• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading from Canyon Villas to Harborside Atlantis?

gowarty

Reaction score
I've never done the request first option through Interval.

I have a prime week - Easter 2016 - for 2BR at Marriott Canyon Villas and was curious if it would be likely to get Harborside Altantis for a trade for the same week. I know it's a crap shoot based on availability but was curious what the experts thoughts.

Also, would it be better to keep it a 2BR or lock it off and go 1BR for 1BR? We have two small kids that can handle the pull out sofa.

Last questions, I know if you do the hotel directly, there are crazy taxes and fees. I assume this isn't the case for a trade, but wanted to verify.

Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Harborside at Atlantis (the timeshare) is a Starwood resorts, and it's really difficult to get:

1. Starwood controls deposits, and only deposits off-season weeks - mainly fall - you will never see Easter week deposited in II.

2. Starwood owners get first dibs on any deposits.

A far more doable plan is to rent your own timeshare, and then apply the funds to a rental directly from a Harborside owner.

-The Atlantis Hotel is separate from the timeshare and is not managed by Starwood.

-There are no mandatory resort fees if you rent from a Harborside owner.

-Big time fees if you rent directly from Harborside Atlantis (rent from Starwood.)

Last edited:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I have been searching 1 bedroom harborside using my staroptions from Sep - Dec 2015 for a while. Everything is booked, nothing left. Staroptions booking should have priority before any II exchange, and I cannot even get anything in fall. I would not be happy if SVN now deposits something into II and I cannot book anything.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Staroptions booking should have priority before any II exchange, and I cannot even get anything in fall.

They don't: Staroption reservations and II exchanges have nothing to do with each other - they come from completely different inventory pools.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is incorrect.

Sent from my iPad

You mean SVN can deposit the week into II and I cannot book the week? Right now I can't find anything for September and October. I would not be happy if SVN deposits any week for Sep and Oct. I'm looking for one and it shows unavailable.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You mean SVN can deposit the week into II and I cannot book the week? Right now I can't find anything for September and October. I would not be happy if SVN deposits any week for Sep and Oct. I'm looking for one and it shows unavailable.

See Denise's post.

Sent from my iPad

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It makes very confused. You mean Starwood doesn't show all of the inventory to the owners? They are still hiding something that you cannot use staroptions to book? I'm still new to this timeshare game, sorry if I sound stupid.

Seriously, I've been looking for 1 bedroom in fall, and I couldn't find any. Now you are telling me they actually have the room and just want to dump into II and not letting me reserve it?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The only additional fees at Harborside is optional internet which I believe is close to $100 for the week and additional HK only if you request additional Housekeeping.

I doubt Starwood ever deposits the week before or after Easter. If they did it would not make it past priority to a non Starwood owner.

The months that get deposits are January and the first week in February, every so often a random May week, September, October, non holiday November and December. It is rare for a 2 br to make it out of priority during any time deposits are made. More Lk 1 br will make it past priority or be deposited without priority.

You really don't have any chance at an Easter week at Harborside through II.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You are waaaaay to late to get a Staroption reservation for Sept. or Oct. - the reservation window for Sept. 1 opened on Jan. 1. You are almost 5 mos. to late to the party.

II inventory and Staroption inventory is completely separate, and yes, Starwood can basically do anything they want, because they control all inventory behind the scenes...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It makes very confused. You mean Starwood doesn't show all of the inventory to the owners? They are still hiding something that you cannot use staroptions to book? I'm still new to this timeshare game, sorry if I sound stupid.

Seriously, I've been looking for 1 bedroom in fall, and I couldn't find any. Now you are telling me they actually have the room and just want to dump into II and not letting me reserve it?

There are actually owners that deposit in II (even though it isn't the best use of the expensive MF staroptions) and Starwood can remove the equivalent inventory from SVN and deposit it in II. If one platinum owner deposits then Starwood can either deposit one platinum week or multiple smaller units in the off season.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are waaaaay to late to get a Staroption reservation for Sept. or Oct. - the reservation window for Sept. 1 opened on Jan. 1. You are almost 5 mos. to late to the party.

II inventory and Staroption inventory is completely separate, and yes, Starwood can basically do anything they want, because they control all inventory behind the scenes...

That's fine. Thanks for the education, I really didn't know it. I though what I see is what I get.

I will just put in an ongoing search in II then. I still have an old deposit needs to be used.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's fine. Thanks for the education, I really didn't know it. I though what I see is what I get.

I will just put in an ongoing search in II then. I still have an old deposit needs to be used.

You can try that, but for high demand exchange like this, you are probably too late. I'd make other plans for this year, and put in a request for Harborside for next year, and also be ready to make a Staroption reservation at 8 mos. before check-in, at midnight Eastern, the night before the phone lines open.

It is just way too close to Sept. and Oct. to get an exchange or Staroption reservation this year.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
II has been depositing random(1-3 at a time) 1 br LK units for September and October over the last month or so. They are showing up online without preference. They may be depositing larger units too but none are showing up online. I would still give it a shot. Unlike the Easter exchange I think if you are ok with a smaller unit then it will come through.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can try that, but for high demand exchange like this, you are probably too late. I'd make other plans for this year, and put in a request for Harborside for next year, and also be ready to make a Staroption reservation at 8 mos. before check-in, at midnight Eastern, the night before the phone lines open.

It is just way too close to Sept. and Oct. to get an exchange or Staroption reservation this year.

Thanks Denise. I will keep looking on daily basis. If I don't find anything, I probably will just bank the points on Jun-30. You guys are right, owners can deposit weeks to II and SVN has to deposit these weeks. It shoudl have nothing to do with SVN inventory.

Just too much need to learn about timeshare, i'm glad i'm in the right place.

Thanks everyone.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise. I will keep looking on daily basis. If I don't find anything, I probably will just bank the points on Jun-30. You guys are right, owners can deposit weeks to II and SVN has to deposit these weeks. It shoudl have nothing to do with SVN inventory.

Just too much need to learn about timeshare, i'm glad i'm in the right place.

Thanks everyone.

You should put in that Ongoing Search - they are supposed to be filled before inventory appears online. Best practice is to put in an OGS, AND watch the online inventory.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got tired if deposit, wait and see, trade game. So now I log on exactly when I need to reserve PRIME March spring break week, book at CV, then rent my villa and use the $$$ to pay maintenance fees and rental for another resort. So far, so good?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got tired if deposit, wait and see, trade game. So now I log on exactly when I need to reserve PRIME March spring break week, book at CV, then rent my villa and use the $$$ to pay maintenance fees and rental for another resort. So far, so good?

That's what I would do if I own CV, (actually I'm looking for a resale CV or Palm Springs right now, so I can have Marriott preference). Harborside is difficult to get even for Starwood owners. Renting might be wise option.

I already put in an OGS for Harborside for Sep-Oct, but still hope something can come up on SVN so I can save $139 exchange fee.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I already put in an OGS for Harborside for Sep-Oct, but still hope something can come up on SVN so I can save $139 exchange fee.

If you are concerned about $139 - don't go to Harborside - the prices there are scary! :eek:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are concerned about $139 - don't go to Harborside - the prices there are scary! :eek:

:hysterical:
come on. There is nothing wrong to try to save $139. :D

but it is true, if i can go, i better be ready to spend...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:hysterical:
come on. There is nothing wrong to try to save $139. :D

Absolutely not - At Harborside it will get you burgers and cokes for 4! ;)

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I was able to exchange my Hyatt for late Sept at Harborside in 2013. The weather was perfect. I think the trade came thru pretty quickly. I made the deposit in March and it matched around May-June. We even got the larger 1 bedroom. I loved it there and ended up buying 2 Gold 3 bedrooms. The restaurant prices are sky-high, however, and there is now a hefty VAT tax on all your purchases.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I have been searching 1 bedroom harborside using my staroptions from Sep - Dec 2015 for a while. Everything is booked, nothing left. Staroptions booking should have priority before any II exchange, and I cannot even get anything in fall. I would not be happy if SVN now deposits something into II and I cannot book anything.

Sent you a PM. I see availability using staroptions.