• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie - Considering Purchasing Hawaii Resale

kevntrace

TUG Member
Reaction score
New member here. Had a close shave with purchasing 3500pt EOY Studio at Sunrise Lodge for $18k with 9000 bonus points (don't know what period, but guessing bronze).

Fortunately I discovered TUG after the fact and submitted my rescind notice. Sent by fax (1st version not signed, 2nd version was) and by registered mail. Waiting to see what happens, but I did get my fax/mail done by day 5.

I am investigating a potential resale purchase. I am considering Hawaii, and I've narrowed it down to either HHV Lagoon Tower or Kings Land. We visited both areas last year on a vacation to Hawaii, although we did not stay at the HGVC properties.

I am looking for a 2 br annual platinum with somewhere between 7k - 14k points. If I go for 14k points, would consider renting out the 2nd week.

I also want to consider longer term resale (in 10 - 15 years time). I would ideally like to get my initial entry cost back. Not looking to make a profit on this though.

Ideally we would love to get a timeshare in Maui, but HGVC does not have a property on that island.

HHV has the benefit of being on the beach and is pretty much always in demand - which is leading me toward purchasing at HHV.

However I typically would not want to spend 7 days at a time at HHV. 2 - 3 days is enough. I would prefer to spend the rest at Kings Land.

But I do want the option to spend the week between Xmas and New Year at Hawaii on a regular basis. Buying into HHV with platinum gives me a better chance to get time at Oahu.

But there is my conundrum. Probably would not want the full 7 days at Oahu, and would like to split it with time in Kings Land.

I gather there are no "official" means of accommodating this through the HGVC program, as booking during the platinum weeks means booking the whole week.

Are there any "unofficial" options? Would other TUGers be willing to swap a partial platinum week between Kings Land and HHV?

I could buy into Kings Land instead of HHV and get my platinum week there. Not sure if there would be any takers willing to trade a few days of Kings Land for HHV?

I also don't know if I would get my initial purchase cost back in 10 - 15 years on a resale of Kings Land. It is not on the beach and does not have the "appeal" or demand of Oahu.

Looking for any advice from long term TUGers, HGVC owners, and especially those who frequent Hawaii.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Your plan for partial stays over the holidays is going to be extremely difficult to achieve. For holiday weeks in Hawaii, you really need to buy the resort and week when you want to go, because the holidays are often owned by fixed week owners. Christmas and New Years are the highest demand weeks of the year in Hawaii. I recommend that you keep exploring your options.