• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

8 Things That Make the Samsung Galaxy S5 Better than the iPhone 5S

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still love my S3, except that the GPS chip is terrible, it can't hold a signal on I80 in clear sunlight in Indiana.

I have an S3 and the GPS works fine as long as I have data coming in strong. As soon as I get outside an area where service does not exist, the GPS does not work.

Are there any phones that have a pure GPS receiver in them? How about a tablet. My iPad will not work when the data is gone.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I replaced my S3 with another, under warranty, and the second one couldn't hold a signal either. If you google "Galaxy s3 gps" most of the hits are people with problems.

Here's another review of the Galaxy S5, praising its battery life and its camera, and its radio speeds, and dinging it for poor interface, poorly thought out and implemented "extra features", and bloatware (as has been mentioned here):

Ultimately, the S5 is a quality phone with an excellent screen, a very nice camera, a rockstar processor, and fantastic battery life. For 200 bucks on contract, you could do a lot worse, as long as you can be happy with the phone you have, not the phone it could have been if Samsung had gotten fully out of its own way.

Which sounds about right to me.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I replaced my S3 with another, under warranty, and the second one couldn't hold a signal either. If you google "Galaxy s3 gps" most of the hits are people with problems.

Here's another review of the Galaxy S5, praising its battery life and its camera, and its radio speeds, and dinging it for poor interface, poorly thought out and implemented "extra features", and bloatware (as has been mentioned here):

Which sounds about right to me.

I bought a Nexus 5 ~6 mos ago ($350 unsub'd) to get away from the customized versions of Android that many manufacturers feature. There are some nice things that the custom versions add, but the fact is that unless special hardware is req'd, the code for these features will be available as an app in short order (usually for free). I love my Nexus 5. I wouldn't trade it for two GS5's or i5S's.

Last edited:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a Nexus 5 ~6 mos ago ($350 unsub'd) to get away from the customized versions of Android that many manufacturers feature. There are some nice things that the custom versions add, but the fact is that unless special hardware is req'd, the code for these features will be available as an app in short order (usually for free). I love my Nexus 5. I wouldn't trade it for two GS5's or i5S's.

No Nexus 5 on Verizon. :(

The HTC Sense is unobtrusive to me. I never used Samsung's TouchWiz, I downloaded GO Launcher and used it instead. There are some preloaded apps on the HTC I would consider acceptable, like Audible or Pandora, even though I don't use them. There are some that are Verizannoying, like "Accessories" and "Verizon Tones"; who doesn't know how to get accessories and ringtones? And there are some that I suppose other people might like, such as Scribble and Zoe. Being on my 4th Verizon Android phone, I'd say this one has the least garbage on it, especially compared to the Thunderbolt and the Galaxy S3.

For us, the difference was more like $800 to forego the Google edition, because we got 2 HTC One M8s for $200 the both, BOGO, instead of $500 each. For that kind of money I can ignore the other stuff.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Samsung Confirms Galaxy S5 Camera Failure Bug, Asks Customers to Swap Out Hardware - by Chris Chavez/ Phandroid.com

We’ve heard reports of new Samsung Galaxy S5 owners encountering a pretty serious bug camera bug on their devices. Different from the Android 4.2.2 bug we told you guys about a few weeks ago, some Galaxy S5 users are receiving a “camera failed” popup upon opening the camera app, rendering the 16MP shooter completely inoperable.

"According to reports, not even reboots or factory resets were able to remedy the issue. Once thought to be a bug exclusive to Verizon variants of the GS5, reports from users on other carriers began surfacing in various online forums. Thankfully, Samsung has finally come forward and acknowledging the issue. A company spokesperson told The Verge,

“We have learned that a limited number of Galaxy S5 devices may have an issue that causes ‘Camera Failure’ pop-up error message.”

Galaxy S5 owners experiencing the camera bug are being asked to return their devices to the carrier store where it was originally purchased for a hardware swap, or they can contact Samsung support at 1-888-987-4357 for an exchange..."

Samsung-Galaxy-S5-water-logo-wm-DSC05776-640x478.jpg

Hope the bugs are worked out soon.

Richard