• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Survey: Ontario maintenance fees

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do Canadian timeshares tend to have high maintenance fees?

There are several Canadian timeshare properties that interest me, however their high maintenance fees keep me away. This includes in places like Mont Tremblant, Collingwood and the Muskokas. I am looking on the East Coast exclusively.

Does anyone have any insight as to why the MFs are so high? Can anyone recommend and Canadian TSs with reasonable MFs?

Many thanks...

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Minimum wage has gone up a lot in the last few years. Recently to $10.25 I think.

Cold winters and hot/humid summers. Hot is relative but everyone uses AC.

Maybe high property taxes.

Probably other reasons as well.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably a lot of non-paying mud week owners if it is a fixed or floating week system. This spring there was lots of last call availability.

Bib

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's your definition of "high" maintenance fees?

We own EOY at White Point (NS) and our MF is under $600 (paid eoy) for a 2BR 1 bath cottage with all the ammenities (or 58000 points in RCI). Our week is at the end of August. I don't see this as overpriced, considering to book the same cottage right now through the resort is over $2000.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own EOY at White Point (NS) and our MF is under $600 (paid eoy) for a 2BR 1 bath cottage with all the ammenities (or 58000 points in RCI). Our week is at the end of August. I don't see this as overpriced, considering to book the same cottage right now through the resort is over $2000.

That does sound very reasonable, Bib and Nova Scotia is beautiful!

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
I am interested in the 2010 maintenance fees paid for 2BR 2BA units at Ontario timeshare resorts (e.g. Carriage Ridge, Royal Harbour, Calabogie, etc.). I'll start it off...

Lodges at Horseshoe, 2BR 2BA, $708.80

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a red studio for 4 at Harbour Inn, and our MF's are around $360.

Dori

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the 2010 maintenance fees for a 2BR 2BA timeshare in Ontario (e.g. Carriage Ridge, Royal Harbour, Law Cranberry, etc.)? Please list the resort and the fee. Thanks in advance.

Lodges at Horseshoe = $708.80

I am not exactly sure.. the Carriage Ridge MFs are in the $750-800 range... way too much

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Carriage Hills and Ridge

I understand that Carriage Hills is $844 and Carriage Ridge is $824.

itisme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any insight as to why the MFs are high

Any Carriage Hills owners have insight as to why the MFs are high? I took a tour few years back and the MFs were around $500. That is an increase of 70% over couple of years.

I am looking to buy on eBay for own to use. There are a few eBay listings recently for $1 with seller paying closing and resort transfer. Tempted but wondering about the sky rocketing MF. Might still be worth it as I will save on exchange fees and I can hardly find a 2BD deposit (everyone deposits as 1BD and Studio). However, there are 2BD units currently available in extra vacations for July & Aug 2011 @ $818, around the same price as the MF.

Currentyl on eBay with seller paying all costs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-BR-Canada-RED...md=ViewItem&pt=Timeshares&hash=item45f3a38b83

Last edited:

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2bed at Cranberry Resort in Collingwood. We have off season time EOY with maintenance fees of $699. Much too high for us since we hardly use it

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deerhurst Resort - Two bedroom - $789. for this year.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own at Marriott's Residence Inn, Muskoka Wharf ? What is it like at this resort and what are their M/T fees ? Never been there before but will be there mid August. Any advice on what to see in the area will be welcome.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
2011 Maintenance Fee

Reports are just in that the 2011 MF assessment at Carriage Hills is $940.

itisme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carriage Hills MF

2011 MF is $909. I paid yesterday. Big portion of the increase is due to HST.

Made a mistake in picking up Carriage Hills eventhough it was almost free. As far as SVC has control MF is going to be high.

Last edited:

SteveH

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bib:
Is your resort still in developer sales? If yes, then the developer is probably subsidizing the lower maintenance fees until the resort is nearly sold out.
My Calabogie Lodge 2BR is $735.65 for 2011. New drinking water regulations, HST and minimum wage policies have all contributed to higher fees. Also the fact the most Canadian timeshares are RTU and don't have homeowner associations probably works against keeping costs low. These creeping costs are probably placing a lot of owners at the tipping point, especially with non-red weeks.
Steve

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
The Lodges at Horseshoe

$1108.21 for 2011, including special assessments.:bawl:

Harmina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harbour Inn

Dori...the M.F.'s at Harbour Inn are getting to be ridiculously high.
I was shocked when I saw our invoice.....$450.87 for the studios!!
Still not a bad deal considering we didn't pay developer prices!

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Harmina! I totally agree, but still way less than CH and others. I spoke to Mary a week or so ago, and it seems that lots of owners are getting rid of weeks due to the bad economy, and being shafted by RCI in terms of trading power. With the new system, I don't know yet what good my blue week will be. We are in south Korea now, visiting our son, so I'll do some playing around with our red week to see what it pulls. right now I have no blue weeks to test with. Apparently, if too many owners balk at the new MF's, they may ask us if we want to dissiolve HI, and sell it. Hmmmm. Might not be a bad idea??

Dori

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own at Marriott's Residence Inn, Muskoka Wharf ? What are their M/T for 2b unit ?

K.

Harmina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harbour Inn

Hi Dori, we are owners at Carriage Hills ( week 26), thank goodness we bought a fixed week. At least the point value is good on that one!
Our maintenance fees are high, but compared to Harbour Inn - not really.
At Carriage Hills we can split our 2 bedroom with RCI for 2 trades ( studio and one bedroom). Therefore our MF's work out to be about the same ( $455 per trade) $450. for Harbour Inn's studio. We certainly get more value out of our CH ownership. We have stayed up there many times since we purchased in 1997. We use the one bedroom & trade with our studio. Certainly the accommodations are larger.
We were at the owners meeting at Harbour Inn last June. They were talking then of perhaps selling the facility, as a lot of owners are older now & not using their timeshares & defaulting on their MF's. Therefore the rest of us are paying higher fees to keep it operational. I think it is going to get worse now, especially, with the low points that we are getting from RCI. There will be more owners walking away from it. We have always had good trades from our white & red week. I am thankful that last month I confirmed two consecutive weeks at the Scottsdale Camelback for next November using my 2012 white & red week. I had no idea then, that RCI was going to this point system for weeks owners.
Under the new system I would not have had enough points.
Perhaps we will just use our units up there. But then again, I am ok until 2013...maybe the place will be sold by then. I really think they need to do a survey @ Harbour Inn.
I really think more & more owners will walk away from their resorts & that will make it very hard for the rest of the owners.

Enjoy the rest of your visit in South Korea.

I didn't get out to the TUG meeting on Oct.31 as we were in Scottsdale from Oct.24-Nov.7
Hope to see you at the next one. I will look forward to your presentation on South Korea!

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would really like to dump our blue week, but keep the red for now. From the limited time I have spent fooling around on the new site, it seems we can still get decent exchanges to LV and Orlando. I think the blue week will be a bust, but I haven't had time to really investigate. I'll call Mary when I get home and see what's up.

Dori

Harmina

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are still good trades to be had even with less points as long as you can travel last minute. We like to book our vacations at least a year in advance, so of course it takes more points, but if we wait, the higher demand areas won't be available.
I just don't like how the M.F.'s at Harbour Inn took such a drastic increase.
The HST is also a significant factor.

westrougers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading Power

Dori, hope you are having a great time on ur vacation.

Just went on to RCI and was overwhelmed by the changes. I am surprised there are not too many comments on TUG about how these impact trading power. I have lots of questions. For example one of my Durbans expires January but has an 18 trading power. Another which expires in 2012 has only a 9 rating. Also I am considering merging about 5 units to combine the points which seems like a viable option.

Anyways hopefully the more knowledgeable users on TUG will provide some comments so the rest of us can be enlightened.

Mke

Harmina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike...if you combine your points, just make sure you grab consecutive weeks if you end up with more than you need for the trade. Otherwise the remaining points go into a reserve pool that you can take out for a future exchange, but there is a charge of $116 + the $210 each time you use points from that pool to combine with another week that doesn't have enough points.
If for instance you had a resort that gave you 16 points & you required 17 points to get an exchange to wherever and you had 5 points in the reserve pool...it would cost $210. for the exchange fee for the week with the the 16 points plus $116. to use one point out of the reserve pool.