• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HHI scooter question

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're planning to go to HHI next year. I want to bring our scooters but I'm not sure if you can ride them on the island. Sea pines is our preferred destination and I read something that motorcycles aren't allowed there.

We have Vespa's an LXV and a GTV. They are scooters but because they are more than 50 cc's they are registered as motorcycles in NY.

Any info appreciated.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I do know is that we had a friend visit us when staying at Monarch. He was on a motorcycle, and was NOT allowed past the gate.

He parked it at a shopping center and we had to go get him....

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

amisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cycles and Scooters not allowed in Indigo Run..

I am on HHI right now...if you are coming on a scooter or cycle there are some of the Plantations that do not allow them within their gates....like Indigo Run... the only thing you would you would miss is two golf courses....

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It looks like Sea Pines isn't very scooter friendly. Understandable, it looks like a quiet neighborhood with a lot of bicycle trails. While they are very quiet all motorized two wheelers seem to get lumped in with Harley type bikes with the mufflers removed.

We travel with them in the bed of a pick-up so no, we don't drive them down from NY. I might have been a little crazy to buy these things but I'm not completely nuts.

In checking out Sea Pines they seem to have a private security force that handles the traffic control. Anybody know the number for these guys? I just want to know if I'll be allowed to bring the scooters in on the pick-up. I hadn't planned on bringing the bicycles too but it looks like they would be fun to ride in Sea Pines.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Can't help you with the no. for security gate but maybe they can if you call the front desk of Grande Ocean or whatever Sea Pines resort you're staying at. The resorts give out passes for guests to put on their dash boards so they must have the no.

As far as bringing your own bike--I wouldn't. The rental rates are so reasonable. HHI is flat so you don't need gears. The fat tired bikes they rent are adequate for the ride. I wouldn't expose my bike to the salt. We ride the rentals on the beach and hose them down to get the salt off and sometimes run them back to the rental guys for more grease.

When will you be on HHI?

Suzzanne

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It looks like Sea Pines isn't very scooter friendly. Understandable, it looks like a quiet neighborhood with a lot of bicycle trails. While they are very quiet all motorized two wheelers seem to get lumped in with Harley type bikes with the mufflers removed.

We travel with them in the bed of a pick-up so no, we don't drive them down from NY. I might have been a little crazy to buy these things but I'm not completely nuts.

In checking out Sea Pines they seem to have a private security force that handles the traffic control. Anybody know the number for these guys? I just want to know if I'll be allowed to bring the scooters in on the pick-up. I hadn't planned on bringing the bicycles too but it looks like they would be fun to ride in Sea Pines.

Restricted Vehicle Access

There are strictly enforced limitations or restricted access on the types of vehicles permitted inside the Plantation. Moving vans, trucks, U-Hauls, recreational vehicles, campers, motor homes, trailers, motorized bikes, or vehicles bearing logos or advertising messages are permitted limited access in the Plantation under the Sea Pines Plantation Gate Entry and Decal policies, but are not allowed to remain in the Plantation overnight. There is reasonably priced, fenced storage available for the vehicles mentioned above behind the Park Plaza Shopping Center, just outside the Greenwood Gate. Residents may store boat trailers or logo-bearing vehicles inside closed garages at night. Any questions on vehicle entry or overnight storage should be addressed to the Security Office, telephone 671-7170.

http://www.seapinesliving.com/Sea-Pines-Security~311726~17334.htm

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Can't help you with the no. for security gate but maybe they can if you call the front desk of Grande Ocean or whatever Sea Pines resort you're staying at. The resorts give out passes for guests to put on their dash boards so they must have the no.

As far as bringing your own bike--I wouldn't. The rental rates are so reasonable. HHI is flat so you don't need gears. The fat tired bikes they rent are adequate for the ride. I wouldn't expose my bike to the salt. We ride the rentals on the beach and hose them down to get the salt off and sometimes run them back to the rental guys for more grease.

When will you be on HHI?

Suzzanne

Suzzanne,

I wasn't looking forward to packing the bikes for the trip. It's a small pick-up so it's kind of either/or. But my motto is "you can't put a price on personal creature comforts". The bikes are tricked out with rearview mirrors, headlights and taillights, removable storage/coolers, speedometer/odometer, bells and best of all very expensive but very comfortable seats. If we do bring them they won't be going on the beach.

I will call the resort but I usually like to gather as much info as possible before doing that. The when is probably SEP/OCT 2013. It's shaping up to be a 30 day road trip with stops at Cape Fear, Charleston, Savannah, HHI, Mayport FL and a couple of weeks at Ocean Pointe. We might put in a few days at DC on the way back but I think we might just want to head for the barn by then as we will have been on the road for about a month.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, you have to remember that we senior Sun City folks drive on the island. It might be dangerous for you:rofl: Hope we are home when you come so I can show you my favorite chairs on the island.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzzanne,

. . . But my motto is "you can't put a price on personal creature comforts". The bikes are tricked out with rearview mirrors, headlights and taillights, removable storage/coolers, speedometer/odometer, bells and best of all very expensive but very comfortable seats. If we do bring them they won't be going on the beach.

The when is probably SEP/OCT 2013.

Aw-w-w-w. . .wish it was next Spring.

I understand wanting the bikes you've customized. I was ready to drag ours down to OP and then HHI but after the car was loaded it was enough. Besides that Jack had the bike rack taken off the car when he had it serviced (that way he avoided "the discussion").

The bikes at Grande Ocean, SurfWatch and Barony are pretty new. Nice seats. Doubt you'll use the lights because it's pretty dicey with night riding. HHI is DARK at night and critters move about and dangle from trees (think jungle). We once raced the sunset from Barony to Grande Ocean. You get a nice removable basket and locks with the bikes. We carry a bag with us for personal stuff. You could also use a small softsided cooler in the basket. Speedometer. . .you just won't go that fast. Odometer. . .it's easy to add up the mileage with the map they give you. 4 miles from GO to Salty Dog. Bring your own bell and attach it but better yet, just say "on your left" before passing. I generally add "thank you, there's 2 of us" as we pass so they know. In Chicago I find the bell seems to annoy people to the point they won't move. But a nice "on your left" changes the attitude.