• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting to Canadians - How to handle the payment?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
What does everyone here do when renting a US timeshare to Canadians? That's what I'm looking at right now, and am a little unsure how to go about it. I don't want to use Redweek's escrow service because I don't believe the fees are worth it, and I won't be able to contact the bank until Monday to see what kind of rules they have around it (Canadian bank check in USD) in terms of clearing time, etc.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have accept Canadian bank checks in USD amounts for years. Ask your guest whose bank is the processing US bank .. usually is a BIG name bank, like Citibank. And your US bank processes it like a regular US bank account.

With enough lead time on the check clearing ... you should be fine. Like 3 weeks.

The "USDollar" or "USD" is printed under the numeric numbers "box" ... so the face looks like this:
Jane Smith ..............$1000.00 USD or US Dollar
One Thousand dollars and no cents .....

Small town banks will tell you WEEKS to clear as they do not understand the difference between a US Dollar account and a check written for DRAWING CAD funds.

If your checkin is less than 4 weeks away ... use Paypal ... add the cost into the price of your rental.

Last edited:

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paypal is easy they can pay credit card that way and you get the money right away. About 3% cost though iirc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I use Paypal with Canadians - and everyone else.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe that a Canadian bank check in USD will actually be drawn against a US bank. So there shouldn't be any issues with it. Though I agree with Denise, just use PayPal.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know how it works but I have an Australian customer that pays me through paypal. she uses Australian dollars and I get paid in US dollars

ask your customer what works for them, I have lots of Canadians as my neighbore (in the winter) and they all have US bank accounts. I would bet your guy does too

Bottom line, is he is coming here, Hes gonna have to do some currency conversion

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. The renter actually e-mailed me before I could reply asking if they could pay with PayPal to make it easier, which I'm fine with in this case, so that's the route we're going.

This Grande Ocean unit was on Redweek for less than 20 hours before it was rented, which has to be a new record for me.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I accept bank to bank transfers in CDN dollars. Current day exchange rate less 3%. It helps to soften the blow of the exchange rate. Or a credit charge in USD. Either way I give them the option so they can decide.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only the case for US bank DRAFTS

I believe that a Canadian bank check in USD will actually be drawn against a US bank. So there shouldn't be any issues with it. Though I agree with Denise, just use PayPal.

As a retired banker (30+ years) in both countries I would like to add a point of clarification: If a Canadian bank issues a Bank Draft (i.e. an official cheque drawn on its own account) then yes, it will actually often (but I am uncertain if always) be drawn on a US domiciled bank.

However, many Canadian banks have US denominated accounts for their customers. These are just ordinary chequing accounts from that financial institution that happen to be denominated in US funds.