• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bundled Packages

thetangs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers,

I have a plat. MOW that is enrolled and am looking to add some DC points to help with flexibility and get us into the executive level to allow for the 13-month reservation window. I see a number of options, but the one that I am not finding much information on are the so-called bundled packages of a traditional week with some points added it. I have been unsuccessful at calling Marriott's resale line and am looking for some help from you.

Among the options we are looking at.
1. 3,500 purchase thru Marriott at roughly $10.60/pt.
2. Buying a 1,500 contract resale. Gives us points, but not executive level. High junk fees makes this far less desirable, but it is $4/pt cheaper.
3. The elusive bundle package that I don't seem to be able to get solid information on.

In advance, thank you awesome TUGGERS.

Chris

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bundled package is when you buy a traditional week from Marriott resale department and buy an equivalent number of DC points from Marriott within 12 months. The Marriott-purchased resale week will then get enrolled into DC. The resale department will facilitate both purchases/sale.

The resale week contract will show how many DC points will need to be purchased.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hi Tuggers,

I have a plat. MOW that is enrolled and am looking to add some DC points to help with flexibility and get us into the executive level to allow for the 13-month reservation window. I see a number of options, but the one that I am not finding much information on are the so-called bundled packages of a traditional week with some points added it. I have been unsuccessful at calling Marriott's resale line and am looking for some help from you.

Among the options we are looking at.
1. 3,500 purchase thru Marriott at roughly $10.60/pt.
2. Buying a 1,500 contract resale. Gives us points, but not executive level. High junk fees makes this far less desirable, but it is $4/pt cheaper.
3. The elusive bundle package that I don't seem to be able to get solid information on.

In advance, thank you awesome TUGGERS.

Chris

Chris,

If you decide to add points, you may find your "best" option is to buy a 2,000 point package that is bundled with a legacy week (such as a 3BR GV EOY) that is worth 3,725 points every other year. That will likely cost average you down to approx $7/point.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Chris,

If you decide to add points, you may find your "best" option is to buy a 2,000 point package that is bundled with a legacy week (such as a 3BR GV EOY) that is worth 3,725 points every other year. That will likely cost average you down to approx $7/point.

Best,

Greg

We're not in the market for more points now, but if we ever decide we just have to get Executive level, the Platinum 3BR Grande Vista EOY looked like the best way to do that. The cost/point was around $7 and the MF/point was also reasonable.

But I have not seen a Platinum 3BR GV EOY listed on the Marriott Resales site since last fall. I don't look frequently since we are not currently in the market, but one has never been available recently any of the random times I've looked.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We're not in the market for more points now, but if we ever decide we just have to get Executive level, the Platinum 3BR Grande Vista EOY looked like the best way to do that. The cost/point was around $7 and the MF/point was also reasonable.

But I have not seen a Platinum 3BR GV EOY listed on the Marriott Resales site since last fall. I don't look frequently since we are not currently in the market, but one has never been available recently any of the random times I've looked.

Where is the Marriott Resales website located? :shrug:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
One thing I've never understood is why there is no mention of being able to enroll the weeks if you purchase DC points within a year on the resale web site. To me that's the biggest advantage of buying through Marriott Resale compared to a regular resale. However, they proclaim how many MR points it's worth which is a worthless benefit in my eyes.

Ian

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
One thing I've never understood is why there is no mention of being able to enroll the weeks if you purchase DC points within a year on the resale web site. To me that's the biggest advantage of buying through Marriott Resale compared to a regular resale. However, they proclaim how many MR points it's worth which is a worthless benefit in my eyes.

Ian

It does mention it, just without noting the within 12 months limitation. On the page Sue linked to above it says:

Ability to participate in the Marriott Vacation Club DestinationsTM Exchange Program (requires purchase of Vacation Club Points)

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Wow all the times I've read that page and never noticed that sentence.

Ian

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does mention it, just without noting the within 12 months limitation. On the page Sue linked to above it says:

Ability to participate in the Marriott Vacation Club DestinationsTM Exchange Program (requires purchase of Vacation Club Points)

I don't think they want to explicitly encourage resale purchases when they consumers can be had for full retail.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chris,

Best,

Greg

I was considering a bundled package a couple of weeks ago while at SurfWatch. At that point I was told that I had to purchase the equivalent number of points that the resale week was valued at. So, using the 3BR GV EOY example, I would have had to purchase 3,725 points along with the GV direct resale.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I was considering a bundled package a couple of weeks ago while at SurfWatch. At that point I was told that I had to purchase the equivalent number of points that the resale week was valued at. So, using the 3BR GV EOY example, I would have had to purchase 3,725 points along with the GV direct resale.

