• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Grand Residence, South Lake Tahoe

bcottle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there in TUG land an owner at the Marriott Grand Residence in South Lake Tahoe? If so, I would like to hear from you. I haven't been able to locate a discussion of that resort on this system. Trading experiences, etc.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
There are several owners over on the VPE (linked below). You may wish to contact them there. Good luck!

Best,

Greg

Bnov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try reaching out to SnowDogDad via PM. You will find his responses on some older posts if you do an Advanced Search of TUG via Google.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would expect it to be a rather expensive trader. They were not sold as single week timeshares, but rather fractional. I think the smallest they sold was three weeks, or perhaps four. MFs would probably be pretty high. I see units sitting out on II pretty often. They charge owners and exchangers a parking fee.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hammer away i am an owner there. Owners at grand residence do not pay a parking fee for one vehicle. If you rent a unit from an owner you get free parking for one vehicle. If you trade in or rent from marriott you are charged parking. PM me your questions. Thanks

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I would expect it to be a rather expensive trader. They were not sold as single week timeshares, but rather fractional. I think the smallest they sold was three weeks, or perhaps four. MFs would probably be pretty high. I see units sitting out on II pretty often. They charge owners and exchangers a parking fee.
Yes 3 weeks is the minimum to own there.

steve b

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 3 quatershares at MGR. My ownership began preconstruction when owned by American Ski Corp. Happy to answer questions. My main use is now for rentals on Vacation Point Exchange an excellent site

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own 3 quatershares at MGR. My ownership began preconstruction when owned by American Ski Corp. Happy to answer questions. My main use is now for rentals on Vacation Point Exchange an excellent site
Making good use of those tens pf thousands of dc points?
If i could enroll my quarter shares i would do the same!! Better than trying to rent the actual units.
Btw do you have to deposit all the weeks or can you choose to deposit specific weeks for dc points?

steve b

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can select whichever units you wish to exchange for destination club points and keep the rest for personal usage/rental or conversion of 2 weeks annually to marriott rewards points. I have always rented out my units through the Marriotts owner rental program unti the DC program was rolled out. My net rentals are much higher by renting out the DC points on VPE website. Since I own a 1 bedroom and two studios, the recent sweet spot for me has been, exchanging 2 weeks in each unit quatershare for marriott rewards points, 1 off season unit deposited in II, and the rest in DC points which are easy rentals. That gives me 500,000 marriott rewards points annually for which I redeem mostly for for 250k 5night vacation packages, and about a 200 percent return annually on the approximately 16k annual maintenance fee, a very decent residual income and lots of personal travel
steve b

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad the system works. I currently have a studio and 1br quarter each. Looking to add another studio and 1br soon. As soon as that happens i plan to enroll all 4 quarters in the dc points program by buying the required destination points. Then do the same for converting to mrp and dc points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Glad the system works. I currently have a studio and 1br quarter each. Looking to add another studio and 1br soon. As soon as that happens i plan to enroll all 4 quarters in the dc points program by buying the required destination points. Then do the same for converting to mrp and dc points.

Don't the weeks have to have been purchase from Marriott resale department, and within the year prior to when you purchase DC points? I would think it would take a rather hefty DC point purchase to buy the equivalent number of points...

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. Not sure if the original poster is still monitoring the thread.... I have been 'off-line' this summer moving from Hawaii to Colorado. Just getting back in the swing of things.

The GRCLT has a few options for 3-week ownership, a few options for 5 week ownership, but the majority of ownership options are 13-weeks per year. Your ownership is deeded and you have the same unit each time you occupy, but the weeks are different year-to-year. So, every 4th year, you get Christmas / New Years (for 13-week owners).

Marriott does offer an expensive option enroll weeks purchased after March 2013 in to DC. Expensive. I was quoted 5,000 trust points *plus* taxes *plus* a $5,000 enrollment fee. That option might make sense for some people, but not necessarily everyone.

I have 3 quarters of a 1-bedroom and then 1 quarter of a 3-bedroom. I originally bought in to the property because I wanted to go 2 or 3 times per year but the weeks I would want to occupy would vary. Except for a ski week or two, I have found my favorite times there to be off-season rather than high-season.

I use a 3rd party rental service that I'm happy with. I enrolled my 3-bedroom in DC and that gives me a LOT of excess DC points.

The property itself is in very excellent shape and, IMHO, run by one of the best Marriott management teams in the MVCI/MWC system. If you like to ski Heavenly, you can't beat the location. The property fronts on Lake Tahoe Blvd, but I have never had noise issues when I have stayed on that side. Both of my units face the pool and it is usually nosier, but it closes at 10pm.

If anyone is still curious, feel free to ask.