• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tug Advice needed

live4life

Reaction score
O.k....

We're thinking of going to Aruba during Presidents Week in 2016 or 2017. I have an OP 3br. I've already locked it off and rented the small lock off portion.

1) Can I deposit the remaining 2br portion into II?

2) If I deposit the 2br in Dec of 2015 and do a request, what are the chances of getting...
a) 1 br unit in any of the two resorts in Aruba either Feb 2016 or 2017?
b) a 2br unit in wether of those years?

3) Is it better to deposit the unit in II or go through Tug's website for an owner to owner exchange? Note the week is reserved for President's week 2016.

Thank you....

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Hmmm...I think at this point you're much more likely to get a 1 BR for 2016 and have much better chance for the 2BR in 2017. However, because of school calendar issues, you may luck eot next year; because Labor Day is so late, and Easter and Passover are so separated next year, I've been to,d that many of the schools in the NE ( where a lot of the people who bought the Plat. plus week at the SC are from) are not closed for the week, so that might affect availability, but regardless getting a 2BR holiday week 6-7 months out may be tough.

If you're ok with 2017, Id request a 2BR at the OC and the SC for both 2016 and 2017. You'll be in line when the first deposits are made for 2017, if the 2016 doesn't match.
Of course, if a 1 BR works and you'd prefer next year, then add that in. If you match the 1BR, you can keep checking on II for a studio for the same date and they'll add it, and if the units are the same view at the same resort Marriott will usually combine them.

Good luck- you'll love it. Just make sure you are aware of how high the holiday week airfare can be there.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon...

Why would anyone who owns a presidents week 2 bedroom in Aruba even consider depositing in II...

My brother owns 2 of those...

He has 2 better options if he doesn't occupy....

#1 rent for $$$ and use the $$$ obtained for a rental elsewhere with $$$

#2 exchange for DC points..even with skim he can almost get 2 weeks elsewhere or at least a like for like on a straight exchange...

He has either used the unit or has used options 1 or 2...

Deposit of 2 bedroom Plat Plus Aruba will almost certainly result in down trade...

I think the OP's chances are slim ..might have been better if he kept the OP 3 bedroom intact and traded that!!!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
good afternoon...

Why would anyone who owns a presidents week 2 bedroom in Aruba even consider depositing in II...

My brother owns 2 of those...

He has 2 better options if he doesn't occupy....

#1 rent for $$$ and use the $$$ obtained for a rental elsewhere with $$$

#2 exchange for DC points..even with skim he can almost get 2 weeks elsewhere or at least a like for like on a straight exchange...

He has either used the unit or has used options 1 or 2...

Deposit of 2 bedroom Plat Plus Aruba will almost certainly result in down trade...

I think the OP's chances are slim ..might have been better if he kept the OP 3 bedroom intact and traded that!!!

Not everyone is aware or wants to take the time to squeeze every cent of value from their ownership like us on TUG. I am sure more people than we know deposit super high demand weeks in to II.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah this one wasn't well thought out. I retreat. :)

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

going to respectfully disagree here...

I don't believe somebody purchased Presidents week in Aruba on a whim... It requires thought and careful planning and a serious investment of capital. I don't think its arrogance and elitism to maximize value. I just don't think that owner is putting it "back int he pool" for someone else to enjoy!!!

I think this also applies to owners of Platinum and holiday ski and Hawaii weeks...

Perhaps, someone on this forum can give an example of Presidents week Aruba being seen or traded for in II...

I believe that high end owners are very generous and do make contributions to great causes. I also believe that owners of these weeks might donate to friends, family and charities but I just don't believe they drop these weeks randomly into II...

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't own in Aruba but I do own a Plat Pres week in MFC. I don't think I'd ever deposit it in II. I had an injury a few years ago and I had to rent it last minute, about 60 days before checkin. I got less than what some units were going for but about $1300 over the MF. I would have turned it in for DC points (4900) but it was too late to do that.

Since the OP already split the unit and can't turn it in for DC points I would think the best option is to rent it and use the money to purchase sufficient DC points on TUG or VPE to get what is desired at Aruba. If the OP does that I would check for availability with DC points before executing that plan.

If all that doesn't work out or is too much finagling then by all means deposit in II but don't expect to trade back in to Aruba at this juncture as we are pretty far past the point where most folks have made their reservations and bought their airfare for next winter.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
As someone who has tried unsuccessfully for years to get a 2BR President's Week in Aruba for my 2BR MGV platinum week, and that was even before points came into being, I'm just going to say "good luck with that".

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon...

p.s..

getting "Fair" value for ones timeshare and understanding when you have a primo property is neither "arrogant" or elitist"..

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
good afternoon...

p.s..

getting "Fair" value for ones timeshare and understanding when you have a primo property is neither "arrogant" or elitist"..

Agreed.

I have a plat Ocean Watch. The only times i have used it to trade in II is when I was looking for week of equal or greater value. I have traded it for a Christmas week in Ocean Pointe, in easter week At Surf Club and a summer week in Newport Coast. Other that that I either use it myself of rent in out for a profit.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
You might get lucky getting a high value week from non-Tuggers. I'm embarrassed to say the first year I owned my Frenchman's Cove holiday weeks, I exchanged them for Reward points. The second year, I used one and deposited the 2 BR in Interval and exchanged it for a 1 bedroom in Cabo in May! There is indeed a sucker born every minute!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
You might get lucky getting a high value week from non-Tuggers. I'm embarrassed to say the first year I owned my Frenchman's Cove holiday weeks, I exchanged them for Reward points. The second year, I used one and deposited the 2 BR in Interval and exchanged it for a 1 bedroom in Cabo in May! There is indeed a sucker born every minute!

You are apparently not arrogant nor elitist. :D

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Your are apparently not arrogant nor elitist. :D
I'd rather be arrogant and elitist than stupid enough to trade a $4,000 rental unit for a $500 one. Ouch. At least we got a full week in Cancun all inclusive at the Marriott hotel for the reward points the first year, though I could have rented my weeks for $9,000 and gone to Hawaii.

This timesharing takes TUG and a lot of practice to see what works best.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'd rather be arrogant and elitist than stupid enough to trade a $4,000 rental unit for a $500 one. Ouch. At least we got a full week in Cancun all inclusive at the Marriott hotel for the reward points the first year, though I could have rented my weeks for $9,000 and gone to Hawaii.

My first two years of trades were similar, BUT on a much lower scale. Depositing two 2BR Orlando weeks to trade back in to Orlando. I could have instead locked off and got two 2BR units from the studios and used the 1BR units later for other trades.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

That's why I like the DC exchange option so much more than II. As someone who's not interested in getting involved in the timeshare rental market, giving up a 3BR SurfWatch Week for exchange in II always meant accepting a downtrade in return. At least with DC Points I can manage them to get something more than II ever gave me.

I'm no sucker and not stupid, either. :D But like a few other savvy TUGgers I'm just not interested in the timeshare rental market. If it works for you, great - but my acceptable alternative to II is the DC.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would agree that Destination Points are a better option, but it was 2008 and 2009 and we didn't have DP back then. I understand people not wanting to bother with renting but I'm in real estate and have rented my own vacation condos for years so it isn't a hassle for me. Still when I first bought timeshares, it never occurred to me to rent them. TUG taught me that!