• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Loan Pay Off

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I know you all frown upon this but when we purchased our Canyon Villa week directly through Marriott, we arranged financing through them. I called today to pay it off - wanted to pay with Marriott Credit Card and then do zero % balance transfer to another card. Apparently the only form of payment accepted for loan payoff is check. Do you know if this is indeed correct info?
TIA!

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way to pay using the credit card is if you use it at the time of purchase. After that, they are correct, you can not use the card to pay the loan.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way to pay using the credit card is if you use it at the time of purchase. After that, they are correct, you can not use the card to pay the loan.

Actually that is NOT the case as we make monthly payment using our Marriott Visa!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually that is NOT the case as we make monthly payment using our Marriott Visa!

Wow. That is a nice perk. I don't think I have heard of being able to pay a loan with a credit card. Banks don't like paying cc fees on principal and interest receipts.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you get a check from the credit card company?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Wow. That is a nice perk. I don't think I have heard of being able to pay a loan with a credit card. Banks don't like paying cc fees on principal and interest receipts.
But the banks and Marriott like getting paid on time every month!

tynian16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am shocked you can make your monthly payment by credit card. Never heard of that in my life.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first thought was to go online and see if you are able to make payments with credit card.

I know that maintenance fees can be paid online with cc.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Usually but you won't get the rebates, which is really the only motivation to pay by credit card in my opinion. The float time isn't worth much to a consumer and if they need it for cash flow then worse trouble probably lies ahead.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
So I know you all frown upon this but when we purchased our Canyon Villa week directly through Marriott, we arranged financing through them. I called today to pay it off - wanted to pay with Marriott Credit Card and then do zero % balance transfer to another card. Apparently the only form of payment accepted for loan payoff is check. Do you know if this is indeed correct info?
TIA!

Can't you get a check from the cc company? Sometimes they mail those checks to use either for cash advance or pay off something w/ a check. That normally has your name on top left just like a regular bank check.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm guessing the OP wants to use her Marriott CC for the points - you don't get point when you use the credit card checks.

Tommyhob

TUG Member
Reaction score
visa

You can make your monthly payments on the loan with the credit card with the auto charges each month. Same amount every month.

But if you want to pay off the loan, they do not let you pay the extra lump sum on the card. AKA, they are happy to let you use the card as long as they are making good $$ on the interest you're paying on the loan.

Agree with other poster, they'll let you put the big payment to pay it off on the card, but only within ~30 days of purchase.

I think this has been reviewed here before, but maybe wrong.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I suppose I could do with Chase Visa check and then do zero percent balance transfer to another card. But I always destroy those checks as soon as they arrive.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the OP wants to use her Marriott CC for the points - you don't get point when you use the credit card checks.

yup, would have been nice to get the points
and we own 2 weeks with Royal Resorts which I paid off with credit card, no problem!!!

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Monthly payments but not a large lump sum to pay it off though you can use the card to buy it at once without a loan. I was indeed confused.

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could do with Chase Visa check and then do zero percent balance transfer to another card. But I always destroy those checks as soon as they arrive.
You can just use the check of the 0% credit card and not flip the balance....you wouldn't be getting MR points regardless.

Last edited:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
account is set up for auto pymt via Chase Marriott Visa
I also pay maintenance fees with our card

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
When we had a loan on our HGVC timeshare, I always made the payments via Hilton Amex. When I went to pay off the loan, they would not let me make a single large payment via the Amex. However they would let me make larger than normal payments via the Credit card. I made the maximum payment allowed, the called back in a few days to a make an additional payment.. kind of a hassle, but I paid off the loan and got the points. Perhaps Marriott would allow something similar

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UthTrvlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
TIA!

That is correct, you cannot payoff a loan with a credit card. There are several reason behind that. First, you could dispute a charge up to six months after payment. By that time MVCI would have removed their name off the deed as the lien holder, causing a huge mess. Second, the vendor fees for processing cards is anywhere from 3-10%, while paying monthly the interest helps offset that cost.

In terms of making monthly payments toward your loan using a card, that was a promotion run my MVW for financed contracts dated January 2, 2014 or later. This promotion allows the owner(s) to pay their loan via Automatic Credit Card transactions regardless of the owner living domestically or internationally. This was only for the normal monthly amount, nothing extra to principal.

Even for international owners, they still have to make their final payment via a check in U.S. funds, or wire transfer.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct, you cannot payoff a loan with a credit card. There are several reason behind that. First, you could dispute a charge up to six months after payment. By that time MVCI would have removed their name off the deed as the lien holder, causing a huge mess. Second, the vendor fees for processing cards is anywhere from 3-10%, while paying monthly the interest helps offset that cost.

In terms of making monthly payments toward your loan using a card, that was a promotion run my MVW for financed contracts dated January 2, 2014 or later. This promotion allows the owner(s) to pay their loan via Automatic Credit Card transactions regardless of the owner living domestically or internationally. This was only for the normal monthly amount, nothing extra to principal.

Even for international owners, they still have to make their final payment via a check in U.S. funds, or wire transfer.

We gave been using our Marriott Visa to pay monthly loan prior to 2014.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

If you decide to use one of those checks, be sure to read the fine print. They usually have a percentage charge with a minimum fee.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean

Uth trvlr is correct. Once set up via Credit card payment you can make every regular payment that way. You cannot make additional payments of principal or pay off the loan using the credit card. Even where it says manage your loans on the my-vacation web site, if you put in an amount to make a payment, it will take you to a 3rd party site (run by an arm of Visa, ironically) where you have to put in your bank info from your check to make the payment.

I just got off the phone with a Marriott Financial services person who confirmed all of this.

The best way to do the transaction, if you can is to put it all on your Marriott Visa card and then pay that off with a zero % credit card advance if you need to, but as others mentioned those checks or advances carry fees of at least 3%.
Good luck.
Brian

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The best way to do the transaction, if you can is to put it all on your Marriott Visa card and then pay that off with a zero % credit card advance if you need to, but as others mentioned those checks or advances carry fees of at least 3%.

Not always. Barclays is continually running specials with a 1% fee on their 0% balance transfers, some Chase cards routinely run 2% specials, and we have one Barclays card with no transfer fee at all (but a high interest rate).

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Not always. Barclays is continually running specials with a 1% fee on their 0% balance transfers, some Chase cards routinely run 2% specials, and we have one Barclays card with no transfer fee at all (but a high interest rate).

Boca Boy, I just got an email offer from Barclays today for a 2% fee with 0 interest until Jan, 2018. That's about the lowest fee I've seen. I will keep my eyes open for the 1% offer in the future.
Thanks.