• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good use of 5 night certificate

slomac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
Trying to get some ideas on what to use our 5 night Marriott certificate for. We are a family of 5 and are tied to school schedules.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
What category is your certificate? Are you willing to bump it to a higher category with additional points?

What type of vacation are you looking for? Beach? City? Europe?

We have used MR certificates in Rome (twice), Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Paris. The best value is usually in Europe or Asia.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just used a 7 night, category 8, certificate at the Residence Inn in New York city. It was this one that overlooked Central Park. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycpr-residence-inn-new-york-manhattan-central-park/

They gave us a spectacular corner room just like the picture on the 47th floor. We couldn't even hear street noise up there.

It was wonderful and at $400+ per night we felt we received good value and were able to stay in the U.S.A.

Jan

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
What category is your certificate? Are you willing to bump it to a higher category with additional points? The best value is usually in Europe or Asia.

Or New York City or Hawaii.

Toppermom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also like opinions on using MR points for a stay in Hawaii. On the Big Island the choices are a Courtyard (Cat 7), a Marriott Resort/Spa (cat 7) and an Autograph collection (cat 8). What is the collective wisdom of Tuggers?? i am planning a 5 night stay.

Thanks

Nyla

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would also like opinions on using MR points for a stay in Hawaii. On the Big Island the choices are a Courtyard (Cat 7), a Marriott Resort/Spa (cat 7) and an Autograph collection (cat 8). What is the collective wisdom of Tuggers?? i am planning a 5 night stay.

Thanks

Nyla

I think the Big Island is the worst choice for Hawaii to use MR pionts or a five or seven night certificate for redemption. You can usually get hotel there for a fairly good price. Think the $200-$250 range. Better uses are on Maui or Oahu where prices tend to be higher. They are a high category for such a cheap hotel on cash.

alchook

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Nyla

I just booked a 5 night package at the Mauna Kea. From what I've read it's clearly an upgrade over Waikola.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are using our 5 night TP certificate this summer. We have a 5 night category 5 certificate. We are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Vancouver. It's a category 7. We upgraded by spending 35K points. The hotel is $649 a night otherwise so we feel like it's a good use of our TP.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Costa Rica? St Kitts? Europe? IMHO look for high cost properties that will allow you to visit and wouldn't want to pay for. That's what we use them for.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a tough call for us. If we're staying 5 nights, we would much rather stay in a TIMESHARE than a hotel. And if we're staying in a timeshare, it's much cheaper to just exchange in (for us).

But the general wisdom is Europe, Asia, NYC, Hawaii, etc. Those are the places where you usually get the best redemption value.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

Thanks

Nyla

The Mauna Kea is a wonderful resort. It is not cheap and I would use MR points there is a heartbeat.

Toppermom

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Mauna Kea is a wonderful resort. It is not cheap and I would use MR points there is a heartbeat.

I just booked 5 nights at the Mauna Kea for April 2016 and am looking forward to the stay! Interestingly, the cancellation policy is 2 weeks prior to arrival. Not a problem, but I have not seen that before!

Thank you,

Nyla

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just booked 5 nights at the Mauna Kea for April 2016 and am looking forward to the stay! Interestingly, the cancellation policy is 2 weeks prior to arrival. Not a problem, but I have not seen that before!

Thank you,

Nyla

I think most of the Hawaii properties is 7 days before arrival. Since this is really an independent hotel with an affiliation with Marriott, a longer cancellation policy isn't too surprising.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to try to use the 5 night certificate as part of a ten day trip where you are getting five nights via points Sunday through Thursday. That way you can maximize the airfare portion.

Don't be afraid to stay in a Residence Inn. You get a full kitchen and can transition easily to/from a timeshare.

