• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] What have I done?? Change of heart

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So how does this apply to someone who bought a timeshare a year ago? :shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Sleepin - You are correct, rescinding is a viable tool, when exercised within the rescission period, and it is a strategy that we constantly recommend here on TUG.

A gentle suggestion - when you respond to a post, check the original posting date first.

Sleepin

Reaction score
I also found this email address through a search:

patrick.davis@diviresorts.com

I emailed him with the following:

Dear Sir,

Please be advised that a certified USPS express mail copy of the letter below has been sent to the Divi offices in Aruba and North Carolina. I have also attached scans of the rescission letter and front pages of the contracts for your convenience I would like to be contacted immediately regarding rescission of the contract.

To: Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort

Attn: General Manager

J. E. Irausquin Blvd. #93

Aruba

To: Divi Hotels Marketing, Inc.

6320 Quadrangle Dr.

Suite 210

Chapel Hill NC ( 27517-8078

To: RCI Points

P.O. Box 2099

Carmel, IN. 46082

Gentlemen:

Regarding Contract No. xxxxx for purchase of a timeshare at Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort as well as RCI Participation Points Participation Agreement #xxxxx. We are exercising our legal right to cancel this (these) contract(s).

We expect a full refund of our deposit of $xxxx.xx. I do not authorize any charges or inquiries to xxxxxxxxx checking account(s) or credit card(s).

Please confirm my legal rescission in writing.

Sleepin

Reaction score
Patrick Davis returned my email with the following:

I received letter requesting cancellation and forward request to Aruba.

Patrick Davis
Divi Collections

I then emailed him daily with the following:
Good Morning,

Regarding Contract No. xxxxx: I am emailing you to request the status of rescission. Please contact me as soon as possible.

Thank you sir,

Within a few days, I was emailed the amount that I would have to pay to rescind the contract (luckily in the $ hundreds, not the $ thousands). I then requested the number to be on an invoice and physically mailed (snail mail) to me. I sent a certified check back to Divi for the requested amount as I did not particularly want them to have my account information.

Once delivered, I sent Patrick the following email:
Patrick,

Please confirm that payment owed for complete rescission of contract #xxxx has been received.

I received an email back from Patrick Davis stating that my contract had been fulfilled. Success!!!

I apologize for this being on an old thread. I apologize for the length as well. If I have helped just one person with relief of a stressful experience, it was worth it in my opinion.
Moderators, if you desire to delete my posts....feel free. At least I tried. I am not opposed to Timeshares, I know a lot of you enjoy yours. I am just trying to help anyone out that might be in the situation I was in and come across this thread via a Google search (much like I did).

I was asked to give names, addresses and share my experience. I sure hope it helps someone!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sleepin, thank you for posting these details. It goes a long way toward clearing away possible doubts about your sincerity.

We have had possible scammers, and folks who have self-serving interests create new accounts here just to promote their own agendas.

We agree that helping people find ways to rescind unwanted, high pressure unaffordable timeshares whose sellers purposely hide such required information is a valuable assistance.

Again, thanks.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good Info, Sleepin - thank you.

Just so you know, many scammers promoting "dump your timeshare" schemes come to TUG and try to solicit victims. Although your intentions were good, your first approach sounded like one of these scammers, and that was our concern. The scammers ask people to contact them privately, because they don't want to reveal the scheme openly in the forum. They also use the search function, to find specific threads to reply to.

I understand that this is an old thread and it has been resolved.

However if this happens to someone else, I would be more than happy to share my experience with the Divi and how I successfully rescinded our contract.

Please email me (I am not a regular on this forum) and I will be happy to share the information that I gathered. You are not alone in the fight, it is a sickening feeling that I never want anyone else to have to go through.

Click my user name to the left and select "Send email". I will get back to you as soon as I possibly can.

Sleepin

Reaction score
Thank you.

I like to consider myself "professional" as well as a little bit "streetwise", I feel foolish for falling victim for something like this. Predatory is the term I use, but it is more than that. After having quite a few drinks (it was all inclusive :) ), neither my spouse or I were in any condition to make long-term financial decisions. Others can (and will) make the same mistake. Confusion sets in as the "oh no, what did I just do?" moment hits.

I wanted someone to be able to see this and at least have an idea on what can be done. There was not any of that for me. I found the email of one person that said he was successful at rescinding. Luckily for me, he was friendly and helpful enough to help point me in the right direction.

I have no malicious intent, no intent to defraud any company or individual. I just want to "pay my experience forward" to help the next guy/gal.

Denise, if this info needs to be in a separate thread, please let me know and I will make one. Or you could move it to a separate thread yourself if you so desire.

Be Excellent to Each Other

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Standing corrected...

Please accept my apology for initially doubting your sincerity and credibility upon viewing your first post on your first day of TUG registration.

It does indeed now seem that your intentions and goals are in fact noble and that my initial suspicions were unfounded and without merit. :eek:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
my apologies as well! kudos for providing some details to help future victims!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Sleepin said:
Within a few days, I was emailed the amount that I would have to pay to rescind the contract (luckily in the $ hundreds, not the $ thousands)

I am so happy that you were able to rescind but I question why you had to pay anything to do so since you were within the time frame for rescission. What were you paying for?

Sleepin

Reaction score

I am so happy that you were able to rescind but I question why you had to pay anything to do so since you within the time frame for rescission. What were you paying for?

Great question! This was the portion that was shady to me, but I was at the point where I just wanted to get it over with.

According to the invoice that I received, it was:
$XXX.00 non-refundable documentation fees
$XXX.00 three percent purchase price

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Great question! This was the portion that was shady to me, but I was at the point where I just wanted to get it over with.

According to the invoice that I received, it was:
$XXX.00 non-refundable documentation fees
$XXX.00 three percent purchase price
They obviously cheated you because the definition of rescission is for the contract to be canceled and both parties placed in the position they were in before there was ever a contract. I don't know if there is even a way to recover that money unless perhaps you could dispute it if it were on a credit card. If it was on a credit card I definitely would dispute it.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see that you paid by certified check. At least there is a record now if anyone finds this thread they will know what to avoid.

Tedbakacs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Divi properties have no 3 day right of rescission even though they are based in NC

I am so sorry to hear your story. My wife and I sat thru this presentation at the Divi Links and they are persistent and unethical. I wrote about this in something I posted the other day in TUG entitled "Brittany Spears, Cabo, purse and other sleazy timeshare tactics". The Divi was the booze and purse story. We went to four presentations, at four different resorts one rainy day and got $200 from each. I set an alarm at 90 minutes and told them thats all they had. When the alarm rang we collected our money and left.

I'm curious what happened with your deal since it did happen awhile ago. We did end up buying at the Divi Links and the Divi Phoenix, all second party. And we love them both. Reading TUG really educated us about the pitfalls of timeshares as well as talking to other people.

I believe in a saying I once heard that... "A smart man learns from his mistakes and a really smart man learns from the mistakes of others".