year, use SFX. The next year, RCI Points with a different account # or spouse name, The next year, a different exchange, or just rent, then back to RCI. Etc. We've never been challenged on successive year exchanges, but it would be darn inconvenient if it happened.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
1-3/4/5 rule is strictly resort thingy that RCI honors. II Does not!

Sales sledge hammer!

If you own in Mexico you can stay at home resort every year.

If you book through RCI , then resort restrictions apply. If you do a booking most of the way, RCI web site will bring up specific limitations.

I go to CABO for birthday every January for whale watching , et. al. and have no problem with.

Simply take $300 bribe plus breakfast at air port for a couple tours and check where I want to go next year!

Have stayed at 7 different resorts. PBS is my favorite, but GF like resorts she could walk to Marina shopping from.

Golf Course is only resort I would never do again, but I am not golfer and snagged with $299 reservation!

Might want to peruse Mexico Forum on down!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hello,

Can someone please explain this rule?

I've also seen this stated in Puerto Vallarta.

What exactly does this mean? If we are TS owners in Mexico; does this mean that we cannot use our RCI points to reserve a resort???

The 1 in 4 is different than a regional or resort specific block. RCI has both kinds. If your Mexican resort is in the points account that you are using and it is from an area blocked you won't be able to exchange in at all or if you do it could be cancelled. If you don't have that Mexican resort listed in the points account that you are using- I would say just don't tell them that you own at a restricted resort/area.

II does not have a 1 in x restriction but they do have regional blocks. Generally as long as you don't exchange using that deposit with II you are ok. With an RCI points account it doesn't matter where the points come from if one resort is blocked due to area all your points would be ineligible.

Regional blocks are generally because they suspect that if you already own in the general area but are exchanging to their resort it is because you like their resort but can do it cheaper with a similar lower quality resort so why would you buy.

CURIOUS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
4 in ONE RULE

The 1 in 4 is different than a regional or resort specific block. RCI has both kinds. If your Mexican resort is in the points account that you are using and it is from an area blocked you won't be able to exchange in at all or if you do it could be cancelled. If you don't have that Mexican resort listed in the points account that you are using- I would say just don't tell them that you own at a restricted resort/area.

II does not have a 1 in x restriction but they do have regional blocks. Generally as long as you don't exchange using that deposit with II you are ok. With an RCI points account it doesn't matter where the points come from if one resort is blocked due to area all your points would be ineligible.

Regional blocks are generally because they suspect that if you already own in the general area but are exchanging to their resort it is because you like their resort but can do it cheaper with a similar lower quality resort so why would you buy.

Thanks everyone for your input into my question. Our resort that we have the RCI points system is located in Las Vegas but we own in Mexico ( you own one, you own all locations so that would pretty much cover all the resorts in Mexico). IF we should attend a presentation; we just won't tell them that we own in Mexico......

Just curioius, where would I find the info regarding restricted resort/area?:(

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input into my question. Our resort that we have the RCI points system is located in Las Vegas but we own in Mexico ( you own one, you own all locations so that would pretty much cover all the resorts in Mexico). IF we should attend a presentation; we just won't tell them that we own in Mexico......

See my post #6.

Just plug in reservation info, but do not give CC so it is cancelled!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

It's on a resort by resort or overall developer rules. Other than the "important information" listed for those resorts there isn't a place to go to find out more info.

For example I own resorts by each of the two major developers that exchange through RCI in Hilton Head. They used to have specific rules that prevented owners from one developer from trading into the other. I think they recently changed to a 1 in x rule. In general RCI programs accounts so they should not be able to bypass the rules for that account. As long as the resort in question is not listed in that RCI account- no problem.

Bill4728

Reaction score

If you go to a presentation I'd absolutely tell them I own a vegas TS and a mexican TS and that it was a pain to own a Mexician TS because of this kind of trading block. Great way to get you out of the presentation sooner.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hacienda del Mar 1/4 Rules in CABO!

Below is from RCI web site and will show up on resorts with frequency limitations!

Hacienda del Mar

Urgent Information

Mandatory Fees

State Lodging tax is 3% ask resort for currency type.

Housekeeping Fees

" There may be a 4.00 U.S. dollars for all units, daily. "

Policy Restrictions

Exceeding the maximum capacity of the unit is not permitted. No exceptions.

1 in 4 rule applies.

Animals are not permitted; could result in forfeiture of the unit and/or other penalties.

Additional Information

Area Restriction: The owners of resorts in Los Cabos, cannot confirm other properties in the same area. The 1 in 4 year rule does not apply to owners of Hacienda del Mar.

Both owners and non owners of Hacienda del Mar may only confirm up to four weeks per calendar year.

All restrictions are verified by name and membership ID number, therefore they are also applicable to members confirming as guests on other memberships.

Offer includes only accommodations and specifically excludes travel costs and other expenses