Cory,

That's interesting, and would be a change in policy. It used to be that you only had to match 50% of 3,725 points EOY, perhaps they've discovered this is as close to a justifiable developer purchase as exists, and are closing it?

Thanks for the note.

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Cory,

That's interesting, and would be a change in policy. It used to be that you only had to match 50% of 3,725 points EOY, perhaps they've discovered this is as close to a justifiable developer purchase as exists, and are closing it?

Thanks for the note.

Best,

Greg

I think that's the difference, Cory maybe doesn't recognize that your example is of an Every-Other-Year Week? I don't believe any SW Weeks were sold as EOY usage so his Bundle Package would of course require the full amount of DC Points for which the SW Week would be eligible, while you could purchase at least half the full amount up to any required minimums or desired amounts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Cory,

Thanks for the note.

Best,

Greg

That policy is what I think made EOY weeks rather desirable on for Marriott "direct" resales. A week normally worth 3000 points could be purchased resale along with 1,500 direct Trust points. Made the EOY weeks rather desirable. I wonder if it was perhaps just a sales rep at SurfWatch that was misinformed since they didn't sell EOY week there?

In fact, I didn't think they sold EOY weeks at any of the South Carolina properties (Myrtle Beach included). That was until I saw one entry in the ROFR database for an EOY week at Barony Beach Club. I confirmed with the owner that it was EOY. It seems that these are very rare though.

del2327

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's been a change in policy unless it's a very recent change. About 9 months ago, we purchased a 3 BR EOY at Grande Vista and, if we wanted to enroll the week, we only had to purchase one half of the total points. However, since the week was worth 3725 points, 2000 points were required since points are sold in increments of 250.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cory,

Thanks for the note.

Best,

Greg

I apologize for the confusion. The sales rep indicated that we had to purchase the equivalent number of annual points. So that would be in line with what you described (half the EOY allocation). We didn't talk EOY options and it slipped right past me. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Cory

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did exactly this scenario... spanning mid-2013 to mid-2014 for all the transactions. Plat 3BR EOY at GV + Points. 1800 points I believe was matching requirement but we bought 2500 to get per point discount incentive. We also leveraged an Encore package we previously purchased towards the points purchase price, plus got the cruise, stay and points components of the Encore (thus free). The Resale purchase of GV as a separate transaction also yielded a 50k MRP bonus at the time.

We ended up in a blended $7ish/pt plus the encore trips and MRP. Happy overall with how this worked out!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We did exactly this scenario... spanning mid-2013 to mid-2014 for all the transactions. Plat 3BR EOY at GV + Points. 1800 points I believe was matching requirement but we bought 2500 to get per point discount incentive. We also leveraged an Encore package we previously purchased towards the points purchase price, plus got the cruise, stay and points components of the Encore (thus free). The Resale purchase of GV as a separate transaction also yielded a 50k MRP bonus at the time.

We ended up in a blended $7ish/pt plus the encore trips and MRP. Happy overall with how this worked out!

How has your experience been in trying to use the cruise voucher?

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely not all it was described to be. Availability was there for lots of options, but the actual value towards the cost was not much. Instead of a 7 night we ended up booking a 4 night that gave us a better room with minimal overage cost. Overall displeased with what was described -> actual value, but the cert redemption process itself was fine and the booking with OVS went without issue. At the end of the day it was "free" since we applied all the Encore cost towards the points purchase... so it still was a bonus.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So what was the out the door price on the package?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I had to do some digging... my "package" was self-created and spread over a year's timeline... here's my breakdown:

6/13 - Encore package for 4 night return to Oceana Palms + 7 night cruise $1899

10/13 - Purchased Grande Vista 3BR Plat EOY Even from MR Resale ($6300 + $457.60 closing)

3/14 - Purchased 2500 DC points discounted at $10.18 ( $25,450 - Encore $1899 package credit + $972.28 closing)

3/14 - Enrolled MGV week for no cost after closing of DC points

So my EOY yields 3725 DC points, or divide for "annual" calculation at 1863 + 2500 Annual DC purchased = 4363 "annual" points

$33,179.88 spent / 4363 points = $7.60 per point
Plus we stayed at Oceana Palms for 4 nights "free" and used the Cruise certificate

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I also got 100k MRP's in this process too... 50k from the MGV resale purchase and another 50k from the Encore return visit....

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thanks. This will be a great post for the new points vs weeks questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk