• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frequent Flyer Miles

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the frequent flyer miles. Can I transfer my frequent flyer miles to any airline that I wish? Just wondering how that works.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Well, it all depends on where you are earning your miles. Some companies/credit cards allow you to use your miles/points towards any airline. Others, that are tied to a specific airline can only be used for that airline, and its partners.

For example with my Capitol One card I earn points. Those points can be redeemed for travel awards (flights, hotels, etc), can be used to pay off the credit card, or I can get a check issued. For the flights, I need to purchase the flight, then use the points to pay for it after the fact. I also have a Southwest Chase card. That one earns points that can only be used for Southwest flights. Dh has a United Chase card. He can use it for United flights, and all of their partners.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It depends on the rules for that particular card.

We have:

Starwood AMEX (transfer to most airlines for $1 = 1.25 mi. when you transfer 20K points.)

Alaska Air VISA

Hawaiian Air Master Card

We try to use the AMEX for everything thing possible, and use the VISA or MC, places where they don't accept AMEX.

Considerations:

-What airlines do you use the most?
-What sign up bonuses are they offering?
-Does the card offer yearly discounted companion tickets like buy one - get one for half price?
-Consider opening 2 Acct.s (one for each spouse) and get 2 bonuses
-Is the bill payer in your family absolutely reliable about paying off the credit cards each mo? If you run up interest charges, it wipes out the value of your miles.
-There will be a yearly membership fee in the $75-$100 range.

There are entire websites devoted to this stuff if you want to really check it out.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to know but it has been a decade or two and I have forgotten. I have a similar question as OP's. It is not about which airline miles that the credit card that the points will transfer to, but rather say, I have a ton of United miles... if I wish to travel on Star Alliance network, do I call the other Star Alliance airline company and transfer/use(?) to book in their system?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I used to know but it has been a decade or two and I have forgotten. I have a similar question as OP's. It is not about which airline miles that the credit card that the points will transfer to, but rather say, I have a ton of United miles... if I wish to travel on Star Alliance network, do I call the other Star Alliance airline company and transfer/use(?) to book in their system?

From the United website. I highlighted the piece I think you're interested in.

Star Alliance air travel award rules

Star Alliance awards have limited availability and are subject to capacity controls.
Unless otherwise noted, Star Alliance air travel awards may be booked on any combination of flights operated by Star Alliance members.
Most travel award itineraries may be booked at united.com. Certain travel awards may only be booked over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center. An award booking service fee of $25 per person will apply to all bookings made over the phone, regardless of whether it is possible to be booked at united.com.
Cities and countries served by the Star Alliance partners are subject to change. Some countries listed in the award chart may not be available for award travel and other countries may become available later.
Awards ticketed less than 21 days before travel will be subject to a close-in award booking fee. Please see the Award Ticketing Options/Service Fees page for more details.
All fees are based on the status of the account holder at the time the ticket is booked.
Different award types (Saver and Standard) and cabins may be combined to create a single roundtrip award. Awards may not be combined or used with any other air travel certificate, discount coupon, premium offer or specific promotional fares.
You can also book a One-Way Award if you wish to travel one way. If you redeem your roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.
Two open jaws are permitted per roundtrip award. For example, you can fly from New York/Newark to London and return from Paris to Washington Dulles.
A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada. For travel booked on or after February 1, 2014, a stopover is permitted only on certain roundtrip itineraries. Additional mileage may be required.
Economy awards may be exchanged for a higher cabin, if available, for the difference in mileage and applicable award change fee. Travel awards may not be used in conjunction with promotional upgrades or MileagePlus® Upgrade Awards.
Travel awards are not eligible for mileage accrual with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
Unused or canceled MileagePlus awards may be re-deposited back to the account from which the miles were withdrawn prior to the expiration date. Award re-deposits are subject to the applicable fees. Please see the Award Ticketing Options/Service Fees page for more details.
MileagePlus travel awards have no cash value except for applicable taxes, fees and surcharges. Request for refund of taxes should be sent to refund accounting.
Unless otherwise noted, award tickets are valid one year from original date of issue. All travel must be completed within one year from date of issue. See the Interactive Award Chart for award regions.
MileagePlus members are responsible for all applicable federal inspection fees, terminal facility fees, customs and immigration fees, infant tickets (when required for children under two years of age) and any other fees or surcharges applicable to reward travel. Fees and surcharges must be paid by credit card only at the time the MileagePlus award is ticketed. Also, some international departure fees are due at the airport, payable in cash only.
Once an airline ticket is issued, the passenger name on the ticket may not be changed, and the ticket may not be used by anyone else. A name change requires that you re-deposit the award for a service fee (payable by credit card only) and request a new award in the appropriate name.
MileagePlus awards and mileage in your MileagePlus account may not be sold, bartered, traded, exchanged or purchased, except under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United Airlines. Awards and mileage obtained in violation of this rule will be void and confiscated. A violation of this rule may result in the termination of your MileagePlus membership and forfeiture of all mileage in your account. If a person other than the MileagePlus member or the person named on the reward attempts to use the award, it will be void and travel will be denied. Altered awards are also void. Awards deemed void will be confiscated and the mileage forfeited by the member. At the discretion of MileagePlus, actions which result in a void award may lead to membership termination and forfeiture of all mileage.
In the event of a flight delay or cancellation, you will be re-routed on the first available flight in accordance with Our United Customer Commitment. Some partners may have different policies for re-accommodation during irregular operations.
If you elect to travel in a lower class of service than specified by your award, you will not receive a mileage adjustment.
All tax liability associated with the MileagePlus program and with the receipt and use of MileagePlus awards, including income tax, is the responsibility of the customer.
If you fail to comply with the MileagePlus award rules, at United Airlines' sole discretion, you may be accommodated on a different flight than originally selected, seated in a lower class of service, denied ticketing or boarding or be subject to other action as provided under the "Mileage or Award Abuse" provision herein. Travel on United Airlines or MileagePlus airline partners is subject to the filed tariffs and standard contract of carriage of the specific carrier.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Luanne. There is hardly any Star Alliance airline flights when you search on united. I think I asked this question before on TUG (dementia is kicking in a young age. :)) and I thought someone said that one can call Star Alliance airline directly to book.

