• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC owners - have you exchanged to Maui?

DG001

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC owners - have you exchanged your week through RCI or SFX to good resorts in Maui? If so, can you please tell how far out you deposited the week, exchange company, what you got and your experience in general? We are thinking of traveling there during Jan/Feb 2008... any info you can share..

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded through RCI into Kahana Falls six years ago and I've been trying to get back to Maui for the past 5 years.

Every year I have been offered several exchanges into Maui but reject them. Embassy comes through a quite a number of times but I just haven't been thrilled by the reviews. I'm sorry I can't remember the other 2 that usually pop-up through I believe one was in Kaanapali.

I keep trying to exchange in to a Kahana Falls 1bdrm but Hilton won't let me because a lot of owners complained out the size of the unit although my husband nad I thought it was just fine. And I've had no luck trying to get a 2-bdrm. I've heard that most owners trade the lock-off.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
You might consider a private exchange

I don't own HGVC, but my sister does, and sometimes I wish I did :D ...

Anyhow, if Maui is where you want to be for Jan/Feb 2008, you might consider a private exchange. Maybe someone who owns there wants to use your HGVC points for a 2008 reservation. You could book HHV and switch with them, or something like that.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Denise.

I did a direct exchange with my HGVC for Marriott Waiohai

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Also consider renting if you don't want to play the exchange game

Another option is to rent your HGVC out and use the rental proceeds to rent what you want on Maui...either from an owner or through a resort directly. You'd avoid the exchange fees too, and not have the stress of wondering if you'd get your exchange. Just an idea! It works great for us!

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:
Another option is to rent your HGVC out and use the rental proceeds to rent what you want on Maui...either from an owner or through a resort directly. You'd avoid the exchange fees too, and not have the stress of wondering if you'd get your exchange. Just an idea! It works great for us!

That's a really good ideal. I own at the Bay Club and HHV and I've been trying to get back to Maui.

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it's a huge amount of points, but theoretically you could get the Grand Wailea with Hhonors. I would like to stay there, I guess to see how the other half lives.

DG001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think SFX or HTS may come through?

Do you think SFX or Hawaii Timeshare Exchange may be able to get me something good in Maui? Does anyone know how many HGVC points it will cost me - or is it that I have to reserve the week first and then deposit it to SFX? But yes, private exchange does sound like a better option.