• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Activities in Berkshires

Corinne1123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to the Berkshires at the end of August. I'd like to plan a list of activities that we want to do. Any recommendations?
One thing on my list is to go to Tanglewood to see Boston Pops (or other concerts). Do I need to get tickets well in advance? I thought we could get the tickts for the grass area and have a picnic.

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, the Berkshires, one of our favorite places. Yes, Tanglewood is great and no, you do not need to get tickets in advance particularly for the grounds area. There are many plays and of course, Shakespeare in Lenox. We generally get play tickets at the half price booth in Great Barrington. There are several of the half price booths in the Berkshires. You can easily fill up a week with all the events in the Berkshires, plays, concerts, etc. Also, you can get into some great houses to tour, Edith Wharton's home as well as many others. We can get free passes for many tours including the Norman Rockwell studio from the library. We get ours at the Lee library near Oak and Spruce resort, but they are available at all libraries, (on a first come basis). This helps save a lot of money. Have a great time. It truly is a marvelouse cultural area. Pat
:whoopie:

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
berks

hi, another place to visit is the Jacobs Pillow dance festival in Becket and not too far a drive in the Berks . Lots of free events and great dance if you like it... at Tanglewood, go on a Sat or is it SUn morning for the open rehearsals.. its great and the pros dont make too many errors :) .... I cant remember which day but I think its SAT.... Norman Rockwell museum is great to visit and right down the road is the famous Red Lion Inn.. go walk around inside, lunch is nice or sit on the big porch in a grand ol rocker !!! Stockbridge is a nice little place to wander around the town too... enjoy!

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to the Berkshires at the end of August. I'd like to plan a list of activities that we want to do. Any recommendations?
One thing on my list is to go to Tanglewood to see Boston Pops (or other concerts). Do I need to get tickets well in advance? I thought we could get the tickts for the grass area and have a picnic.

I just confirmed a week at Oak and Spruce for the end of July and then checked reviews and they were not that great, but I took the exchange anyway mainly for the all of the activities available in the Berkshires.

This will be our first visit so would also like to get as much information as we can. Definitelyly want to see the Boston Pops and several plays and concerts.

Please keep the ideas and information flowing.:cheer: :shrug: :hi:

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Larry
Your Oak and Spruce unit may be ok or not. We always make sure we get a 2 bedroom for 6, privacy for 6, not 6,4. That puts us in the Presidential units which are nicer although certainly not deluxe. One of the issues with Oak and Spruce is that some of the units are not as clean as most of us would like, though certainly not disgustingly dirty.
We really like the location of this resort. It is close to Tanglewood and Stockbridge, the Berkshire theatre and not too far from Shakespeare either. While there are nicer resorts up in Hancock, we found it to be too far from what we enjoy. We will also be there in late july, early Aug. Let me know if you want to meet up. Don't forget to go to the Lee library where you can get free passes for many top houses, etc. We did Edith Wharton's last year as well as the one where the movie, Cider House Rules was filmed. (can't remember the name of the house. You will be so busy in the Berkshires, you won't be in your unit that much anyway. Be sure to send me a message should you care to meet for a hello.
:cheer: Pat

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Larry
Your Oak and Spruce unit may be ok or not. We always make sure we get a 2 bedroom for 6, privacy for 6, not 6,4. That puts us in the Presidential units which are nicer although certainly not deluxe. One of the issues with Oak and Spruce is that some of the units are not as clean as most of us would like, though certainly not disgustingly dirty.
We really like the location of this resort. It is close to Tanglewood and Stockbridge, the Berkshire theatre and not too far from Shakespeare either. While there are nicer resorts up in Hancock, we found it to be too far from what we enjoy. We will also be there in late july, early Aug. Let me know if you want to meet up. Don't forget to go to the Lee library where you can get free passes for many top houses, etc. We did Edith Wharton's last year as well as the one where the movie, Cider House Rules was filmed. (can't remember the name of the house. You will be so busy in the Berkshires, you won't be in your unit that much anyway. Be sure to send me a message should you care to meet for a hello.
:cheer: Pat

Hi Pat;

Our confirmation says 6/6 so will we be getting a presidential suite for sure? Perhaps I should call up the resort a week before to make sure that is what we are getting. Are you also staying at Oak and Spruce? We will be there with another couple and they are only staying for part of the week starting Friday July 29th so we can meet up with you at the resort during the week.

I will send you a private PM.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Corinne,

An acquintance of mine who's been vacationing in the Berkshires for many years told me to check out www.massvacation.com for making plans for things to do in the Berkshires.

If you're not familiar with that site, at their home page
on the lower right, click the "Explore by Region" link and then click on your links of interest from the Regional Tourism Councils.

Enjoy your visit.

Richard

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked Bently Brook II for a week in Sept. anyone been there? I have it on hold.

Corinne1123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The website is great. I think we will travel into Boston one day as well and there is information for all the Mass regions, plus you can order a travel guide. it looks like we will have more than enough to do.

w.bob

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked Bently Brook II for a week in Sept. anyone been there? I have it on hold.