I had forgotten that I can use United frequent flyer account when paying for other Star Alliance flights so that instead of having frequent flyers accounts with various airlines, I can consolidate all miles onto one account. I forgot about that piece until recently. DUH.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks, Luanne. There is hardly any Star Alliance airline flights when you search on united. I think I asked this question before on TUG (dementia is kicking in a young age. :)) and I thought someone said that one can call Star Alliance airline directly to book.

I had forgotten that I can use United frequent flyer account when paying for other Star Alliance flights so that instead of having frequent flyers accounts with various airlines, I can consolidate all miles onto one account. I forgot about that piece until recently. DUH.

I think when you book on United they are usually going to show you the United flights first. But there is an option when selecting your flights to show all airlines. I know my dd booked flights to Europe and many of the flights are on Lufthansa. She booked the entire trip on the United website. She paid for the tickets but used miles (again on the website) to upgrade her flight from the U.S. to Belgium.

I hate talking to the United reps on the phone and will do anything I can to avoid that. :eek:

uop1497

Reaction score
I have a couple questions regarding booking ticket with United

1) If you book your ticket with miles and can not take your trip, what happens to the miles . Would you able to cancel the ticket and have the mile credit back to your account like Southwest . How about the fee ( tax. airport fee ect...) that associated with the ticket. Can you get that money refund as well?

2) When booking ticket with united whether using mile or pay with your credit card . How your middle name showing in the itinerary. Will it show only the first letter of your middle name or it will show your middle name in full

I recently book my trip with United, paid with credit card. All segment will be operated by All Nippon . I noticed that the first letter of my middle name is showing in the itinerary(next to my first name) . United representative told me that is the way their system works and shows on the itinerary. And will show the same thing on the boarding pass.

I just wonder if anyone who book ticket with united see the same problem as me. I contacted United but can not get a valid answer. I was told it was my fault for enter incorrectly when booking my ticket. I had a mileage account with united and my name was stored correctly (first, Middle, last).

Thanks .

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have a couple questions regarding booking ticket with United

1) If you book your ticket with miles and can not take your trip, what happens to the miles . Would you able to cancel the ticket and have the mile credit back to your account like Southwest . How about the fee ( tax. airport fee ect...) that associated with the ticket. Can you get that money refund as well?

2) When booking ticket with united whether using mile or pay with your credit card . How your middle name showing in the itinerary. Will it show only the first letter of your middle name or it will show your middle name in full

I recently book my trip with United, paid with credit card. All segment will be operated by All Nippon . I noticed that the first letter of my middle name is showing in the itinerary(next to my first name) . United representative told me that is the way their system works and shows on the itinerary. And will show the same thing on the boarding pass.

I just wonder if anyone who book ticket with united see the same problem as me. I contacted United but can not get a valid answer. I was told it was my fault for enter incorrectly when booking my ticket. I had a mileage account with united and my name was stored correctly (first, Middle, last).

Thanks .

It usually costs $200 per passenger to get your miles back if you cancel. You should be fine with the name issue, as my recollection is that is the way their system prints it out.