• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About to buy HGVC soon Help Please !

atlanticwatergate

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I did my home work on the HGVC point system. I won a Marco Island 2BR Charter Club TS on Ebay. I am looking for 5000 HGVC Club points.
The TS was described as Flex week which I thought was Gold therefore 5000 points-it also said it is deeded week 39 which on the HGVC grid is a silver week so would only get 3500 points. I relayed my confusion to the seller-qualitytimeshares-and he was helpful but i am still confused -IF I BUY THIS WILL I GET 5000 POINTS OR 3500 POINTS WHEN I JOIN HGVC????

Here is the reply from QualityTimeShares:

This is a GOLD ownership. The floating weeks are 1,2 & 17-51. The deeded week does not matter, it simply for inventory purposes only. If you were to convert this into HGVC points than you would get however many points that type of ownership is worth. This is a Gold Ownership[/FONT]

The HGVC link does not help, I need someone who knows the HGVC system including affiliates.

Thank You very much:wall:

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, when you relinquish the flex week for points, HGVC credits you with 5000 points.

Steve

Reaction score
When you own a floating "Flex" week at one of the Hilton affiliate resorts in Southwest Florida, it doesn't matter what week is listed on your deed. What does matter is the week you reserve each year at your home resort...in your case...Charter Club.

Because your week is a "Flex" week, you will need to choose a week and reserve it. Since the floating time at your resort includes both gold and silver weeks (and a platinum, week 51), you will need to reserve a gold week in order to get 5000 points. If you reserve a silver week, you will only get 3500 points. In order to get the week you want (ie, a gold week), you should fax your request to the Charter Club at least one year in advance. Then, after you have reserved your week, you can call HGVC and they will deposit the points that the week is worth into your account.

For example, I own a similar floating "Flex" week at Hurricane House. It is deeded as week 50...but that doesn't matter. My usage floats from week 16 through 51 each year. This time period at Hurricane House includes some gold weeks, some silver weeks, and one platinum week. Whatever the value of the week I deposit into HGVC each year = the number of HGVC points I will get (3500 for silver, 5000 for gold, or 7000 for platinum).

Each year, I have to fax a list of my top four choices of weeks for the year (out of all the "Flex" weeks from 16 through 51). I make sure and do this at least a year in advance, as each week of the year Hurricane House assigns the units for the next year. (During week 26 of this year...which is the Fourth of July...the staff will look at the owner requests and assign all of the units for week 26 of next year.) Therefore, if week 26 is one of my four choices for 2008, then I need to make sure that my reservation request form is sent to the resort BEFORE week 26 of this year.

You won't always get your first request...and since there is only one platinum week...it is not easy to get. But there are lots of gold weeks. If you request four gold weeks (and you are timely about it), then you will get one. You won't be stuck with silver.

So, let's say I request week 26 and I get it for 2008. I can then call HGVC and they will deposit 5000 points in my account in exchange for my week 26. Everything is cool.

If I get lazy, however, and don't put in my request until late this year (let's say December)...then it is possible that all of the gold weeks may have been taken for 2008 and I might be stuck with a silver week worth only 3500 points. If you're on the ball, you won't have this problem.

Steve

atlanticwatergate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve,

Thanks, that explains a lot. In my research in TUG I keep reading points are points with regard to HGVC. I actually want to vacation Easter week which is typically a gold week but not during the my Flex time. I assumed that I could use my points at ANY of the HGVC resorts that are available at Easter, Is this correct?

Thanks Again

Bernie

Steve

Reaction score
Bernie,

If you reserve a gold week, then yes, you can use your 5000 points to stay at any available two bedroom gold week through HGVC. If Easter week is gold where you want to travel, then you can reserve that week...if it is available.

However, Easter is a tough week to get in Southwest Florida. I would not expect to be able to trade into Easter week at any of the Hilton resorts on Marco or Sanibel on a regular basis. If you get it one year, be grateful...but you cannot expect to be able to do this.

HGVC is not a pure points system like WorldMark where everyone has an equal shot at all inventory. This is especially true for the HGVC affiliate resorts. The Easter weeks at the Southwest Florida Hilton affiliates were sold as "fixed unit, fixed week" ownership. This means that the owners have a right to use their weeks every year. It's only IF an owner decides to exchange his week through HGVC that a week becomes available.

Most owners of the prime winter & spring weeks on Sanibel and Marco use their weeks themselves. Others rent their weeks and are able to get top dollar for them. Still other owners exchange their weeks directly through RCI, II, or SFX without using HGVC. In fact, membership in HGVC is not mandatory for owners at the Florida affiliates...and a large percentage of owners don't even belong.

So let's say Easter is week 12 on a particular year. Of all the owners who own week 12 at the Charter Club, there are maybe 1/3 that belong to HGVC. Of those 1/3, about 3/4 of these owners will use their week 12 themselves. Of the 1/4 (of the 1/3 who belong to HGVC) who don't use their week, most will rent rather than exchange. Of those who exchange, some will go directly through an exchange company rather than through HGVC. The net result? There will probably be only one or two units available AT THE MOST for Easter week at the Charter Club through HGVC. There may not be any available some years. This makes it a very difficult exchange...regardless of the fact that...technically speaking..."points are points".

Steve

Last edited:

atlanticwatergate

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about if I deposit it in RCI or II will this pull an Easter week at other nice South Florida resorts?

Thanks Again
Bernie

Steve

Reaction score
Charter Club doesn't belong to II...so that isn't an option. (Some of the other HGVC resorts do belong to II, but Charter Club does not. Sorry if I created some confusion in my earlier post.)

You can deposit your week into RCI and request an exchange, but the chances of getting Easter week in Southwest Florida in a beachfront resort are extremely slim. Just as HGVC has very little inventory, RCI has very little inventory as well.

There is a huge demand for Easter week on the beaches of Sanibel and Marco...and there is a VERY limited supply of timeshares that are deposited into the various exchange pools from those areas. Your chances aren't good. If you are willing to consider Southeast Florida...including Weston and the inland areas west of Ft. Lauderdale...then your chances will improve a great deal.

Steve