• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Water at Ocean Pointe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Has anyone else experienced green water when running the bath at Ocean Pointe (probably the shower and sink too but it's difficult to judge)?

I ran the bath for the kids but was a bit perturbed by the green tinge to the water.

As an aside, we were given a two bedroom lock off with a king instead of twin beds. We were expecting a full two bedroom villa with twin beds in the second bedroom however according to the manager such a layout doesn't exist. She claimed the only units with twin beds are the three bedroomed oceanfront units. We don't like the kids being in a lock off for a number of reasons and we particularly wanted twin beds which according to their website they offer. I get the feeling the manager is being less than honest. Can anyone refute her claim?

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced green water when running the bath at Ocean Pointe (probably the shower and sink too but it's difficult to judge)?

I ran the bath for the kids but was a bit perturbed by the green tinge to the water.

As an aside, we were given a two bedroom lock off with a king instead of twin beds. We were expecting a full two bedroom villa with twin beds in the second bedroom however according to the manager such a layout doesn't exist. She claimed the only units with twin beds are the three bedroomed oceanfront units. We don't like the kids being in a lock off for a number of reasons and we particularly wanted twin beds which according to their website they offer. I get the feeling the manager is being less than honest. Can anyone refute her claim?
Can't answer about the water, but the only dedicated 2 bedrooms are part of the 3 bedroom as the mgr mentioned. This has kept me away from that resort as we have 3 little ones 5 and under, so we aren't about that lock off life at this point! Was this an II exchange(and if so, what was your view code) or did you book on points?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Even if you booked a 2BR OF unit, there is a chance it would only have two king beds. There are 2BR lock off OF units and then the 2BR master side of the 3BR OF lock off. Only the 2BR master side of the 3BR has two twin beds in the second bedroom. If you are booked or confirmed in to a 2BR Ocean Side, they all have a king in the second bedroom.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can't answer about the water, but the only dedicated 2 bedrooms are part of the 3 bedroom as the mgr mentioned. This has kept me away from that resort as we have 3 little ones 5 and under, so we aren't about that lock off life at this point! Was this an II exchange(and if so, what was your view code) or did you book on points?

We exchanged through II, I don't know what the view code was. Looking at the website there is nothing that states twin beds are only available in three bedroomed units. Somewhat misleading and if we'd known beforehand we wouldn't have exchanged.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We have never had an issue with the water at Ocean Pointe, though we have never run a bath. So we don't see the water in a concentrated form. Just as a shower or running the tap where a green tinge would not be as obvious. However, it is Florida, and for us Florida has bad water. Not bad in that you can't drink it or bath in it. It just doesn't taste that good.

As to the unit. There are plenty of threads here about the unit configurations and also many experts as to the different unit configurations. Sorry to hear that things aren't working out as expected, but you can't rely on Marriott.com or ever MVCI to show the different nuances of all the possible unit types available. Only the experts at TUG really know that. Or a call to the resort ahead of time.

BTW, the couches do pull out and from experience they are rather comfortable to sleep on. They should have the new memory foam mattress types.

Last edited:

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the papers you got at check-in. The General Manager addresses the color of the water in her welcome letter.

This subject is brought up among owners and other guests on a fairly regular basis. We have been going there since 2000. You will hear the color of the water is due to naturally occurring tannins. My cup of morning tea has tannins in it. Think of it as a tea bath.

For us who get (relatively) clean drinking water from the tap it's not what you see but what you don't see that is a concern. Here's just one common practice that questionable: http://blog.drbrownstein.com/water-fluoridation-a-u-s-public-health-disaster/

Then there's reports of drug dumping from medical facilities that doesn't get filtered out by local water systems: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/drugs-in-our-drinking-water

There are several locations on the OP property that offer filtered water for drinking and cooking.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
I think that anyone that knows or has interacted with Ocean Pointe’s general manager, would have a hard time believing the she was “less than truthful”
She is a very nice lady and has done a great job at Ocean Pointe over the years and has earned the respect of hundreds of owners there.
To the best of my knowledge she was very truthful in her explanation to you.

I hope the ambiance and amenities of this lovely resort overshadow your dissatisfaction.
Mike

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Check the papers you got at check-in. The General Manager addresses the color of the water in her welcome letter.

