• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lihue Supermarket

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're getting in really early on our next trip to Kauai and would like to buy our groceries in Lihue before we head to the Point.

Does Lihue even have a supermarket? Thought it would make sense to get off the plane, do our grocery shopping in Lihue, and then head to the Point.

I don't like either one of the grocery stores in Koloa.

Mahalo,

Sterling

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is a list of Lihue Supermarkets + they have Costco, now.

We like Safeway the best - be sure to go online and print out a Safeway Club Card application - we save about 30% at the register with it. Just turn it in when you check out for an immediate discount.

We usually go to Safeway for groceries and WalMart for everything else.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a list of Lihue Supermarkets + they have Costco, now.

We like Safeway the best - be sure to go online and print out a Safeway Club Card application - we save about 30% at the register with it. Just turn it in when you check out for an immediate discount.

We usually go to Safeway for groceries and WalMart for everything else.

Also, Safeway is open 24/7.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Another tip about Safeway. Once you're registered for the card you don't need to carry it around with you. All you need to enter is your phone number.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another tip about Safeway. Once you're registered for the card you don't need to carry it around with you. All you need to enter is your phone number.

Yet another Safeway tip: if you already have a Safeway card, or for one of their affiliates, it's good in Hawaii. We use our VonsClub card everytime we go to HI.

Marty

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do I get to the Safeway Store in Lihue when I'm coming from the airport?

I don't ever recall seeing a Safeway store in Lihue. Anyone have an address for their store? I know there is one in Kaapa but that is the wrong direction.

Mahalo,

Sterling

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no Safeway in Lihue. I believe the only Safeway is in Kapaa.

Bee

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sterling - my apologies - Safeway is in Kapa'a and you are going the other way.

Besides Costco, it looks like the 2 biggest stores in Lihue are Star Market and Big Save. If you look at the link I posted above you will find addresses and maps. Since you don't like Big Save in Koloa, you might want to try Star Market instead - they are a small Hawaiian chain.

Last edited:

Team_Neuera

Reaction score
Safeway - Under Renovation

Just got back from Kauai on the 18th. The Kapaa Safeway is going through renovation and did not have that much of a selection. You're better off at the Foodland next door or Star Market and Costco in Lihue.

Team_Neuera

Reaction score
Safeway - Under Renovation

Just got back from Kauai on the 18th. The Kapaa Safeway is going through renovation and did not have that much of a selection. You're better off at the Foodland next door or Star Market and Costco in Lihue.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
THe Star Market tends to be very expensive compared to the other markets

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you go to Foodland, make sure you get a Maika'i card (their discount club card). They'll probably ask if you want one when you check out anyway, but if they don't just ask for an app, they just took my name and phone number and got the card. Foodland is also affiliated with Sack N Save.
Hope this helps.

Marty

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I like the Star Market ... it's on the "back" (southern) side of the mall, and you can see Costco from the parking lot so it's easy to get stuff at both places.

thheath

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're getting in really early on our next trip to Kauai and would like to buy our groceries in Lihue before we head to the Point.

Does Lihue even have a supermarket? Thought it would make sense to get off the plane, do our grocery shopping in Lihue, and then head to the Point.

I don't like either one of the grocery stores in Koloa.

Mahalo,

Sterling

He is staying in the Poipu area so going to Kapaa (Foodland & Safeway) isn't on the way there.

Costco is the cheapest but doesn't open until 1000.
Star Market has a very good selection but is expensive.
Big Save in Lihue or Koloa is ok but I try to buy items on sale.
Walmart and Kmart have a decent selection basic items and are cheaper.
Beer/wine is cheapest at Costco and Walmart but is always on sale at most stores.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Star Market ... it's on the "back" (southern) side of the mall, and you can see Costco from the parking lot so it's easy to get stuff at both places.

I don't know if they renovated it since I lived there, but it was a dump.

-David

thheath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they renovated it since I lived there, but it was a dump.

-David

Star Market is actually very clean and well stocked (for Kauai); it is the one located in the Kukui Grove Shopping center.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Star Market is actually very clean and well stocked (for Kauai); it is the one located in the Kukui Grove Shopping center.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking about. It's sort of behind the other stores in that mall.

I'm sure they must have remodeled it since I lived there. It's been more than 6 years.

-David

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Markets

We use to do our major shopping at the Star Market and then fill in at the Big Save in Koloa. We decided that it wasn't worth the effort to head into the Star Market and generally just shopped in Koloa.

Last year we did got a deal on a Costco card, and went to Costco a couple of times and filled in from the Big Save. IMHO, Costo is a little difficult for vacation grocery shopping because of the unit quantities with just the two of us.

We just don't like to run around on vacation trying to find grocery bargins. Since they remodeled and expanded the Koloa Big Save a few years ago we like it. Outside of Costco, their prices for our basic food group (wine) are some of the best around, particularly sale items.

Our arrival routine, because we arrive late from MSP, is to hit the Big Save for essentials: sushi, wine, Maui Chips, and something for breakfast. The next morning we head to Costco, and then back to the Big Save to fill in on the items we didn't need 10 pounds of!; :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Paul

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hi: Strange isn't it that the biggest town on Kauai doesn't have the biggest supermarket. Wonder why?? Getting the beer before I arrive sure sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

Sterling

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Star Market at the Kukui Grove is certainly the most convenient. You will be driving right past it and Costco. We've found it to be a resonably pleasant place to shop.

thheath

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hi: Strange isn't it that the biggest town on Kauai doesn't have the biggest supermarket. Wonder why?? Getting the beer before I arrive sure sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

Sterling

The people that own Big Save (locally) have a lot of political clout and have in the past blocked many grocery stores from building in Lihue (ie: Super Wal-Mart). The county has approved the building of a new Safeway in Lihue that will be located up from Costco and across the street from the school. I believe it is scheduled for completion sometime towards the end of 2010. This will be a welcome addition to the area.