Your best values for using the five night certificate is going to be in places that are lower priced to begin with. It would be real easy to do something like Orlando (timeshare) then a beach oriented stay with the certificate somewhere a couple hours from Orlando. Same trick could work with Newport Beach and San Diego or LA. Maybe Williamsburg and Virginia Beach or Williamsburg and Washington, DC or Baltimore.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Your best values for using the five night certificate is going to be in places that are lower priced to begin with. It would be real easy to do something like Orlando (timeshare) then a beach oriented stay with the certificate somewhere a couple hours from Orlando. Same trick could work with Newport Beach and San Diego or LA. Maybe Williamsburg and Virginia Beach or Williamsburg and Washington, DC or Baltimore.

Perhaps I am not understanding your point, but it seems to me that the best values for using a 5-night certificate are the higher priced properties. Could you elaborate on your reasoning?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
You see a 14-day cancellation deadline at several of the top Hawaii resorts. As one example, it is the policy at the Grand Wailea on Maui, where we stayed last November. All of the Marriott timeshares in Hawaii except the Kauai Beach Club also have 14-day cancellation policies for stays booked on marriott.com.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree that the best option is to use on higher priced properties. The properties are already priced on a per point basis so lower or higher are already adjusted. My suggestion is about getting value out of both airfare and staying in properties (Residence Inn) that allow you the same kitchen, etc. and leveraging the same rental care, etc. Staying where you can leverage the lower priced five night stays just saves you money.

If you are looking at the flight and five night stay as totally separate transactions, then do whatever floats your boat.

Perhaps I am not understanding your point, but it seems to me that the best values for using a 5-night certificate are the higher priced properties. Could you elaborate on your reasoning?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I disagree that the best option is to use on higher priced properties. The properties are already priced on a per point basis so lower or higher are already adjusted. My suggestion is about getting value out of both airfare and staying in properties (Residence Inn) that allow you the same kitchen, etc. and leveraging the same rental care, etc. Staying where you can leverage the lower priced five night stays just saves you money.

If you are looking at the flight and five night stay as totally separate transactions, then do whatever floats your boat.

So what you are saying is to only get a category 5 certificate instead of a category 9?

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would certainly go for a category 5 (or the lowest category that met my needs). The hotel portion of the package is the worst value, so I wouldn't want to waste more points on that than I had to. I'd rather have more points left over towards my next package, and maximize my miles.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We opted for 5 night Category 5 cert when we cashed miles to fly biz class to Asia. Imwas able to extend cert and now using it for stay at fairfield inn ( cat 5) in San Carlos, CA. Going to visit grandkids over the Fourth and staying at the house is tight, to say the least. We only need to pay one night and marriott agent split res so we pay for week-end night which us $100 less than week night. So no, it us not luxury property but it does afford us opportunity for comfortable visit. Aldo cashed in miles for first class flights outbound . This is reality when families reside thousands of miles apart.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are using our 5 night TP certificate this summer. We have a 5 night category 5 certificate. We are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Vancouver. It's a category 7. We upgraded by spending 35K points. The hotel is $649 a night otherwise so we feel like it's a good use of our TP.

What is a "TP" certificate? TIA.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the math works but I always feel like I can splurge on accommodations when using points. I know in the long run I'll just have to use the wallet sooner but that's when I wear my pants with deep pockets.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. That's why my examples included places that you can get category 5 stays in a Residence Inn for a good value. I'd be fine with category 6 if that's what it takes.

My definition of value is based on a number of things including space, proximity to attractions, free breakfast (and more), a kitchen and BBQ grills to save on eating out, a pool, on site washer and dryer, and multiple beds and sleep sofas.

For example, take my Williamsburg and DC ten day stay. It is simple to get a Sunday to Thursday at Manor Club. Use minimal points and drive up to DC and stay at any number of RIs from Old Town Alexandria, Arlington, or even in DC proper for category 5 or 6. Use the airfare for either flying into DC or save the miles for a better value.

So what you are saying is to only get a category 5 certificate instead of a category 9?

ccpinternational

TUG Member
Reaction score

I still like the Renaissance cross the street with more rooms overlooking the harbor. And it has better service than the Marriott (at least for platinum guest).