This subject is brought up among owners and other guests on a fairly regular basis. We have been going there since 2000. You will hear the color of the water is due to naturally occurring tannins. My cup of morning tea has tannins in it. Think of it as a tea bath.

For us who get (relatively) clean drinking water from the tap it's not what you see but what you don't see that is a concern. Here's just one common practice that questionable: http://blog.drbrownstein.com/water-fluoridation-a-u-s-public-health-disaster/

Then there's reports of drug dumping from medical facilities that doesn't get filtered out by local water systems: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/drugs-in-our-drinking-water

There are several locations on the OP property that offer filtered water for drinking and cooking.

Thanks Quilter, I checked the welcome letter but there was no mention of the water. I have however researched tannins in water supply and this would appear to be the reason for the colour. I'm still not drinking it though as it tastes horrible but I'm happy to bathe in it.

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
[... and we particularly wanted twin beds which according to their website they offer. I get the feeling the manager is being less than honest. Can anyone refute her claim?[/QUOTE]

If you go to the MVC website, and then to the page for Ocean Pointe in the resort directory, and then click on the link for the "Two-Bedroom Villa Floorplan", it shows king beds in both bedrooms.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I believe the water in many areas of South Florida has a yellowish/greenish color to it. Most Marriott's we have stayed at indicate this fairly well.

We were at Ocean Pointe recently and remember seeing it noted somewhere, perhaps in the welcome package? At Beachplace last year, I recall small signs within the villas.

While not unhealthy, it is a little odd if you haven't seen it before. We have no problems using it for bathing and/or cooking, but we choose to fill water bottles for drinking via the "Hydration Stations" Ocean Pointe has around the resort. Or we just buy a few gallons of water from the grocery. Really a taste preference vs health.

Enjoy Ocean Pointe, it's one of our favorites!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that anyone that knows or has interacted with Ocean Pointe’s general manager, would have a hard time believing the she was “less than truthful”
She is a very nice lady and has done a great job at Ocean Pointe over the years and has earned the respect of hundreds of owners there.
To the best of my knowledge she was very truthful in her explanation to you.

I hope the ambiance and amenities of this lovely resort overshadow your dissatisfaction.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I guess dealing with various managers over the years who aren't entirely honest makes you a bit cynical.

As for the resort we're very happy with it, comparable to the main HHI oceanfront resorts with the added benefit of being easier to exchange into. Plenty of activities, friendly staff, good pools and amenities and a great location makes this a 'return resort'. We're very happy to be spending two weeks here.

I would welcome some recommendations for nearby supermarkets/stores as the fresh produce selection at the local Publix is abysmal.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks Mike, I guess dealing with various managers over the years who aren't entirely honest makes you a bit cynical.

As for the resort we're very happy with it, comparable to the main HHI oceanfront resorts with the added benefit of being easier to exchange into. Plenty of activities, friendly staff, good pools and amenities and a great location makes this a 'return resort'. We're very happy to be spending two weeks here.

I would welcome some recommendations for nearby supermarkets/stores as the fresh produce selection at the local Publix is abysmal.

For fresh produce, I would recomend C&D Produce. They have a location in Palm Beach Gardens. It is a bit of a drive and isn't flashy like Publix, but they have a great selection of fresh fruit, vegetables and other produce. Hard to beat two avocados for $1.50 or 20 limes for $1.

http://cdproduce.com/pbgardens.html

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For fresh produce, I would recomend C&D Produce. They have a location in Palm Beach Gardens. It is a bit of a drive and isn't flashy like Publix, but they have a great selection of fresh fruit, vegetables and other produce. Hard to beat two avocados for $1.50 or 20 limes for $1.

http://cdproduce.com/pbgardens.html

20 limes for $1!!!!! I pay that for one at home!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We typically stop at Costco for our produce, wine, and pre-prepared meals when we stay at Ocean Pointe or Oceana Palms. Although I can't recall the street name, it is the highway exit between Heron and PGA and is east of the interstate and west of HWY 1.

For restaurants, I recommend Carmines La Trattoria on PGA. They have a nice market as well. Enjoy your stay.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We typically stop at Costco for our produce, wine, and pre-prepared meals when we stay at Ocean Pointe or Oceana Palms. Although I can't recall the street name, it is the highway exit between Heron and PGA and is east of the interstate and west of HWY 1.

