• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

iPhone dropped in water HELP!

macko420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bob dropped his phone in water today (don't ask!) Anyway, we put it in a bag of rice but think we should remove the battery too. It looks a little difficult. And the YouTube I watched recommended 'special' tiny tools which we don't have.
Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the odds it will work again??? We got the phones last Oct and I bought a Square trade warranty on my own for them. Do you think they will replace the phone? Thanks in advance :doh:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bob dropped his phone in water today (don't ask!) Anyway, we put it in a bag of rice but think we should remove the battery too. It looks a little difficult. And the YouTube I watched recommended 'special' tiny tools which we don't have.
Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the odds it will work again??? We got the phones last Oct and I bought a Square trade warranty on my own for them. Do you think they will replace the phone? Thanks in advance :doh:

Whether the warranty will replace the phone depends on its terms - whether it covers accidental damage. Some (NSSI) does, most don't.

I have revived three phones (not iPhones) this way:

1. take apart the phone as much as you can, remove battery, cover, and anything else.

2. pour rubbing alcohol in a bowl or pan, and swish the phone and its parts through the alcohol (the alcohol displaces the water and evaporates more quickly than water, and also kills the yuckies if need be)

3. shake, shake, shake, to get out as much water/alcohol as you can

4. lay the phone and parts out under a bright light to speed evaporation. shake and rearrange periodically. Optional - put in a warm oven no more than 100 degrees for awhile, maybe a half hour. shake shake shake. keep it in bright light for a few days.

5. when there is no more obvious liquid shaking out of it, put it in a zip bag with some of those packets that come in shoes and purses to prohibit moisture. It might take a few days of that. These packets work far better than rice.

macko420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks PJ Rose! I can't get it apart though. I think we have accidental coverage but it is still under Apple's warranty too. I guess I need to look into that too and see what they recommend.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take the phone apart as much as you can and cover it with rice in a container then cover the container.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take the phone apart as much as you can and cover it with rice in a container then cover the container.

+1 That worked for us. You can use either tupperware container or a ziploc bag to contain the rice. Good luck OP.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
What ever you do, don't try to turn it off or on or touch any buttons, that may cause you to short everything out.

If the rice fails, do like a friend of mine did. She washed her phone with her jeans and the rice did not work. She put it back in a pair of jeans and ran it through the dryer and it worked fine after that.

I don't recommend this if you do have insurance that may cover the phone.

I took mine (non-smart phone) into the hot tub with me for about 3 seconds before I remembered it was in my pocket. I could not recover it or the battery but I did hit a button before I tried to dry it out. I ended up buying one like it on eBay.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW did the rice trick. It sort of worked a couple of days after, but lost some functions. When she turned it off it wouldn't restart. It was out of warranty and eligible to upgrade, so she re-upped into a new phone.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 6-9 months ago our 3 y/o tried to flush one of our iPhone 5's. It was completely dead. I put it in a pot of rice and left it there for 4-5 days. I didn't take it apart or anything. When I finally took it out I tried charging it and it charged up and turned on just fine. It's been working well since. So, yes there is hope.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
+1 on the rice (worked for me (but wasn't an i5)). Also worked for coffee spillled on the keyboard of my laptop (although the tech at work was not impressed when I needed help cleaning the rice out of the keyboard).

macko420

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks - going to ramp up the rice and dessicant (sp?) treatment and call Square Trade to see what they say. My son says they will just sent a new one but we need to keep any cards that are in it. I have no idea on either count there!!

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't give up on the phone even if it shows no life after several days. My son slipped off the end of a slippery dock about four summers ago with his IPhone 4 in his pocket. He said he was in the water maybe 10 seconds but it was enough to do it. Tried rice, hair dryer and after about 10 days.....still nothing. Meantime he got himself a new phone. I said don't throw it away, bring it home next time you come back. I put it in an upper shelf of a wall unit, in warmer air, left it for about 4 months, charged it and eureka.....it worked. It became my phone for a year until it began loosing it's charge prematurely and I got something new. It was never quite the same, but it did me well for a year after he had abandoned it.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
Apple's warranty specifically does not cover water damage. Square Trade's website says they do.

I used the rice trick on an iPhone for about 5 days and it worked, but, as said above, do not turn your phone on or off or touch the buttons for at least 5 days.

Good luck!

macko420

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose there is anyway to check your voicemail if your phone isn't working is there??

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't suppose there is anyway to check your voicemail if your phone isn't working is there??

There are ways but it depends on your carrier. I don't remember the details right now but if I call my number from another phone and put in a code I can retrieve the messages.

Give your carrier a call and they will tell you how.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
With some phone companies you can call your cellphone number from another phone and enter your PIN number to get your messages.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the rice fails, do like a friend of mine did. She washed her phone with her jeans and the rice did not work. She put it back in a pair of jeans and ran it through the dryer and it worked fine after that.

That is just crazy. How would she even think of that?

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is just crazy. How would she even think of that?

When all else fails you need to think outside the box. I tried it with mine and it did not help.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMNSHO, Insurance is more effective than any treatments.

NoeGirl160

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dropped my iPhone5 in the pool at Hilton Waikoloa, and spent a good hour shaking out the water before getting back to our room and the rice at Kingsland. After a day, it came back to life. Our Au pair washed her iPod, and it revived after a week plus. So, there's hope! Good luck...

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the link for Leo Laportes failed liquipel test.

http://www.waterproofiphone.info/liquipel-does-not-waterproof-your-iphone/

Keep in mind that he has 10 million listeners, so you have to figure they probably tried to do the best job on his iphone knowing he would probably test it on the air.

Also, if you look at their website, they offer no guarantees of anything.

macko420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talk to Squaretrade last night. They say it's covered but there is $100 deductible. That was what the phone cost with a new contract anyway! But we are not currently eligible for new contract yet. However I think I'm going to invest in one of those OtterBox waterproof cases for him to avoid this in the future!