• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Sanibel and Captiva

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not a solicitation.

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to rent a couple of nights in a condo in Sanibel this summer. I can't see where HGV rents their properties and the rest of it is a crap shoot IMO. I need two very specific nights to tie in with a four day stay at Marriott's Crystal Shores.

If people have advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
This is not a solicitation.

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to rent a couple of nights in a condo in Sanibel this summer. I can't see where HGV rents their properties and the rest of it is a crap shoot IMO. I need two very specific nights to tie in with a four day stay at Marriott's Crystal Shores.

If people have advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://www.floridagrandvacations.com/

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know there are many people who LOVE the Sanibel/Captiva area -- but I thought I'd be the lone voice that says -- I was disappointed when I went there. I'd book a room on Ft. Myers Beach and then do a day trip over to S/C.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know there are many people who LOVE the Sanibel/Captiva area -- but I thought I'd be the lone voice that says -- I was disappointed when I went there. I'd book a room on Ft. Myers Beach and then do a day trip over to S/C.

Just wondering what you didn't like about S/c area? I have plans to go to Florida in August that includes an exchange to Tortuga Beach Club on Sanibel. never been there.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my mind, S/C location is great for an active person who does not desire much 'outside' stimulation. Neither of those words describe me.

But, Weimaraner's are my fave dogs. I had one many years ago.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
we live in southwest Florida. Have not been to Ft Myers Beach in years, too much traffic to get there. We do like Sanibel and Captiva, and we go to Barefoot Beach, Bonita Beach, or Vanderbilt Beach, also love Marco Island.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I've really lost interest in Sanibel over the last few years. The water releases from Lake Okeechobee down the Caloosahatchee River make the water at Sanibel brown and murky, and the beach feels like silt. Google it, there is much to read. Also, since Sanibel faces more south than west, you don't get the beautiful sunset views over the water because you're not facing the Gulf. On the other hand, if you go a few miles farther to Captiva, the water is blue and clean, the sand is nicer, there just aren't as many shells. Plus you face west and get the nice sunsets.

PS, that water from the river is so nasty at times they close the beaches to swimming because of bacteria. Just closed some last week.

One of many things to read..
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/23089627/okeechobee-water-release-hurting-business#.VMZmukfF9Og

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were living in Naples Florida at the time we visited Sanibel. Here is a link to one of our favorite places -- as noted by rapmarks above -- this is Vanderbilt Beach. I guess I am less of a nature lover than is required for Sanibel Island. THIS is my idea of a good time:

http://www.vanderbiltbeachresort.com/dining

The Turtle Club restaurant was our 'go to' location while we lived in Naples.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for sidebar on the poster's S/C question. Thanks for the info! I like hearing all of the positives/negatives. I LOVED Kauai and the woman behind me waiting to get on the plane said "I can't wait to get off this island."

That restaurant looks awesome. Only place I've seen feet in the sand dining option is in Aruba. I see on the live webcam that it's 70 Degrees and there are some people sunbathing -they must be from the north like me.

B2bailey And yes Weims are my fave too - right now I have one that is about 14-15 years old. I picked her up at the shelter as a pup (she had been hit by car). Every day is a mental chess game with weims and sometimes I don't win haha.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding my Weim...she was hit by a truck. Only damage was to her right front leg. I gave her massages and physical therapy on it till it was almost good as new. However, for years after if she wanted some attention she would hold her right leg up and limp.

Sorry, this really is a departure from OP topic.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> Every day is a mental chess game with weims and sometimes I don't win.

My first dog as a young child was a Weim --- Dad brought a young pup home and she delighted our family of six for many years thereafter; a wonderful animal --- who also managed to survive a vehicle encounter with just a broken leg. I can still see that metal "splint" device affixed to her leg in my minds eye.

It's German Shepherds now. Daily chess game there too; victor varies. No apology required for acknowledging loyal four-legged friends --- even if off-topic. ;)

Last edited:

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were living in Naples Florida at the time we visited Sanibel. Here is a link to one of our favorite places -- as noted by rapmarks above -- this is Vanderbilt Beach. I guess I am less of a nature lover than is required for Sanibel Island. THIS is my idea of a good time:

http://www.vanderbiltbeachresort.com/dining

The Turtle Club restaurant was our 'go to' location while we lived in Naples.

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Turtle Club restaurant. My aunt and uncle spend much of the winter in Naples and I purchased a gift card to Turtle Club for them as a Christmas gift. I try to select a new restaurant each time.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Turtle Club restaurant. My aunt and uncle spend much of the winter in Naples and I purchased a gift card to Turtle Club for them as a Christmas gift. I try to select a new restaurant each time.
you can't go wrong with the Turtle Club

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tortuga Beach Club is a good exchange --

Just wondering what you didn't like about S/c area? I have plans to go to Florida in August that includes an exchange to Tortuga Beach Club on Sanibel. never been there.

Whether or not you will like spending an entire week on island, there are always a number of day trips for places nearby. My comment to O/P was about making S/C a 2 day destination trip.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

1) I should have stated that Captiva is in the mix also, so thank you for the reference there.

2) I already have a place booked in Fort Meyers so I've got that going for me if all else fails.

I've just read so much about how beautiful it is and I'm a nature lover so that's more important to me versus pristine beaches, etc.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tween Waters INN on Captiva is a good place. You must see Ding Darling at low tide if you are a nature lover. and a warning that the drive is closed on Fridays.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Tween Waters Inn is where I & DW #1 spent our honeymoon in 1982.
It was a great place then -- on the bay with the gulf right across the street.
Sunday Brunch was not to be missed. Rented a sailboat from their marina.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've just read so much about how beautiful it is and I'm a nature lover so that's more important to me versus pristine beaches, etc.
Sanibel is my very favorite place in the eastern US, and that's because of Ding Darling, in the winter when the wading birds are there. We have been a couple of times, and we drive thru every single day that it's open, with about a hundred stops, because it's different every day. BUT - I'm not sure it's that great in the summertime, because the huge flocks of birds won't be there. So, you'll just have to go back.

And then there are the shells, especially after a storm.

We have stayed in both Sanibel pre-hurricane, and Captiva post-hurricane, wasn't it Charley? I liked Sanibel better, for convenience to Ding Darling, and the shells were more abundant.