For restaurants, I recommend Carmines La Trattoria on PGA. They have a nice market as well. Enjoy your stay.

I think the street name you are looking for is North Lake Blvd.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Aldi is also great, but the closest one is a further drive than Costco and other options. On our last trip where we had 7 people traveling I hit Costco, C&D Produce and Aldi to get everything. Though I didn't cook any pre-prepared meals. Could do it next time without Aldi, but there are so many things at Aldi that we like and their prices are better than just about anywhere.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Another decent market is Joseph's Classic Market. Not quite as dear (pricewise), as Carmine's...but worth the ride.
It's in the 4400 block of Northlake Blvd, Palm Beach Gardens.
Mike

mj2vacation

Reaction score
Another great place to shop is Trader Joe's. It's on PGA

The Costco there is also great, and the have their Kirkland Brand vodka, for $13, smooth enough to drink on the rocks. I would compare with Other top brands, but for $13..........

As to the water, we were at Oceana Palms last week and Chris, the GM said they were installing equipment to improve water quality. He stated that they have much higher maintenance costs due to the hard water, and the softener system will improve the quality, while also reducing maintenance. Not sure if OP is doing the same.

That being said, we focus more on that crystal blue water right in front of the resort. We spent hours each day in the surf, and rarely had rain, an odd occurrence in July.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the store recommendations. Am I correct in thinking that Costco requires a membership? It certainly does in the UK.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the store recommendations. Am I correct in thinking that Costco requires a membership? It certainly does in the UK.

Yes, but I think their membership is global. So if you are a member of any club in any country, you can use it to access a club in any country.

I don't believe Costco allows day passes where you can pay an upcharge to purchase goods. Sam's Warehouse does provide this type of day pass. Users pay 10% more for anything they buy.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That being said, we focus more on that crystal blue water right in front of the resort. We spent hours each day in the surf, and rarely had rain, an odd occurrence in July.

Not sure I would consider the water in West Palm Beach to be crystal blue. At least not after seeing the water in many other places like Cancun, Aruba or even the Bahamas.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score

We were at Ocean Pointe in March. Although we believe that we caught this elsewhere, the NEXT time we are there (yes, we will go back) we will drink ONLY bottled water - even to brush our teeth. Although we will never know for certain, and at this point are blaming something we ate at the ballpark - we both contracted H Pylori bacteria. Doubt it could live in the pools. It is almost August, and we both STILL are going thru all kinds of gastro tests, meds, etc. Came home with terrible stomach pains, cramps, etc. - not *turista* - but pain. Husband (he was worse than me) now has many pinpoint ulcers, but in general is feeling more normal - super-duper meds and probiotics (far stronger than what we usually take) has helped. But there is NO DOUBT - we both got sick while there, and the only things we ate that were NOT fine dining or made by us from scratch, were at the ballpark - and there was the funky tap water. So now we are gun-shy - and will not eat most things at a Spring Training game again. This year - Tampa, to see our beloved Yankees - next year, back to Arizona, to see teams and great parks out there.

So - not the kind of souvenir we wanted to bring home - but we do nto think it was the fault of Ocean Pointe - it is US that are just queasy about colored water. We3 also bring Brita pitchers and Brits filtered water bottle with us - and still e buy bottled water ONLY when we travel, even in the US. We live in the Hudson Valley, and have some of the best natural tap water anywhere - just defeated a bottling plant wanting to come in and BUY this precious commodity from us.

Mamianka

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would consider the water in West Palm Beach to be crystal blue. At least not after seeing the water in many other places like Cancun, Aruba or even the Bahamas.

Actually the clarity of the ocean water varies depending on the time of year and the storm activity. It's generally much clearer in the summer months. A few years ago I was talking to an Aruba owner while we were in the water and he couldn't believe how clear the water was. He commented that it was as clear as in Aruba.

On that particular day it was clear, as clear as St Thomas. When we used to go in the OCT-NOV timeframe it was it's normal clarity for the East coast. Look down about a foot and everything disappears into blue green fog. The ocean activity is much calmer in the summer and it resembles a lake more than an ocean on some days.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the recommendations however I discovered Whole Foods whilst at the outlets :D, I must have spent 20 minutes in the beer aisle alone!