• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me find the perfect first Timeshare!

bluechip68

Reaction score
Here are some questions you can answer to focus your timeshare wants/needs.

If you click on QUOTE at the end of my post, the questions will open up in a new window for you to answer:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Caribbean or Mexico

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
4) How many people do you usually travel with? 3

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
mostly christmas week and 4th july week
not that far
1 week 4th of july, 5 days xmas
10-30k
1-2k
not really
yes

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are not a good candidate to buy a timeshare:

-Christmas and the 4th of July weeks are the 2 highest demand weeks of the year. To get those every year, you need to buy fixed weeks for those specific weeks at the resort you want to visit. In other words, you need a fixed Christmas week, and a fixed 4th of July week, which guarantees you a reservation for those dates.

-Timesharing demands advanced planning - especially for the high demand weeks that you want.

-If you aren't a detailed oriented planner, you will be frustrated with all the things you have to learn about timesharing.

-Timesharing works best for 7 night reservations. Really difficult to get 5 night stays for Christmas or 4th of July.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For this person, and for a first timeshare, and with the wherewithal to pay $10,000 to $30,000 (!!!) desiring Christmas and/or July 4th week(s) in top (5*) resorts, the only answer is a developer purchased fixed week.

One might find something comparable in resale, but it wouldn't be easy, and would certainly take very competitive bidding in the usual auction sites.

If the OP was willing to plan ahead with floating weeks and reserve at the one-year-out point, they could save $9,999 to $29,999 because darn nice Mexican and Caribbean resorts can be had any day of the week for $1.

Jim

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
My friend....

Rent and be happy. Timeshares are not for you.

Developer or not: You are seeking unicorns that can be very elusive.

Rent for a few years. Still want exactly those same dates/locations/times? Then consider buying fixed week at very high $$$.

JMHO

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I concer with other responses, we bought our first timeshare at a small resort 4th of July week. Paid$4,500. For a one bedroom fixed week, we were young, just starting a family, and the idea of a week at a timeshare in Vermont was too good to pass up. We kept that timeshare for 30 year RTU and traded it many times, but we also stayed there too! The trade power was great and usually great weather when we stayed at home resort. Look at resales in TUG marketplace you may be able to find a 4 th of July or Christmas week that will work for you. good Luck
Silentg

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have multiple fixed week 52s (at least 5). I have 2 fixed week 27 and 1 fixed week 26 .... all brought RESALE and are like 3 to 4 star resorts.

And I have 1 fixed week 51 ... which I put into points because it did not rent well nor could I use ANY year .. just too much "go visit the family demand".

I would recommend one or two fixed deeded weeks ... whose underlying deed is either Christmas(51) or NYE (52) and/or one either July 4th (either week 26 or 27) at an RCI points resort. My RCI points weeks are lockoff units ... and I usually plan on using the one larger side and use the small side (combining 2 small units) into a large side for a 3rd week of vacationing.

My MFs are under $850 per week ... but the RCI points resort has a great location .. but is either a high 3 star or a low 4 star. The others are Wyndham resorts.

You can FIND these in the resale world ... converted (either Wyndham points or RCI points) to points cost MORE money than a straight fixed week.

As for 5* ... MFs will be much more. Maybe newer resorts with many fancy items (swim up bar, golf course, onsite dining, higher thread count on the sheets) ... decide if you really MUST HAVE a maintenance bill paying for those items or extra money to travel more.

Read my list of ownership on my avatar ... not Miami but dang close.

Last edited:

bluechip68

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. We just got back from Cabo and they tried to sell us on the idea. Looking at the secondary market, it seems like you can get a really good deal. It appears from the responses that we are probably not good candidates. We usually spend between 6-10k on our vacations so I thought it might make sense to look at them.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend one or two fixed deeded weeks ... whose underlying deed is either Christmas(51) or NYE (52) and/or one either July 4th (either week 26 or 27) at an RCI points resort.

I pretty much agree with this approach. I also owned a Fixed Week in North Myrtle Beach which either included Labor Day or the week after Labor Day depending on the year. When it included Labor Day, I would often rent it out. When the week after Labor Day, I would use it for the peace and quiet as the masses were gone.

George

Go2Hal

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW

I have multiple fixed week 52s (at least 5). I have 2 fixed week 27 and 1 fixed week 26 .... all brought RESALE and are like 3 to 4 star resorts.

And I have 1 fixed week 51 ... which I put into points because it did not rent well nor could I use ANY year .. just too much "go visit the family demand".

I would recommend one or two fixed deeded weeks ... whose underlying deed is either Christmas(51) or NYE (52) and/or one either July 4th (either week 26 or 27) at an RCI points resort. My RCI points weeks are lockoff units ... and I usually plan on using the one larger side and use the small side (combining 2 small units) into a large side for a 3rd week of vacationing.

My MFs are under $850 per week ... but the RCI points resort has a great location .. but is either a high 3 star or a low 4 star. The others are Wyndham resorts.

You can FIND these in the resale world ... converted (either Wyndham points or RCI points) to points cost MORE money than a straight fixed week.

As for 5* ... MFs will be much more. Maybe newer resorts with many fancy items (swim up bar, golf course, onsite dining, higher thread count on the sheets) ... decide if you really MUST HAVE a maintenance bill paying for those items or extra money to travel more.

Read my list of ownership on my avatar ... not Miami but dang close.

your MF's are under 850.00 a week wow wish i had your money