We just returned from Bently Brook after 3 nts over the fourth of July weekend. The resort was nice. We were out most of the time so we cannot comment on the amenities of the resort. Our 2 br unit was clean and in decent condition. We had no issues with the accommodations. As stated above the Hancock area is far from most of the happenings around Stockbridge and the Lenox area.

rachel1998

Reaction score
Information on Berkshires

I keep seeing things about the Berkshires. Being from So. Calif. I don't know anything about this area. How far is this area from lets say Boston? What are the towns that have timeshares? I am looking for someplace to go next before I return the end of next year to California.
Thank you

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
we swithced to the Silverleaf resort becaue we heard Bently Brook was really way off the beaten path. hope we like it.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Norman Rockwell Museum and there is a Shaker Village in Hancock . Also, go up Mount Greylock. Red Lion Inn - historical - nice for lunch or dinner. We drove to Bennigton, VT, one day also.

shoney

Reaction score
We just went white water rafting with zoaroutdoor. It is about an hour from hancock. It was soooo much fun!!!! We did the zoar gap trip with a 10, 11, 39, 43, 61, 62 year olds and it was a blast for everyone!

We like staying in Hancock (vacation village) across from Jiminy Peak. I don't find it out of the way. The kids love going there for the 4 to 8 twilight ticket. There are plenty of restaurants within 20 minutes. We usually go out for lunch and BBQ at the place for dinner.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me a little more about your white water rafting experience? I know my family would love trying it, but I am really nervous about how safe it is. We are going back next summer and I am looking for different things to do, and maybe this would be an option. Thanks, Sue

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing things about the Berkshires. Being from So. Calif. I don't know anything about this area. How far is this area from lets say Boston? What are the towns that have timeshares? I am looking for someplace to go next before I return the end of next year to California.
Thank you

I too would like to know the best timeshare resorts & towns/villages in the Berkshires, for adults with no kids in tow. TIA!

shoney

Reaction score
Can you tell me a little more about your white water rafting experience? I know my family would love trying it, but I am really nervous about how safe it is. We are going back next summer and I am looking for different things to do, and maybe this would be an option. Thanks, Sue

Well we did the zoar gap one. You meet at 10:30 and they go over safety instructions. You then board a bus with your helmet and life preserver and oar and head to the starting point. This probably takes an hour. Most of the ride is floating with minimal rapids. There is one point that only takes a few minutes that is the "real" rapids...very fun. They stop along the shore and you get out for a homemade picnic lunch...hummus and salsa and chips, pasta salad and cold cut sandwiches. You then travel on again reaching your destination at about 3:00 to 3:30. They stop several times for those who want to jump off the boat and go swimming. The trip is for 7yo and up, but there was a little on who couldn't have been more than 5. Each boat holds up to 6 or 7 people. I would say there were about 8 boats in our trip, each with its own guide. It is safe, but hold on during those rapids! LOL

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did anyone fall out of the boat? Do you have a web site address where I could get some information? Thanks, Sue

shoney

Reaction score
Did anyone fall out of the boat? Do you have a web site address where I could get some information? Thanks, Sue

Ok..I'm not gonna lie, but 2 people did fall out. It isn't that bad though. they just pull you back in over the side. It wasn't in the rough part. You lock your feet in under the raft boat and there are ropes to hang on to. Believe me, it isn't that bad...I was a little taken back by the "talk", but it was really fun and not scary! Their website is www.zoaroutdoor.com

Sullco2

Reaction score
For adults in the Berkshires

In reality, Vacation Village has some kid friendly amenities, but not many. It is largely a huge grouping of fairly spacious lock-out condos. The kids' attractions are across the street at Jiminy Peak--may be a good thing for adults who are looking for a quieter place.

There are plenty of older visitors (child-free) enjoying the healthy walk down the long drive. Yes, you have to drive to many traditional Berkshire attractions, but Williamstown is just a fifteen minute drive north. It is the quintessential New England college town with a world class museum and an equally fine summer theater.

North Adams--just a few miles east of Williamstown--has one of the largest museums of contemporary art in the US.

If you don't mind driving a bit, Vacation Village would a decent alternative to Lenox, South Lee, etc. Oak and Spruce is crawling with kids. Crawling.

itisme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Norman Rockwell Museum and there is a Shaker Village in Hancock . Also, go up Mount Greylock. Red Lion Inn - historical - nice for lunch or dinner. We drove to Bennigton, VT, one day also.

Great shopping @ Lee Premium Outlets. We spent two full days shopping there in 2007. Also We hiked with lamas which was fun. My daughter and all her cousins loved it http://hawkmeadowinlee.com/.

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live about 1 1/2 hours from the Stockbridge area and have visited a number of places discussed here as day trips. But a number of them are new to us, and the links are greatly appreciated. About 1 hour east is Sturbridge Village, which is similar to Colonial Williamsburg but of a different era, moving closer to the pre-industrial age. Not far from the Norman Rockwell Museum is Chesterwood, where the sculptor of the Lincoln Memorial lived. There usually are free concerts on the lawn. Tanglewood is wonderful, don't forget about the Saturday rehearsals which are inexpensive, open seating, and you can come and go as you please. I've always wanted to go to Berkshire Botanical Garden but haven't made it there yet. Hancock Shaker Village is always a pleasure. To the north is The Clark Museum on the grounds of Williams College. They always have a well planned exhibit during the summer. To the east, for a day trip, is Lexington and Concord, and Walden Pond.

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you are a knitter, then do go to Northhampton (up 91) to Webbs, the American yarn store. It's like going to a Walmart with just yarn, patterns, etc. I easily spend 2 hours there. We have nothing, absolutely nothing like it in Pa.
Pat
:clap: